Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #61
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

On another note....how is it that Carnival and Disney can both name a ship "Dream"?

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
Old 03-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #62
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I don't know if I should yell at Carnival (metaphorically speaking) for screwing up again, or applaud them for catching a potential issue before leaving port. To many contradictory reports.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #63
mikehn
DIS Veteran

I just read they are cancelling next week's sailing also. Hope they resolve the situation soon. This is the height of spring break. Im hopping on a Norweigian ship in a couple weeks, this crap better not happen.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #64
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
All true. Although, it's a waste of breath on this board to point out that half the rumors these people are running with are false. The Carnival Dream is not without power, it never was. There is a propulsion issue and they are keeping it in port in order to ensure that there ISN'T a bigger problem getting it back to the US. Which is what they should do.

These things happen all the time, to lots of ships, the media just doesn't report them. I can think of issues with Princess, Crystal and Celebrity off the top of my head. Oh, and here's another rather BIG ship with a propulsion issue:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...iego-warships/
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKay View Post
Before we all start slating Carnival again, it does happen to cruise ships even Disney, although not yet. The staff of the Disney Magic have a little ryhme which I cant remember how it goes although, they say that the Magic is held together by "faith, trust and picxy dust and a huge pot of glue"

It can happen to any ship, just so happens to be Carnival decade for it after the Concordia, Triumph and Dream.
Yes, but consumer's perceptions of cruising have taken a big hit, with Carnival experiencing a 13% drop in purchase intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikellaCinderella View Post
I believe they can only fly home if they have passports!! What are the rest of them going to do?! Another reason to NEVER sail without a passport!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post
That is correct. The same reason you cannot Medivac back to the U.S. from a ship without a passport. We always travel with our passports for these reasons.
I just don't understand why people continue to sail without passports. Yes, I know that technically, you don't NEED them.

But for the cost and investment of time and energy into going on a cruise, why not just GET the passport and not have to worry about not being able to get back?

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Old 03-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #65
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
On another note....how is it that Carnival and Disney can both name a ship "Dream"?

There are multiple ships with the same names. I think they use the full name, though....such as "Carnival Dream", "Disney Dream"....

BTW...Carnival had the Dream first. And maybe the Fantasy...or is it another line that has the Fantasy?
We were on the Carnival Magic (which Disney had first) and LOVED it. Awesome ship.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #66
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
There are multiple ships with the same names. I think they use the full name, though....such as "Carnival Dream", "Disney Dream"....

BTW...Carnival had the Dream first. And maybe the Fantasy...or is it another line that has the Fantasy?
We were on the Carnival Magic (which Disney had first) and LOVED it. Awesome ship.
The Carnival Fantasy has been sailing since 1990.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #67
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
Just read on John Heald's Facebook page that they are working with the authorities in St Marteen and US to get everyone back (including those without passports) and anticipate no problems. So, apparently there is a back up plan in place to deal with that exact problem of no passports. Personally, I always bring a passport since I use it for other travel, but this should make those who travel on a birth certificate feel better about their decision.
How long will it be before Carnival makes having a passport mandatory (like it should be)?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #68
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMinnie

How long will it be before Carnival makes having a passport mandatory (like it should be)?
Is it up to the cruise line, the country being sailed to/from, or the port?

The agency I contract for makes us tell everyone they need a passport. If they choose not to get one we are limited to how much assistance we can provide if they need to fly home in an emergency.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #69
jenny105
DIS Veteran

I'm really starting to rethink the Carnival cruise I have booked in October.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #70
Acklander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMinnie View Post
I think the rules are set by the government, not the cruise lines.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #71
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post

Carnival does have a Fantasy. We sailed on it back in the late 90's. It was our first cruise and we HATED it!! We swore we would never cruise again. Then we decided to give Disney a try since we love all things Disney. Now we LOVE cruising and have been on several Disney cruises and have another planned.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #72
Skywalker
Finds good homes for stray tags
Elevators freak me out
Have you seen my coolness?
If hell exists, it will be filled with spiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
What about RCI? It's got to be a lot since they have so many more ships than DCL, right?
RCI has incidents, read the list:

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Events_by_RCI.html

There are at least a few engine / propulsion problems on there.

And yes, Disney has a page too.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #73
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post
The U.S. will deny them entry without a passport. They will need to work on obtaining emergency passport paperwork from St. Maarten, which will take probably a few days.
Q: What is going on with Carnival Dream? What happened?

While at dock in St. Maarten yesterday, the ship’s engineering team conducted a regularly scheduled test of the ship’s emergency diesel generator. A malfunction occurred which has rendered the emergency generator inoperable. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power sources were not impacted. However, for a period of time last night, there were interruptions to the elevators and restroom services. Toilets and elevators are currently working, and have been since about 12:30am.

Q: Where was the ship when the problem occurred?

The Carnival Dream was at dock in St. Maarten during a regularly scheduled port of call visit and remains there currently. All passengers are safe and comfortable.

Q: Did the ship lose power?

At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power sources were not impacted.

Q: Why is the ship not able to sail back to Port Canaveral?

While the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source were not impacted, in an abundance of caution, we prefer not to sail with guests on board without an operational back up emergency generator.

Q: Are the toilets and elevators working?

Toilets and elevators are currently working, and have been since about 12:30am.

Q: Is it true that toilets were overflowing and sewage on floors, in hallways, etc.?

We have had multiple conversations with the ship’s management team. Based on the ship’s service logs and extensive physical monitoring of all public areas, including restrooms, throughout the night, we can confirm that only one public restroom was taken offline for cleaning based on toilet overflow and there was a total of one request for cleaning of a guest cabin bathroom. Aside from that there have been no reports of issues on board with overflowing toilets or sewage. The toilet system had periodic interruptions yesterday evening and was fully restored at approximately 12.30am this morning.

Q: Are guests allowed to get off the ship?

Guests have the option to get off the ship to visit the port of St. Maarten until their scheduled return home. We have also arranged complimentary water taxi service for guests who wish to explore other areas of the island.

Q: What is going to happen with the guests from here?

All guests are being flown via a combination of commercial and private chartered air to either Orlando, which is the closest air gateway to Port Canaveral, or to their final destination depending on their individual needs.

Q: Is it true that Carnival is flying everyone to Miami and putting them on buses?

No.

Q: What kind of compensation will they receive?

Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

Q: Are you cancelling future cruises?

We have cancelled the ship’s next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March, 16. Guests scheduled to sail on this cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing. Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Q: How many passengers and crew are onboard?

There are 4,363 guests and 1370 crew on Carnival Dream.

Q: What are you doing to help passengers without passports?

We have already addressed this issue with the relevant authorities and the guests will not have an issue traveling without passports.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
Old 03-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #74
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehn View Post
I just read they are cancelling next week's sailing also. Hope they resolve the situation soon. This is the height of spring break. Im hopping on a Norweigian ship in a couple weeks, this crap better not happen.
And if it does?

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
Old 03-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #75
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMinnie View Post
Why should it be mandatory in your eyes?
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: