Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #16
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
The news said they couldn't confirm that the toilets were backing up.

They're docked in St. Maarten, I would assume they're not being allowed off the ship because it's open-ended as to when they might depart. I suppose they could still give them a time to be back.

This will not be good publicity for Carnival though. This is the third time they've had a ship stranded within a few years. That's if you don't count the Costa problems.
I've read several reports (on cruise critic) from people ON the Dream that say they were briefly without toilets and elevators but that was resolved quickly. BTW, I've also read several first hand accounts of the people on the Triumph that state the only reason there might have EVER been overflowing sewage in that situation was from people doing it intentionally. And that there was never a food shortage...quite the opposite.

Not to let the facts get in the way of a good story....... This does look bad, though. Happening too frequently, regardless of the reason.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
Buckeye218
DVC Member since 2004

If I were Carnival Corp's, Public Relations Director, I would be demanding a HUGE raise....and a lifetime supply of wigs/toupees as I would have no hair left by this time.
Dis Dads Club Member #85

Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern April 2013 Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern September 2006
Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western June 2012 Disney Wonder 4 Night October 2005

Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern March 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Western October 2004
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

These delays could really mess up return flights home and return to work and school plans. That would suck big time. Glad they are docked and not stranded out to sea.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #19
KappaSigHero
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas

I've read several reports (on cruise critic) from people ON the Dream that say they were briefly without toilets and elevators but that was resolved quickly. BTW, I've also read several first hand accounts of the people on the Triumph that state the only reason there might have EVER been overflowing sewage in that situation was from people doing it intentionally. And that there was never a food shortage...quite the opposite.

Not to let the facts get in the way of a good story....... This does look bad, though. Happening too frequently, regardless of the reason.
I've seen the same accounts. Much of the overflowing was due to those who continued to operate toilets after they stopped working. I've also seen accounts that the infamous "onion sandwiches" were mainly due to hoarders taking out the meat.

This is bad for Carnival, though. They may need to look at their maintenance schedules for their fleet, long term.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaSigHero View Post
I've seen the same accounts. Much of the overflowing was due to those who continued to operate toilets after they stopped working. I've also seen accounts that the infamous "onion sandwiches" were mainly due to hoarders taking out the meat.

This is bad for Carnival, though. They may need to look at their maintenance schedules for their fleet, long term.
All true. Although, it's a waste of breath on this board to point out that half the rumors these people are running with are false. The Carnival Dream is not without power, it never was. There is a propulsion issue and they are keeping it in port in order to ensure that there ISN'T a bigger problem getting it back to the US. Which is what they should do.

These things happen all the time, to lots of ships, the media just doesn't report them. I can think of issues with Princess, Crystal and Celebrity off the top of my head. Oh, and here's another rather BIG ship with a propulsion issue:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...iego-warships/
Old 03-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #21
KappaSigHero
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas

All true. Although, it's a waste of breath on this board to point out that half the rumors these people are running with are false. The Carnival Dream is not without power, it never was. There is a propulsion issue and they are keeping it in port in order to ensure that there ISN'T a bigger problem getting it back to the US. Which is what they should do.

These things happen all the time, to lots of ships, the media just doesn't report them. I can think of issues with Princess, Crystal and Celebrity off the top of my head. Oh, and here's another rather BIG ship with a propulsion issue:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...iego-warships/
The problem with 24-hour media that is dependent on ad revenue is that news organizations report stories in a way that will entertain and draw in ratings rather than inform the populace.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #22
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

This disappoints me because I actually was considering going on the Dream, Magic, or Breeze. I assumed that the newer ships would be immune to these issues.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

Old 03-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
ChrizJen
I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo!!
Sorry about the lack of linkage
Oh, I can't believe what I let you people rope me into!!

I actually feel really bad for Carnival. As a company, they obviously need to take a close look at their fleet and and decide if these are ships that need to be retired or if they need to rethink the maintenance routines. Either way, they need to do something fast.
As for the poor crew members aboard those ships...It sounds like they're doing a stellar job of dealing with the circumstances.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #24
McDonald5
Mouseketeer

Yah, you can count me as another one that couldn't be paid to step foot on a Carnival ship. However, my BIL married some woman who is OBSESSED with Carnival. They go on at least one a year. There's nothing that could scare her off of the cheap party ships and there's a lot of people out there just like her. Which is why they'll always stay in business even though they fail to maintain their ships like they should (Triumph was due for maintenance in 2011 and still hadn't gotten it) and are constantly having issues like this.

As for those saying things weren't that bad on the Triumph... I suppose if you think it's any better to have halways lined with bags of feces (some of which ripped open) than to have a backed up toilet, then sure. It wasn't that bad.

Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western Caribbean Oct-Nov 2013
Old 03-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #25
CS1106
Earning My Ears

WOW They're having to be flown home! Not even giving full refunds, only refunding the last 3 days.

Update on Carnival Dream
March 14, 2013- 10:45 am

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue with the ship’s backup emergency diesel generator which our engineering team is currently working on. Yesterday, during regularly scheduled testing of the ship’s emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source was not impacted. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. All guests are safe and comfortable. There were periodic interruptions to elevators and restroom services for a few hours last night. However, all hotel systems are functioning normally and have been functional since approximately 12.30am.

While personnel continue to work on the technical issue we are making arrangements to fly all guests home via private charter flights and scheduled flights from St. Maarten. Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

We are also cancelling the ship's next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March 16. Guests scheduled to sail on this cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing.
Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Yesterday was a scheduled port of call visit to St. Maarten. Guests were able to spend the full day in port and have the option of continuing to do so until their scheduled return home. All of the ship's activities and facilities are fully operational.

We are very sorry for this disruption to our guests' vacation plans and extend our sincere apologies. We look forward to welcoming them back on another Carnival cruise.

The Carnival Dream was on the last leg of a seven-day cruise and was docked in St. Maarten when the technical problem arose. The ship is based in Port Canaveral, Fla.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #26
StephenKay
DVC Member VWL 2001

Wink Casting the First Stone

Before we all start slating Carnival again, it does happen to cruise ships even Disney, although not yet. The staff of the Disney Magic have a little ryhme which I cant remember how it goes although, they say that the Magic is held together by "faith, trust and picxy dust and a huge pot of glue"

It can happen to any ship, just so happens to be Carnival decade for it after the Concordia, Triumph and Dream.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #27
dpuck1998
I'm innocent I tell you...innocent! I've been framed!

Worlds second largest Miami Dolphin fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaSigHero View Post

So the toilets aren't working so you aren't suppose to use them? Just cross your legs and wait??

Aug03'Yacht Club Concierge;Feb04'OKW;Oct04'Poly;Jan05'SSR;Jan06'SoG;April06'BCV/RPR;Jan07'BCV;
March07'Cruis'en;Sept07'HRH/MNSSHP;Dec07'Xmas@BCV;June08'VWL;May09'AKV/Podcast Cruise;Dec09'BCV/AKV for Xmas
April10'POR
Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #28
MikellaCinderella
Addicted to Disney Cruises!

Add me to the Never-sail-Carnival list! Yuck!

***WE HAVE COMPLETED OUR GRAND SLAM (April 21, 2012)!!! WOO HOO!!*** Upcoming: Re-Imagined Magic 12/04/13*** Disney Dream 04/12, Disney Dream 11/12, Disney Fantasy 04/12, Disney Dream 09/11, Disney Magic 02/09, Disney Magic 02/04, Disney Wonder 09/03, Disney Magic 06/03, Disney Magic 08/02, Big Red Boat (prior to DCL's existance) 05/97...and too many trips to WDW to count!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #29
KappaSigHero
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald5

As for those saying things weren't that bad on the Triumph... I suppose if you think it's any better to have halways lined with bags of feces (some of which ripped open) than to have a backed up toilet, then sure. It wasn't that bad.
I don't think anyone is saying conditions weren't bad- they just weren't as bad as media reports.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKay View Post
Before we all start slating Carnival again, it does happen to cruise ships even Disney, although not yet. The staff of the Disney Magic have a little ryhme which I cant remember how it goes although, they say that the Magic is held together by "faith, trust and picxy dust and a huge pot of glue"

It can happen to any ship, just so happens to be Carnival decade for it after the Concordia, Triumph and Dream.
And the Splendor.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: