Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
royal99
Earning My Ears

UK Pavilion Epcot

In all my trips to Epcot I must only spent literally a minute or two in uk as I pass through to check out the other lands. Reason for this is:

A) I go holiday to leave the u.k so don't really want to eat fish and chips and drink british beer I could do this at home, it reminds me of people that go to spain and head straight to british pub.
B) It seems a waste, why don't we have a proper ride like Norway or cinema like canada?

Does anyone else like me avoid it? I read a lot of people on here rave about it so if you are a big fan persuade me why I should head to UK on my next WDW holiday and if persuaded I might head on over
royal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
BethEJo
I left the house at 5.45am - that's unheard of for a student
WDW CM 19/06/11 - 02/09/11

We love it! Many a time we've enjoyed a quick fish and chips whilst waiting to watch Illuminations from that area - yes, you can get fish and chips back home, but so can you get pretty much all of the other food in Disney too!

We also like to get a nice cold pint from the little stand outside the Rose and Crown to watch Illuminations with - can't fault it after a hot, sticky day! We're eating at the Rose and Crown this year - have booked it for the evening, so hoping to tie it in with Illuminations. I can't wait; yes it's a 'British' pub, but we also have a few friends working there this year as part of the Cultural Rep Programme, so that draws us there too!

Granted, the shops aren't great, but I will walk around them purely for entertainment value! Have you seen the price on Fruit Pastilles in there?!
BethEJo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Disneynutinlondon
It's been such a blast with all the lurkers and fluffing
I seem to be whitering on in a constant stream of random thoughts
I think I'll just go with the small one

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal99 View Post
so if you are a big fan persuade me why I should head to UK on my next WDW holiday and if persuaded I might head on over
Winnie the Pooh and Tigger too ...... need I say any more ...... they hang out in the UK pavillion
Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
royal99
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethEJo
We love it! Many a time we've enjoyed a quick fish and chips whilst waiting to watch Illuminations from that area - yes, you can get fish and chips back home, but so can you get pretty much all of the other food in Disney too!

We also like to get a nice cold pint from the little stand outside the Rose and Crown to watch Illuminations with - can't fault it after a hot, sticky day! We're eating at the Rose and Crown this year - have booked it for the evening, so hoping to tie it in with Illuminations. I can't wait; yes it's a 'British' pub, but we also have a few friends working there this year as part of the Cultural Rep Programme, so that draws us there too!

Granted, the shops aren't great, but I will walk around them purely for entertainment value! Have you seen the price on Fruit Pastilles in there?!
Ok your selling it quite well so far and definitely having friends working in the pub is a massive draw.

Doing a bit of rooting around I see a boat ride was once considered. Being the Internet this may of been made up but still think it would really benefit from a type ride down memory lane!
royal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
queendisney
DIS Veteran

if you are in need of a sit down and a bit of a relax, then the garden at the back of the UK pavilion is bliss, its so quiet. I love the UK part, I know it really only portrays an 'English' setting as opposed to a UK one but I think its well done and the street entertainers are worth waiting for. Must admit we aren't a fan at all of the Rose and Crown food but certainly wouldn't march on through the UK just because I've come all the way from the UK..DH spends a lot of time in the shops there just so he can say 'look at the price of this compared to home?!'

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneynutinlondon View Post
Winnie the Pooh and Tigger too ...... need I say any more ...... they hang out in the UK pavillion
and Mary Poppins..DH always comments on how pretty she is..

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Tinkerbell1989
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal99
In all my trips to Epcot I must only spent literally a minute or two in uk as I pass through to check out the other lands. Reason for this is:

A) I go holiday to leave the u.k so don't really want to eat fish and chips and drink british beer I could do this at home, it reminds me of people that go to spain and head straight to british pub.
B) It seems a waste, why don't we have a proper ride like Norway or cinema like canada?

Does anyone else like me avoid it? I read a lot of people on here rave about it so if you are a big fan persuade me why I should head to UK on my next WDW holiday and if persuaded I might head on over
I have to say, I agree with you a little bit with regards to the fish and chips comment... we have never eaten there because we can get fish and chips at home! However, i LOVE that it gets such rave reviews! I do love the shops and going for a wander around the gardens :-) xx

2013's Big Celebration Christmas Trip 'Finally got my own way!'...October 2012 TR Playing 'I Spy' in Disney... December 2010 TR Our Youtube Channel

DLRP August 2004 DLRP June 2008

WDW October 2000 WDW April 2003 WDW December 2006 WDW December 2010 WDW CSR October 2012 WDW December 2013
Tinkerbell1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

The UK has the best phinaeus and ferb Agent P mission - involving a tea bag, red phone box and a golf ball!
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 39 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

If anyone is there for the flower and garden festival the english country garden they did was stunning - sponsored by twinnings so lots of tea themed details.
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 39 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
BethEJo
I left the house at 5.45am - that's unheard of for a student
WDW CM 19/06/11 - 02/09/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
The UK has the best phinaeus and ferb Agent P mission - involving a tea bag, red phone box and a golf ball!
Sounds intriguing! Looking forward to doing that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
If anyone is there for the flower and garden festival the english country garden they did was stunning - sponsored by twinnings so lots of tea themed details.
Squeeeeee - will be there for that this year! Sounds lovely
BethEJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

We do the Pooh and Tigger meet and greet and then scuttle out of there. I don't think we've ever explored the entire pavilion Also, last September DD said she wanted to try the fish and chips. Chip shop food is not something we eat; in fact I don't think we've ever ordered from a chip shop Of course this was an ideal time for her to try something new. She picked all the batter off the fish and picked at the fish inside and said it was good. She ate 2 chips and said they were greasy. We went round to Morocco and I ordered another meal there.

This is probably just fluke but we have encountered the most unfriendly CM's in the UK pavilion too. Just no personality, no interaction, really don't wanna be there sort of vibe.

Yeah, we skip it and I don't see it changing. I pay thousands to get out of the UK for 2-3 weeks - I don't want to spend time in a replica
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

Watching the band in the gardens on a hot summers day can be fun and I agree the back of the gardens can be relaxing. We ate once at the Rose and Crown but we can get better pub food round the corner so have only done it once. I do like some fish and chips towards the end of the holiday to make me feel at home though.... When we stay at the Beach Club me and DS like to wander over to the UK pavilion if we've got nothing else on to watch illuminations last minute. He has some chips and I have a pint Have not ventured into the actual pub for 15 years to the week. Too chaotic every time we've looked in since.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
ukool
Mouseketeer

We did Epcot on our first day, and my mum got all excited in the UK shop - ' wow they have walkers crisps' etc... we had been in the states one day and she was happy to see 'familer' food in the shop.

I liked it though, nice to have a walk round and their was some kind of street entertainment going on which was fun.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 AM   #14
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

We went into the Rose & Crown last August and waited an age to be served while the CMs behind the bar chatted to other patrons and each other. Then, when one did actually get round to serving us, she was unhelpful and unfriendly. It was just like being at home

Seriously, we love the fish and chips - yes, we can get fish and chips at home but it isn't the same as sitting eating it, looking out over the World Showcase Lake at the rest of World Showcase, being content and enjoying the beautiful weather.

We love the tea garden and the kids love the maze, although Daniel is tall enough to be able to see the exit route now - it was more fun when he wasn't. British Invasion are worth a listen too - can't beat sitting in the summer heat, with an ice cold one watching British Invasion
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #15
Shazzie B
DIS Veteran

Agree, good place to meet 'British' characters, I always find it entertaining in the sports shop part too - American kids are drawn to the 'strange balls' (Rugby ones). I love the red phone boxes & the gardens are beautiful. We don't spend as much time browsing worldshowcase now as we once did though.

It's funny , the one we seem to always skip is France - no idea why DH never wants to linger there, we've never even seen the film or been in the shops - standing joke in our family nowthat he always wants to rush past. The longest we spent there was when we met Marie once. (Sorry Chmurf)

May 2002 All Star Movies; May 2003 La Quinta 192; Dec 2004 Nikki Bird; April 2006 Holiday Inn & Dolphin Beach, St. Petes; Aug 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge; Aug 2008 Coronado Springs; Aug 2009 Highlands Reserve & Animal Kingdom Lodge; Oct 2010 Best Western Lakeside; Oct 2012 Arcadia Gardens; Sept 2013 Old Key West;Sept 2014 Transatlantic on Magic
Shazzie B is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: