Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #31
clareyfairymouse
Mouseketeer

I'd never been to WDW before working there so I don't really know what it's like to see it from a holiday perspective (other than the comments from the guests) but I think it's a great place to chill out on your way around World Showcase. The British Invasion was one of my fav shows to see in the park (not sure what the new band are like), there's some really good character interaction and the pavilion theming is realy cute/quaint.
A really good place to watch illuminations from as well!
When going back to the UK pavilion on hols I now bore my DH with "when I worked here......." stories.

2004 - IP UK Pavilion, 2008 - 1st WDW Holiday - Pop Century, 2010 - WDW Wedding - Wedding Pavilion & Stayed at Wilderness Lodge 2013 - Florida Keys & Port Orleans Riverside
clareyfairymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #32
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzie B View Post
Agree, good place to meet 'British' characters, I always find it entertaining in the sports shop part too - American kids are drawn to the 'strange balls' (Rugby ones). I love the red phone boxes & the gardens are beautiful. We don't spend as much time browsing worldshowcase now as we once did though.

It's funny , the one we seem to always skip is France - no idea why DH never wants to linger there, we've never even seen the film or been in the shops - standing joke in our family nowthat he always wants to rush past. The longest we spent there was when we met Marie once. (Sorry Chmurf)
Intriguing that the American children are so fascinated by the rugby balls. Surely, American footballs are a similar shape.
We avoid the UK pavilion. We go on holiday to experience other things. We can get British beer, fish and chips etc at home.

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #33
madasahat
Earning My Ears

we allways stop for a beer or 2 bit of a traditin now
madasahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #34
Nicnic
Mouseketeer

Love the UK pavilion, grab a Woodpecker cider and a seat overlooking WS and just relax for a few mins! That area behind the fish shop is a great place if you can get a seat, we have had some lovely times just sitting there. Then it's off to the shop where you get to see pooh and the gang with usually very little que.
The kids like the little maze in the rose garden and it is very peaceful there, we usually head there when the youngest is asleep in the stroller.
Nicnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #35
Shazzie B
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
Intriguing that the American children are so fascinated by the rugby balls. Surely, American footballs are a similar shape. .
Yeah, I'm not sure what it is-perhaps the weight as it's when they pick them up.

May 2002 All Star Movies; May 2003 La Quinta 192; Dec 2004 Nikki Bird; April 2006 Holiday Inn & Dolphin Beach, St. Petes; Aug 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge; Aug 2008 Coronado Springs; Aug 2009 Highlands Reserve & Animal Kingdom Lodge; Oct 2010 Best Western Lakeside; Oct 2012 Arcadia Gardens; Sept 2013 Old Key West;Sept 2014 Transatlantic on Magic

Shazzie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #36
duffdo
Mouseketeer

Personally I like the UK pavilion. It just portrays the "perfect, Disneyfied" image of Britain, which I think is quite charming! The shops aren't great and the fish and chips isn't much better although the food in the Rose and Crown dining room is reasonable and is an awesome place to watch Illuminations. I don't spend any more or less time there than I would any other country in World Showcase!
duffdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #37
madasahat
Earning My Ears

fish and chips were better when they were harry ramsdons
Orlando sun Villa 2011 , Orlando sun Villa 2012

madasahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #38
Laszkowicz
Mouseketeer

Ill take a look when we go for our 1st time.

I must say though apart from fish n chips I don't think the menus is very English. Don't think we'll eat there.

For extra effect we need some asbo yobs on pub corner lol, only joking.

I'm looking forward to WS But kids n wife don't like to try different things (food)
Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #39
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszkowicz View Post

I'm looking forward to WS But kids n wife don't like to try different things (food)
Try plan it so that you get to the USA pavilion around lunch time and let them eat there. Then you can grab something elsewhere. DD and I almost always eat at different places in WS and whoever gets their food first takes it to go and we eat it together wherever we stop for the second meal
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #40
Wolf65
Earning My Ears

Last year I actually lingered at the UK pavillion (lured by the band that were really good) and loved it.I wandered through the shops and loved the quaintness.I probably wouldn`t have if it wasn`t for the music and that I had seen everything else,but didn`t want to leave the park.It was very relaxing as the lights came on in the evening and gave the whole place that extra `magicness`.Peaceful and enchanting and quite quiet,except there was a long line for the chips which I really fancied and hardly ever eat at home.Think I settled for Italian Pizza instead which was lovely.
Wolf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #41
starrysky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblackstars View Post
We don't stop at UK either, we will walk through the shop and giggle at how much the sweets are and stop if there is a character but that's all. They should do something else with this pavilion, even a movie would be good, one covering all of the UK, not just England. If they sold Irn Bru there I would definitely stop in to grab some!
Irn bru float on a hot day bliss.
I agree though its somewhat one sided on the English style of the uk.
We live very close to several award winning fish and chip shops so absolutely no desire to eat at the rose and cown.
Can't believe the amount they charge for sweets but we are the same high price for American ones here. Standard size bag of peanut butter m&ms here is around £2.
We like 2tiggies nip into the shop to see what they sell. Sadly lacking tbh in some wonderful items we make here in the uk. Would love to see them stock items like Caithness glass etc. we have some wonderful brands but is so narrowly represented.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:58 AM   #42
Alibaba
Ali in Wonderland

DH and i always stop here (mainly for the Woodpecker for me haha). But seriously we love walking round saying ooh look Les Cadbury Fingres(ala Peter Kay) etc etc. And laughing at the prices, i love the disney take on England. We also always comment on what we would change. I always say i would open a little tea shop and do a CS afternoon tea, and DH would have an Ice Cream van and do 99's with juice and bits.

We love the UK pavilion and love watching Americans order a yard of ale.

Alibaba

2004 - Country Inn & Suites,Kissemee, Key Largo and Key West. 2007 - Courtyard by Marriott, LBV. 2009 - Villa Windsor Hills
2010 - 28th Oct 6 nights Comfort Inn LBV 10 nights POFQ
2012 - Saratoga springs/akl
Alibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:57 AM   #43
Tinkerbell1989
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba
DH and i always stop here (mainly for the Woodpecker for me haha). But seriously we love walking round saying ooh look Les Cadbury Fingres(ala Peter Kay) etc etc. And laughing at the prices, i love the disney take on England. We also always comment on what we would change. I always say i would open a little tea shop and do a CS afternoon tea, and DH would have an Ice Cream van and do 99's with juice and bits.

We love the UK pavilion and love watching Americans order a yard of ale.

Alibaba
I love the idea of a cream tea shop, and an ice cream van! X

2013's Big Celebration Christmas Trip 'Finally got my own way!'...October 2012 TR Playing 'I Spy' in Disney... December 2010 TR Our Youtube Channel

DLRP August 2004 DLRP June 2008

WDW October 2000 WDW April 2003 WDW December 2006 WDW December 2010 WDW CSR October 2012 WDW December 2013
Tinkerbell1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:42 AM   #44
thestevied
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1989 View Post

I love the idea of a cream tea shop, and an ice cream van! X
Ice cream van would be so refreshing.
1st trip - July 1989 WDW, 2nd trip - Aug1993 WDW, 3rd trip - July 1997 Tokyo Disneyland, 4th trip - June 1999 WDW, 5th trip - Sept 2002 WDW, 6th trip - Sept 2003 WDW, 7th trip - Feb 2004 Euro Disney, 8th trip - Jan 2005 WDW, 9th trip - June 2005 WDW, 10th trip - Sept 2006 WDW, 11th trip - Sept 2007 WDW, 12th trip - Oct 2008 Disneyland, 13th trip - Sept 2009 WDW, 14th trip - Sept 2010 WDW AKL, 15th trip September 2011 - Dolphin resort, 16th trip - September 2013, Yacht Club, 17th trip - September 2014, Dolphin Resort

thestevied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #45
BethEJo
I left the house at 5.45am - that's unheard of for a student
WDW CM 19/06/11 - 02/09/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba View Post
DH would have an Ice Cream van and do 99's with juice and bits.
What a wicked idea!! Let's start campaigning now lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba View Post
But seriously we love walking round saying ooh look Les Cadbury Fingres(ala Peter Kay)
I LOVE this hahahaha I just laughed so hard that my drink went everywhere! I recently watched this standup again and love that bit! Hilarious
BethEJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: