Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #91
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
Good try. I am NOT reading all of that. I ask again, How many times has RCI left people stranded at sea or at port because their ship broke down? No one disputed "incidents". One poster tried to use Carnivals size as an excuse. Well, RCI is almost identical in size, yet don't have as many issues. Why is that? Oh, and how about the link to Carnival's incident page.
Here's one below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
I got stranded at port with RCI in APril 2005. I was on the Grandeur of the Seas when it hit the pier in Mexico. They did not handle it well at all. The wouldn't tell us what happened even though we felt the crash and saw all of the other people snapping pics. They trapped us on the ship for an entire day (supposed to be our day in port) while they hung up tarps to cover the hole in the ship. They disabled the internet and phones aboard so we literally could not communicate with the outside world. Then we got stuck in port extra time, they did let us off the ship, but everything in post was closed since there was not supposed to be any ships there that day. They ended up evacuating us from the ship and we had to fly home. I missed the jazz festival in new orleans, never got reimbursed for the hotel reservation I could not cancel (no phones or internet) and got home late and missed an extra day of work. Had to lug all my luggage across a large field in Mexico to get to the little plane they sent us home on. I got a 100 refund from RCI. Does that sound like a fun vacation to you? I will NEVER give RCI another dollar as long as I live. That was not a vacation it was awful. And talking on the phone with them to try to get compensated was like banging your head against the wall. I felt they should have paid for my missed hotel and my flight change fees.
And here's another one, Celebrity this time (RCI owned):

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/p...ship-/127533/1

This was two days into a 12 day cruise in Europe and from everything I've read, Celebrity basically told the passengers to fend for themselves. They had to make their own arrangements to get home and it was during French transportation strikes.

ALSO: August 2011, Serenade of the Seas had to leave San Juan hours early to avoid Hurricane Irene. Of the 145 guests left behind, 130 of them didn't purchase airfare through RCI and were left on their own. As it was a "weather related incident", RCI didn't even volunteer to pick up the hotel bill for the night. (this isn't maintenance related but certainly says a lot about customer service, as does the reaction to the maintenance problem on the Century above).

There was the poison gas leak in 2005 on RCI that killed three crew and hurt 19 others, but they didn't get trapped in port or at sea. The judge did rule that they were guilty of gross negligence when they continued to sail with measures that allowed exposure of passengers and crew.

Are those the types of incidents you are looking for?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #92
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

Everyone is different and everyone has a different experience. I will not sail Disney any time soon. It was the worst cruise I have ever had and having paid so much more than any other cruise for this horrible experience just doesn't seem like a good idea.
I sailed the Carnival Dream in Oct. and had no problems at all. We had a great time and the food was wonderful. Our steward on the Dream was great (big difference from the Magic) and our wait staff were the best (again big difference). It is really interesting how the news people try their best to get one thing and blow it up so big and the stupid thing is people actually believe it. Oh well, you can't fix..
I love Disney and can't wait to go back to the parks but will not be booking any Disney cruise in the future.
We do only 7 and up night cruises on Carnival. We have not had any problems with people. On Disney it was one thing after another.
Now I know that everyone's experience is different so when someone tells me they are going on a Disney ship I tell them to have a good time. And I hope that they do. But the same should be said to me. One cruise does not make you an expert on a ship or line and I realize that, just wish others would as well.
tigercat
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #93
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Here's a question for the people who have said they would never cruise on Carnival....
Have you cruised with them already?

Or are you just saying this based on what you've heard, or seen in the media?

The reason I'm asking is because BEFORE I cruised with Carnival, I used to say that they would have to pay me to go on one of their cruises, and that was based on what I'd heard, mostly on the DIS.

Then, lo and behold, someone DID pay for me to go on Carnival and I had a great time. It IS different than DCL, and it should be. They should ALL be different.

Since then, I've sailed Carnival three more times and have always had a really good time. Their newer ship, the Magic, has a lot of features that I only wish Disney would add.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #94
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

My 2¢.

Carnival has a lot of ships, more than many other cruise lines. More ships=more problems.

The only reason this problem with the Dream is news is because of what happened with the Triumph last month.

As others pointed out, every cruise line has issues sooner or later.

I've been on two cruises in my life. One was on Premier, back in the 80's, when "the Big Red Boat" was Disney's official cruise line. The other was the Carnival Valor, three years ago. Loved my cruise on the Valor, and we're booked on the Carnival Breeze in August. I expect we'll have a great time.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards
Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #95
Skywalker
Finds good homes for stray tags
Elevators freak me out
Have you seen my coolness?
If hell exists, it will be filled with spiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
Good try. I am NOT reading all of that. I ask again, How many times has RCI left people stranded at sea or at port because their ship broke down? No one disputed "incidents". One poster tried to use Carnivals size as an excuse. Well, RCI is almost identical in size, yet don't have as many issues. Why is that? Oh, and how about the link to Carnival's incident page.
Well if you don't want to read it what was the point of asking? There are incidents on the page involving being stranded at a port (17 hours) or hobbling along with crippled engines, missed ports because of engine failures etc. Why ask for a link to Carnival's incidents, just so you can refuse to read that too?

The website is called cruisejunkie, it lists all incidents on all lines. My only point was, all lines have incidents. You may think "nothing could ever happen on Disney, or RCI, etc etc" but you'd be wrong.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #96
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Sometimes you get what you pay for........those ships are dumps.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #97
suzanna1066@comcast.
DIS Veteran

I have never been on a cruise and frankly have no desire to go on one. Maybe I'm wrong but the thought of being stuck on a crowded ship does not appeal to me at all.

That said, I was open to the idea until I saw a documentary about one of those mega-ships a couple of years ago. The turnaround time in port is way too short to convince me those ships aren't filthy. There is no way they can thoroughly clean up after 3,000-5,000 passengers in a couple of hours. After I watched that, my husband and I said no way, no how.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #98
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
...at least in the toilets.........

[

Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #99
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Built at the same shipyard as the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, at the same time as the Magic. This shipyard has built 3 of the 9 ships I have sailed on. Wonder why Carnival is having issues?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #100
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Yeah, you need a passport to drive from Niagara Falls, NY to Niagara Falls, Canada, but you can cruise the Caribbean without a passport. The cruise industry lobbied long and hard for the "closed loop cruise" exception; it's supposed to make it cheaper and more convenient to take a cruise. It's one of those things you don't need . . .Until you do.

I haven't heard the stats for the Dream, but there were over 3,000 passengers on the Triumph and about 800 of them did not have passports. I'd guess about 1/3 of tge Dream passengers were similarly situated. John Heald posted on facebook that Carnival was working with officials in St. Maarten and ICE personnel in this country to expedite paperwork so that the passengers could get home.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #101
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVERENOUGHWDW View Post
Sometimes you get what you pay for........those ships are dumps.

You have been on these ships?
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #102
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanna1066@comcast. View Post
I have never been on a cruise and frankly have no desire to go on one. Maybe I'm wrong but the thought of being stuck on a crowded ship does not appeal to me at all.

That said, I was open to the idea until I saw a documentary about one of those mega-ships a couple of years ago. The turnaround time in port is way too short to convince me those ships aren't filthy. There is no way they can thoroughly clean up after 3,000-5,000 passengers in a couple of hours. After I watched that, my husband and I said no way, no how.

They are constantly cleaning so it isn't an issue. The room stewards clean your cabin twice a day and the common areas are constantly being cleaned.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #103
MouseEarsJenny
DIS Veteran

Well, here's a third Carnival ship having trouble, so by the rule of "bad things come in threes" all should be well now, right?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/14/travel/carnival-problems/

Childhood Visits Offsite, FW Cabins 2002, Pop 2006 (Incomplete Trip Report/Scrapbook), CSR Grand Gathering July 2009 (Trip Report), Pop 2010 (Trip Report)
Old 03-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #104
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
You have been on these ships?
Just on Carnival 1 time, that was enough.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #105
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

This is all extremely concerning but honestly Carnival can't be that bad. They have a large fleet of ships, sail to a ton of places around the world, and lots of people sail on their ships. There has to be something good about them aside from the price. They aren't free so people are paying something for whatever experience they provide. Will I sail Carnival? I have no idea. I'm happy with DCL right now and their ships don't sail anywhere out of the local ports that I want to sail to. Thing is there are people who LOVE Carnival. Gotta be something decent and fun about them I would think. It's horrible what's happened to these passengers lately. Carnival may have maintenance or production issues for sure. I hope they fix them so that no one else has to suffer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: