Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
bellelab
Mouseketeer

Very Random Questions

We are doing primarily a Disney vacation in October with 3 park days then a 4 night Disney cruise. We disembark our cruise early in the a.m. on a Thurs. and were planning on taking it easy that day. On Fri. we are planning on IOA because our group has huge HP fans. We have never done US/IOA but have been to WDW many times! We fly out on Sat. So my questions are:

1. I know everyone says do the parks before the cruise and we are doing WDW but IOA isn't an option beforehand because of work schedules. So, will it be that bad to do one day of parks after our cruise?

2. We aren't sure where we're staying yet but if we stay on-site, can you still get the front of the line pass with military tickets? Do the onsite hotels offer any type of military discount? I didn't see anything on their website.

3. Our party consists of: my parents, my brother and sis-in-law with their 3 kids (ages 9,7,2), myself and DH with our kids (ages 9,6). A couple of the kids are big HP fans but for the rest, is Seuss Landing enough for them? They are all Dr. Seuss fans. Are there characters out and about? All the kids are very into characters.

4. If we do not stay on-site, do you know if any of the hotels around US and IOA offer parks transportation and airport transportation?

5. Technically, it is possible to do 2 park days with US the day we get off our cruise. Would that be too much? We won't be going to US otherwise, just IOA but like I mentioned before, HP is our priority!

Thank you so much!

bellelab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellelab View Post
We are doing primarily a Disney vacation in October with 3 park days then a 4 night Disney cruise. We disembark our cruise early in the a.m. on a Thurs. and were planning on taking it easy that day. On Fri. we are planning on IOA because our group has huge HP fans. We have never done US/IOA but have been to WDW many times! We fly out on Sat. So my questions are:

1. I know everyone says do the parks before the cruise and we are doing WDW but IOA isn't an option beforehand because of work schedules. So, will it be that bad to do one day of parks after our cruise? This summer, Transformers and Simpsonland is to be open. Expect even bigger summer crowds. Not sure of October, but be aware US and maybe even IOS will close early for Halloween Horror nights. To go to the Horror night, is a separate, and sometimes exprensive ticket. Like the Disney special nights.

2. We aren't sure where we're staying yet but if we stay on-site, can you still get the front of the line pass with military tickets? Do the onsite hotels offer any type of military discount? I didn't see anything on their website. First, if you stay on site, where and what kind of tickets has nothing to do with your hotel key. The hotels are not owned by USO, so you don't have to bundle tickets and hotel. I think there is a military discount on the hotels. Call and ask the hotel. I am military, but I used an AP rate that was good for me and bought my kids' tickets at the ITT. Slight savings over the undercovertourist.com ticket price. Your room key will get you an express pass for the day you check in through the day you check out. So, with even 1 night, you get 2 days of express pass. It is not a front of the line in that you only get to go in the express line at most (but not 3) of the rides in both parks. Your room key will also get you early entry to Potterland.

3. Our party consists of: my parents, my brother and sis-in-law with their 3 kids (ages 9,7,2), myself and DH with our kids (ages 9,6). A couple of the kids are big HP fans but for the rest, is Seuss Landing enough for them? They are all Dr. Seuss fans. Are there characters out and about? All the kids are very into characters. I thought there was alot of characters around. Lines tend to not be that long. The youngest will enjoy suessland, the dinosaur lab, and there are other play areas. The pet show in US is also fun for kids. Childswap is available, and all go through the line, then break off in the swap room or area. Know that USO is a thrill ride park. That said, I love looking at everything, and Potterland is really neat to look at the details.

4. If we do not stay on-site, do you know if any of the hotels around US and IOA offer parks transportation and airport transportation? No hotel that I know of has free transportation to the airport. With on site, you can walk or take a boat ride. Some of the neighboring hotels have free shuttles and I think some are close enough to cross some large streets. Know the on sites have a parking free of $18 plus tax, and the parking garages are around that rate too.

5. Technically, it is possible to do 2 park days with US the day we get off our cruise. Would that be too much? We won't be going to US otherwise, just IOA but like I mentioned before, HP is our priority!
I think 2 days is doable, especially if you stay on site. The drive from the port is not that far.

Thank you so much!
Have an awesome trip!

Last edited by Lynne G; 03-14-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:

1. I know everyone says do the parks before the cruise and we are doing WDW but IOA isn't an option beforehand because of work schedules. So, will it be that bad to do one day of parks after our cruise? I have not ever done a cruise/park combo, but we like to go to IoA/US after WDW. The day you check into an on-site hotel, is the day your privileges start. So you could check in early to your hotel, after disembarking from your cruise and go to the parks that day.

2. We aren't sure where we're staying yet but if we stay on-site, can you still get the front of the line pass with military tickets? Do the onsite hotels offer any type of military discount? I didn't see anything on their website. I am not sure about a military discount. I would call the hotel's directly and see if they offer military discounts.

3. Our party consists of: my parents, my brother and sis-in-law with their 3 kids (ages 9,7,2), myself and DH with our kids (ages 9,6). A couple of the kids are big HP fans but for the rest, is Seuss Landing enough for them? They are all Dr. Seuss fans. Are there characters out and about? All the kids are very into characters. My kids are older, so we are not into characters. WWoHP is amazing, but you won't find any characters there. There are a couple of entertainment troupes out, singing frog choir and Dumstrang/Beaubations show. We did tour Seuss Landing, but did not notice any characters there, but we were not looking for them. There are lot's of rides/shows for all ages at IoA and US.

4. If we do not stay on-site, do you know if any of the hotels around US and IOA offer parks transportation and airport transportation? We have only stayed on site, so I am not much help here. I would recommend staying onsite if at all possible. The hour early entry into WWoHP, location of hotel and Unlimited Express pass makes staying on site worth every penny to us.

5. Technically, it is possible to do 2 park days with US the day we get off our cruise. Would that be too much? We won't be going to US otherwise, just IOA but like I mentioned before, HP is our priority! I am not sure what time you would arrive at US. Some days in Oct have a night time separate ticket event, Universal horror nights and the park closes early for that. With the unlimited express pass, we were able to tour US easily in 3/4 of a day.

Thank you so much!
Sounds like a fun trip, hopefully you will be able to work US and IoA into your schedule

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
2. We aren't sure where we're staying yet but if we stay on-site, can you still get the front of the line pass with military tickets?
Your tickets and Express passes are completely separate items and are not attached. You can get a military discounts on park tickets but no discounts are ever given on Express Plus passes. Assuming you aren't staying onsite, you can purchase the Express Plus pass which allows you to have access through the Express line once for each participating attraction. Prices vary based on the park and the date in question. You can also purchase unlimited Express access (like you'd get staying onsite) and your park tickets are included. You will need to check the website for your date and how many days you would want to have access for the price...but it can be very pricey. You'll have to do the math to see if its worth your while.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

you'll need a couple of rooms if all 11 in your group plan to stay onsite.

the military room rate is available.
you have to call reservations for the booking and apply the MIL room discount.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Your tickets and Express passes are completely separate items and are not attached. You can get a military discounts on park tickets but no discounts are ever given on Express Plus passes. Assuming you aren't staying onsite, you can purchase the Express Plus pass which allows you to have access through the Express line once for each participating attraction. Prices vary based on the park and the date in question. You can also purchase unlimited Express access (like you'd get staying onsite) and your park tickets are included. You will need to check the website for your date and how many days you would want to have access for the price...but it can be very pricey. You'll have to do the math to see if its worth your while.
Right, purchased express passes are not discounted. Though the price of them will generally give you an idea of the expected crowds. $45 or under, generally means a less crowded day. The price of an express pass can change, as USO may think more or less people are coming that day. Also note, the express pass is date, and park specific, with no refunds. That is why, most of us on the DIS say to purchase after seeing what the park looks like. The passes are sold all over the place in both parks. Note: the express pass will not be good for the Forbidden Journey, the EE ride in Potterland (as well as the Flyers (a really slow lined kids ride) in IOA and the Rip Red Rockit in US.)
Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
bellelab
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the responses! You have all been very helpful!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
bellelab
Mouseketeer

I did not take into account HHN. Does IOA close early too or only Universal? If we did work in the 2 park days I am wondering if it would be better to go to Universal on that Thurs. and then IOA on Fri., if it has a regular closing time? I am assuming there would be HHN that late in October (Would be the 24th and 25th).

Old 03-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I did not take into account HHN. Does IOA close early too or only Universal? If we did work in the 2 park days I am wondering if it would be better to go to Universal on that Thurs. and then IOA on Fri., if it has a regular closing time? I am assuming there would be HHN that late in October (Would be the 24th and 25th).
Normally only the studios close early for HHN...BUT there are rumors out there ( obviously not yet confirmed or denied) that HHn will also expand to or change to IOA this year..No way to know yet.But if it follows the usual, only the studios are affected by HHN
Old 03-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
October 24 & 25 (Thursday and Friday) are both HHN nights so the Studios will close at 5PM both nights while IoA will close at 7PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: