Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #31
MikellaCinderella
Addicted to Disney Cruises!

I believe they can only fly home if they have passports!! What are the rest of them going to do?! Another reason to NEVER sail without a passport!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1106 View Post
WOW They're having to be flown home! Not even giving full refunds, only refunding the last 3 days.

Update on Carnival Dream
March 14, 2013- 10:45 am

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue with the ship’s backup emergency diesel generator which our engineering team is currently working on. Yesterday, during regularly scheduled testing of the ship’s emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source was not impacted. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. All guests are safe and comfortable. There were periodic interruptions to elevators and restroom services for a few hours last night. However, all hotel systems are functioning normally and have been functional since approximately 12.30am.

While personnel continue to work on the technical issue we are making arrangements to fly all guests home via private charter flights and scheduled flights from St. Maarten. Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

We are also cancelling the ship's next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March 16. Guests scheduled to sail on this cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing.
Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Yesterday was a scheduled port of call visit to St. Maarten. Guests were able to spend the full day in port and have the option of continuing to do so until their scheduled return home. All of the ship's activities and facilities are fully operational.

We are very sorry for this disruption to our guests' vacation plans and extend our sincere apologies. We look forward to welcoming them back on another Carnival cruise.

The Carnival Dream was on the last leg of a seven-day cruise and was docked in St. Maarten when the technical problem arose. The ship is based in Port Canaveral, Fla.

***WE HAVE COMPLETED OUR GRAND SLAM (April 21, 2012)!!! WOO HOO!!*** Upcoming: Re-Imagined Magic 12/04/13*** Disney Dream 04/12, Disney Dream 11/12, Disney Fantasy 04/12, Disney Dream 09/11, Disney Magic 02/09, Disney Magic 02/04, Disney Wonder 09/03, Disney Magic 06/03, Disney Magic 08/02, Big Red Boat (prior to DCL's existance) 05/97...and too many trips to WDW to count!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #32
Tower
DIS Veteran

I've sailed on the Dream with my family of 5. I didn't care for the Dream at all, service was lacking when compared to the Magic that was in port the same time we were in PC. Carnival is cheap because they cheap out on many service areas. I'll never sail with them again.

Did not like the ship either. Too confusing to get around. I liked the simplicity of the Magic.

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #33
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1106 View Post
WOW They're having to be flown home! Not even giving full refunds, only refunding the last 3 days.

Update on Carnival Dream
March 14, 2013- 10:45 am

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue with the ship’s backup emergency diesel generator which our engineering team is currently working on. Yesterday, during regularly scheduled testing of the ship’s emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source was not impacted. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. All guests are safe and comfortable. There were periodic interruptions to elevators and restroom services for a few hours last night. However, all hotel systems are functioning normally and have been functional since approximately 12.30am.

While personnel continue to work on the technical issue we are making arrangements to fly all guests home via private charter flights and scheduled flights from St. Maarten. Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

We are also cancelling the ship's next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March 16. Guests scheduled to sail on this cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing.
Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Yesterday was a scheduled port of call visit to St. Maarten. Guests were able to spend the full day in port and have the option of continuing to do so until their scheduled return home. All of the ship's activities and facilities are fully operational.

We are very sorry for this disruption to our guests' vacation plans and extend our sincere apologies. We look forward to welcoming them back on another Carnival cruise.

The Carnival Dream was on the last leg of a seven-day cruise and was docked in St. Maarten when the technical problem arose. The ship is based in Port Canaveral, Fla.
They are flying them home on charters (with the option of staying in St Maarten a few days if they want and "living" on the ship which has fully functioning facilities), refunding them the portion of their cruise impacted by the problem, giving them a 50% discount on a future cruise....and that isn't enough for you? You don't want much, do you?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #34
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikellaCinderella View Post
I believe they can only fly home if they have passports!! What are the rest of them going to do?! Another reason to NEVER sail without a passport!!!
They're flying ALL guests home; not just those with passports.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #35
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikellaCinderella View Post
That is correct. The same reason you cannot Medivac back to the U.S. from a ship without a passport. We always travel with our passports for these reasons.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #36
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
They're flying ALL guests home; not just those with passports.
The U.S. will deny them entry without a passport. They will need to work on obtaining emergency passport paperwork from St. Maarten, which will take probably a few days.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #37
WishingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta
.....how do you say "this ship is a piece of crap" in French?....
Le bateau est un morceau de merde..
2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP

Planning my "I'm 43 and just graduated from University" trip, August 2015

Me DH DD15 DD4
Old 03-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #38
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

On this issue I think Carnival is doing the right thing. Maintenance issues can creep up regardless of the upkeep of routine maintenance. Emergencies happen all the time. They are handling it correctly by having it checked while in port.

They are also doing the correct thing by keeping everyone on board ship for the moment. Until they determine the cause, they can not determine how long it will take to fix. If they find that it might take an extended time say 12 hours to fix then there would probably be no issue leaving the cruisers off the ship with a return time.

The ship is not due back to it's port until Saturday so at this point one can not say if flight schedules will be missed.
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #39
ladyleslie
Mouseketeer

Even with the great prices they are offering on some of their cruises - how do they fill a ship with their diminshing reputation??

** From my family and friends to yours - may all of your cruising dreams come true! **
** Dream - Aug 14 & 17 & 21, 2014 ** Fantasy - August 17, 2013 & Art of Animation ** Magic - Aug 17, 2012 ** Dream - Aug 25 & Aug 28, 2011 & Caribbean Beach ** Wonder - Aug 29 & Sept 1 2010 & Caribbean Beach ** Wonder - Aug 23, 2009 & Caribbean Beach **Coronado Springs - Feb 2009 ** French Quarter - Sept 2008 ** All Star Sports - Sept 2007 ** All Star Music - Oct 2006 ** Off Site - April 2002 ** Off Site - Aug 1989 ** Disney Campsite - Aug 1982 **
Old 03-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #40
ChrizJen
I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo!!
Sorry about the lack of linkage
Oh, I can't believe what I let you people rope me into!!

I agree that they're doing the right thing. If they made the choice to risk it and leave port with a ship full of passengers and propulsion problems, they'd get blasted for taking the chance of another stranding situation at sea.
I do feel bad for any passenger who may have trouble flying back because of passport issues, but as others have said, travelling without a passport is a choice people make. We're all warned that the safest way to travel is with a passport.
As for refunds, I think they're being fair with that also. One thing we learned on our second cruise is that cruise travel is never guaranteed. Things can and do change in the blink of an eye. Our itinerary was completely changed on our cruise due to a hurricane. We had to rearrange our schedules and rebook reservations and excursions, and it was a hassle. And there were LOTS of angry passengers cursing while waiting in line at Guest Services. But at the end of the day, we were all safe and still had a good time. I think that as long as the passengers are still living under good conditions, there's food available, and they're able to enjoy the ship, then they're not owed anything. Carnival is absolutely doing right in this situation by offering to refund the last portion of the cruise. No criticism here.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #41
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

For those commenting about maintenance issues, the Dream is less than a year old. I think it's HIGHLY likely that there is a design issue, not a failure to maintain the ship. I could believe maintenance with the Triumph, but the Dream is too young for that to be an issue.

Note that both ships came from the Fincantieri shipyard. Which also built the Magic and the Wonder. When this issue occurred with the Triumph, there was a lot of discussion (unresolved) as to the extent to which Fincantieri was responsible for the design on the Magic and Wonder, and whether those ships could be susceptible to the same issues.

One thing to keep in mind is that DCL operates 4 ships, while Carnival operates 24 ships. Odds are you'll see more issues with Carnival, because there's more opportunities for them to occur.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #42
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyleslie View Post
Even with the great prices they are offering on some of their cruises - how do they fill a ship with their diminshing reputation??
There is nothing that Carnival can do to stop people from cruising with them.
Cigarettes are still smoked despite lung cancer. Meth is still used despite the debilitating consequences associated with it. People still drive drunk, run from police, etc.....

People ignore risks everyday. Since your likelihood of death on a Carnival ship is significantly lower than the others that I named, people will cruise with them.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #43
FabFivePA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom View Post
For those commenting about maintenance issues, the Dream is less than a year old. I think it's HIGHLY likely that there is a design issue, not a failure to maintain the ship. I could believe maintenance with the Triumph, but the Dream is too young for that to be an issue.
I believe the Carnival Dream is about 4/5 years old.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #44
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

Ohh Carnival.....

It is a bit frightening to wake up and once again the Carnival Cruise Line is making headlines and not in a good way. I have never done a Carnival cruise, in fact we have only done DCL, but seeing Carnival cruise always on the news because their ships are having issues, is not quite inviting. My intention is not to bash Carnival, but clearly they need to service their ships better or it might be the end of them. I am very aware that accidents can happen on ANY cruise line and I think it is important for everyone to keep that in mind, but it seems like the maintenance of the Carnival ships is not up to date.

[

Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #45
gomagic
Go Bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom View Post
Actually, Carnival Dream has been sailing since September 2009

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: