Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which resort do you prefer and why?
Royal Pacific 19 39.58%
Hard Rock 15 31.25%
Portofino Bay 12 25.00%
None, Just Stay at WDW and Drive Back & Forth 2 4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #16
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #17
schumigirl
I`ve bought one of those for this year....it`s in fuscia pink though......You`ll be able to see me from the air
It`s a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post

SEPT 2007 2 WEEKS BUENA VISTA PALACE & HHN
SEPT 2008 2 WEEKS POFQ &HHN
AUG 2009 2 WEEKS RPR
OCT 2010 2 WEEKS RPR & HHN
AUG 2011 2 WEEKS RPR
JULY 2012 17 NIGHTS RPR
APRIL 2013 WEEK IN NEW YORK
SEPT 2013...17 NIGHTS RPR &HHN
MAY 2014.....2 WEEKS IN NEW YORK
SEPTEMBER 2014....18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
schumigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

I have only stayed at HR but loved it! It's easy to walk to the parks, great vibe, great pool. We ate at the bar area by the pool while the kids swam and watched Harry Potter in the pool. While I wasn't crazy about Universal (WWOHP was amazing!) and Disney has my heart, I did enjoy the Hard Rock.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
RPR is the only one that I've really toured although I did see the men's restroom at the HRH once...long story.
All right now, you've got to tell us that story!

So Hard Rock is closer. How much closer exactly? How long is the walk from each one.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
glocon
DIS Veteran

HRH was less than 10 easy walk to the parks. The PBH probably 5-10 min longer on the path along the water. I think the RPR between 10-15 total walk. And that is at an easy pace, not speedwalking. You can always take the boats too.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
payankeerose
Earning My Ears

We just don't use any of the hotel amnities, just use the room to sleep and shower in. The only reason we stay on site is for the front line passes and early entry. So the cheapest rate is the way to go for us. We usually only stay 1 night, go to parks 2 days and move to our condo for the remaining vacation time. All the resorts are really cool and if your staying for more than just the parks, then please disregard my opinion. I envy folks that truly enjoy all the stuff their resorts offer, we just don't have the time.
payankeerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #22
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

I can be such a procrastinator sometimes. When I finally went online yesterday to check, Portofino no longer had standard rooms for the AP discount. I was feeling torn on either Portofino or RPR, so that pretty much made my mind up. We are now booked for two nights at RPR (May 12th-14th) with a request to be close to the walking path. We still have the full ten nights booked over at Bonnet Creek too, so will just be packing a Vera Bradley weekender bag for the two of us to take over to Universal and will be leaving the rest of our stuff over at Bonnet Creek. Can't wait!

One thing the booking agent did say that concerned me: I told her we need a medical fridge, just big enough to hold a couple vials of insulin and two pens, since both me and my mom are diabetics and she said she would put a request in, but they could not guarantee that there'd be a free one available and we might have to pay the $15.00/night to rent one. I thought fridges were free, if they were for medical reasons.

Last edited by aubriee; 04-03-2013 at 01:11 PM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #23
Bluer101
Waiting till vacation comes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
I can be such a procrastinator sometimes. When I finally went online yesterday to check, Portofino no longer had standard rooms for the AP discount. I was feeling torn on either Portofino or RPR, so that pretty much made my mind up. We are now booked for two nights at RPR (May 12th-14th) with a request to be close to the walking path. We still have the full ten nights booked over at Bonnet Creek too, so will just be taking a Vera Bradley weekender bag over to Universal and will be leaving the rest of our stuff over at bonnet Creek. Can't wait!

One thing the booking agent did say that concerned me: I told her we need a medical fridge, just big enough to hold a couple vials of insulin and two pens, since both me and my mom are diabetics and she said she would put a request in, but they could not guarantee that there'd be a free one available and we might have to pay the $15.00/night to rent one. I thought fridges were free, if they were for medical reasons.
Don't worry about the fridge. Just call ahead directly to RPR a few days before you arrive. They will get you a fridge free if charge, don't worry. You will love RPR, you made a great choice. The rooms are smaller of the three but if that does not matter than don't worry, does not bother us. Pretty much all rooms are close to everything at RPR. Tower 2 would be the only tower that would be a little farther but not much. RPR is closer together and everything is convenient unlike PBH. For us PBH is so spread out and not for us. You will enjoy it, have fun.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #24
tylerb123
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
I'll be at WDW with my mom mid May for ten nights/eleven days and was thinking about spending a couple of nights over at Universal. I've stayed at Royal Pacific twice, but have never been inside the Hard Rock or Portofino Bay resorts. I know RPR is within easy walking distance and my mom will be in an ECV, which means at RPR we could walk and avoid the boat. How far are the other two resorts from the parks? Using an AP discount, Portofino Bay and Hard Rock are the exact same price and Royal Pacific is only $56.00 cheaper for the two nights, so the price is about the same. Why do you like one over the other and which would you choose for two females?

I'm still unsure if we are even going to stay over there though. I'd be looking at going to Universal Sunday-Tuesday. I already have a one bedroom condo booked at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and can not change my dates, so would be paying for those two nights at Bonnet Creek in addition to the room at Universal. However, I like the idea of not having to drive over to Universal three days, having front of the line pass for three days, and having a place for my mom to go back and rest mid day.
I want to go to that place but there is no resorts there I have even heard of so I can't tell you which one is better
tylerb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #25
gopherit
I'm not in the book, you know.

I'm a certified "geekus optima", if you know what I mean!

Royal pacific. We have stayed in all 3 and find Portifino the most elegant (but the farthest away.) Hard Rock was very convenient to US (but you had to cut through parking lots to get there... and the sweaty Jimi Hendrix or drugged out Morrison pics in room creeped out my kids. And all-white interior? Did not feel as family friendly...) Royal Pacific was like Goldilocks finally finding Baby bear's stuff - juuuust right. Liked the theme, close to parks, elegant but not so much so that you felt out of place, and the price is usually nicer too.
gopherit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #26
tajz90
Mama D

HRH shares a walkway with Portofino. You get to the path thru the pool area.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #27
maiyoli
Mouseketeer

Our favorite is the hard rock. We had one problem the first time we stayed their we were on the second floor and we can hear dogs barking and people walking their dogs very late at night. We complained in the am and they were so good, they changed our room and they gave us a discount. I have stayed at the other hotels but this one is my favorite. I know it sounds really dumb but I love their bathroom in the lobby beautiful.
maiyoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #28
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherit View Post
Royal pacific. We have stayed in all 3 and find Portifino the most elegant (but the farthest away.) Hard Rock was very convenient to US (but you had to cut through parking lots to get there...
Well you don't *have to* go through the parking lot; that's a shortcut. We just went through the pool area and out to the path.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #29
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Smile

They are are all nice and have very similar amenities. However, I prefer the Hard Rock for it's location and pool bar. You can't get much closer to the parks and we stayed with teens. The big advantage was, we could hang at the pool while two teenagers rode rollercoasters all afternoon on the multi-day, two park tickets and a good time was had by all. The kids were never more than a five or ten minute walk away.
agavegirl1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #30
SwirlyGirly
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at all 3 and I'd say I like both RPR and HRH. I didn't care so much for Portofino. Most specifically because the lounge is on the first floor.
SwirlyGirly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: