Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Stinkerbe11
DIS Veteran

How far would you go to avoid disappointing your children?

I just saw this on a blog...The dad wore a My Little Pony shirt around town (experiencing some smiles, double-takes and questions) because it was a gift fom his daughters and he didn't want to disappoint them. I just wonder what others have done to avoid disappointing their kids?

Wonder Mexican Riviera(2011), Magic Eastern(2012), Wonder Pacific Coast(2014), Wonder Alaska(2014), Wonder Vancouver Repo(2014)
Stinkerbe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkerbe11 View Post
I just saw this on a blog...The dad wore a My Little Pony shirt around town (experiencing some smiles, double-takes and questions) because it was a gift fom his daughters and he didn't want to disappoint them. I just wonder what others have done to avoid disappointing their kids?
Something like this is not a big deal to me. It probably showed them that he appreciated the gift.

But I think kids do need to learn that sometimes life IS disappointing.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

I would do anything I could within reason to not disappoint my kids.
So dad is a Brony! cute!
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Acklander
DIS Veteran

Well, I wouldn't go out of my way to try to disappoint my kids ( or anyone else for that matter) but I do allow disappointments to naturally happen, and sympathize with them when it does.
As far as a my little pony shirt - id probably wear it, not to keep my child from avoiding disappointment, but to show appreciation for the gift.
I do the same when my MIL gifts me a shirt, or my Aunt made me an outfit, or my Grandma knitted me mittens with the dummy cord attached - I was 14 when she gave me the mittens and every time she saw me that winter I was wearing the mittens (fortunately that was only 2 times).
Old 03-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by npmommie View Post
I would do anything I could within reason to not disappoint my kids.
So dad is a Brony! cute!

My dh would NOT do it. So I guess the answer is not very far. My 16yodd has her "Pony Shrine" in her bedroom.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
happygirl
DIS Veteran

My hubby would never wear that shirt, So I guess he would disappoint them in that aspect
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
My hubby would never wear that shirt, So I guess he would disappoint them in that aspect
Why not? They are cute and I have seen them on a number of fathers.
Is your husband insecure in his masculinity? Or afraid of horses? Or breaks out in hives if he wears the color pink? ;
chicagodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodisneyfan View Post
Why not? They are cute and I have seen them on a number of fathers.
Is your husband insecure in his masculinity? Or afraid of horses? Or breaks out in hives if he wears the color pink? ;
Just not his thing. Why would you quote me when there were other posters that said there husband wouldn't do it either
Old 03-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
mimmi
DIS Veteran

I would go far, my parents didn't care much for me, so I'm usually overcompensating.

I think my husband would wear that shirt. He once got huge pink glitter bracelet from our daughter, put it on on a Sunday, forgot about (though I'm not sure how, it was really big) and went to a business meeting on Monday where he got quite a few funny looks. He just said:"Well, I have a little daughter who loves to give me presents."
Now my daughter sometimes goes to the office with him and is very proud that so many colleagues remember her bracelet.

I'm the type who spends days running from one store to the next and researching the internet for sold out stuff on her wish list.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Aww. The pony shirt is so cute. DD1 has just gotten into My Little Pony and DH would absolutely wear one if he got it for her. He's not self conscious at all & is completely secure in himself so he could give a flip what other people, especially complete strangers, think of him... especially if it's something that makes one of his little girls smile.

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: 2/15 POR

NYEmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
Just not his thing. Why would you quote me when there were other posters that said there husband wouldn't do it either
Just trying to understand why a father, when asked by his daughter to do something - would say no. Whether or not it is his "thing".

As parents don't you do a number of things that you would rather not do - simply to make your kids happy?

It just makes me sad for your daughter.
chicagodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just trying to understand why a father, when asked by his daughter to do something - would say no. Whether or not it is his "thing".

As parents don't you do a number of things that you would rather not do - simply to make your kids happy?

I agree! Personally, I see wearing a My Little Pony shirt that my daughter gave me as an exceptionally low bar of tolerance/good fathering and don't get why somebody would refuse on principle to wear something given in love by their child.

I've worn some garish ties that my children picked out to work and even to important meetings, have worn in public a T-shirt emblazoned with Simpsons' characters (I don't like T-shirts in general), have carried a doll and/or a teddy bear around when my daughter's or son's hands are full, and have worn many other things because they were given in love. If a guy is worried about how they'd be perceived for wearing a My Little Ponies shirt, he has larger issues with which to deal, in my opinion!

The extent to which I go to avoid disappointing my children is that I go swimming with them at the club and when we're traveling. I hate swimming with a passion unequaled by any other normal activity, but I know they adore it and so being in the water with them makes me happy.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I think you are taking it a little far to say you feel sad for her DD. My DH would not wear it either. He's a great father and loves his kids. He just wouldn't wear that shirt in public. We have recently learned about "bronies" and my Dh would not want to be labled as one

mombrontrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

My husband would totally wear that shirt. He got me a Rarity hoody for Valentines day!

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
happygirl
DIS Veteran

LOL it doesn't matter what I say on the disboards. I'm a horrible person LOL. I'm horrible now because my hubby won't wear a shirt that doesn't even exist

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: