Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #16
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Showcaser View Post
I have heard of Gaylord Palms...in fact I think I drove by. But I don't know anything about it. I'll take a look at the pics just for fun.
Gaylord Palms is stunning. We were there over Christmas for the ICE! attraction (a feature of the resort during every holiday season) and were super impressed. They have an enormous indoor atrium (something like 4 acres under glass) that is so beautiful. There's even alligators from Gatorland inside, koi fish to feed, etc. I was going to try to post some photos, but Photobucket seems to be having issues. You can check out my trip report (see the link in my signature), more toward the end of the report, for some pics of the atrium and whatnot. I am sure I included at least a few of them in the TR.

Gaylord Palms also has a "Shrek Feast" every Saturday and Sunday at their onsite restaurant, Villa de Flora. Food was fantastic, and character interaction was great. Fiona was the only face character, but she was very chatty even thought we didn't have little ones with us. I must say I was delighted to meet Puss In Boots.....what can I say, I am just a big kid . Food wise, it was the most expansive breakfast buffet I think I've ever seen. The character meal is open to guests of the resort and non-guests alike.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Showcaser View Post
This is a great tip! I wouldn't have known about it.

I have heard of Gaylord Palms...in fact I think I drove by. But I don't know anything about it. I'll take a look at the pics just for fun.

Thank you very much. I realized after starting the thread that I likely posted it on the wrong board.
You're welcome. There's a monthly payment plan which is what I use because I buy 3 annual passes every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
Gaylord Palms is stunning. We were there over Christmas for the ICE! attraction (a feature of the resort during every holiday season) and were super impressed. They have an enormous indoor atrium (something like 4 acres under glass) that is so beautiful. There's even alligators from Gatorland inside, koi fish to feed, etc. I was going to try to post some photos, but Photobucket seems to be having issues. You can check out my trip report (see the link in my signature), more toward the end of the report, for some pics of the atrium and whatnot. I am sure I included at least a few of them in the TR.

Gaylord Palms also has a "Shrek Feast" every Saturday and Sunday at their onsite restaurant, Villa de Flora. Food was fantastic, and character interaction was great. Fiona was the only face character, but she was very chatty even thought we didn't have little ones with us. I must say I was delighted to meet Puss In Boots.....what can I say, I am just a big kid . Food wise, it was the most expansive breakfast buffet I think I've ever seen. The character meal is open to guests of the resort and non-guests alike.
Thanks for this information! We wanted to stay at Gaylord Palms for our April trip but there were no rooms.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #18
Enjoying Life
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at the Portofino once and the Hard Rock a few times. We prefer the Hard Rock. The rooms are nicer at the Portofino but the Hard Rock has a much cooler pool area and is closer to the parks. Both are pretty expensive (over $200 a night). For that much you might be able to get a room at the best hotels in town (the Ritz Carlton or the Waldorf Astoria). I'd stay at the Hard Rock, but only if I was going to the parks.
Enjoying Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for your reviews. I think that Hard Rock and Gaylord Palms sound really really cool. Has anyone stayed at the Nick Hotel?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
keywestbride
Mouseketeer

We stayed at Hard Rock this past October. It was amazing! Our room was really nice, the pool was awesome, gorgeous views, nice transportation to the parks, and stellar service. The website does not do it justice.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #21
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran

I'm happy to hear that there are some cool non-Disney options.