Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

Warm(ish) weather/low crowds:does that week exist?

Not that DS is grown up and I can go to WDW whenever I want, this is when I would like to go:

Weather warm enough for swimming and shorts/capris, but not ungodly hot (aka no cooler than 60s at night, no higher than 80s during the day).

Lowest crowds possible taking into account the above

I know that leaves out winter, holidays and summer, but when would be nicest fall/spring?

TIA!

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Late September through early October
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
NorthernBuckeye
Mouseketeer

If your from Houghton or Marquette, would not 60 degrees be considered warm and swimming weather?
NorthernBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernBuckeye View Post
If your from Houghton or Marquette, would not 60 degrees be considered warm and swimming weather?
I once went swimming in Lake Superior while at Isle Royale. It was summer and in the 70s outside, but the water was about 40. It wasn't pleasant.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

You're so funny, I'm actually from the southern part of the UP (north of Green Bay), not the "real" UP like what you've mentioned. Due to chronic health concerns, I can't swim if it's too chilly out, and my body for sure doesn't like cold/damp (like the one time we went to WDW in Jan, brrrrr).

So now I'm thinking fall, but just wondering when it will still be warm but not (as) crowded....

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopermom View Post
So now I'm thinking fall, but just wondering when it will still be warm but not (as) crowded....
Take a look at the crowd calendars on easywdw.com. They lists the crowd level predictions for each day (on a scale from 1-10) and the average high and low temperatures.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
JustAKid
DIS Veteran

How about late April/Early Mayish? How are the temperatures then? easyWDW lists crowds in the 4-5 range most days and it's considered "regular" season by Disney...
Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

Don't forget to look at what special events are going on at the parks -- Star Wars weekend is very busy.

I personally like the Flower & Garden festival in the spring.
CarolineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAKid View Post
How about late April/Early Mayish? How are the temperatures then? easyWDW lists crowds in the 4-5 range most days and it's considered "regular" season by Disney...
Average temperatures are listed on the easywdw calendars.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
JustAKid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
Average temperatures are listed on the easywdw calendars.
*grumble, grumble as I head back to the website* This WDW thing makes me feel like an idiot. *sigh*
Old 03-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

We have experienced those conditions by going the last week of October the last 2 years. If you go at all during September you are going to have temps way higher than 80. Even the first 2 weeks of October can be pretty warm. But the last 2 years we have gotten there on the exact same day, October 27th and stayed through November 6th. We never had to use jeans or jackets. I wore Capris every day and DH wore shorts every day. On one trip we got a little rain on 2 different days but on the second October trip we didn't get any rain at all. The crowds were so low we had less than 10 minute waits for every ride including the mountains at MK and the headliners at HS. Some rides were walk on.

This year we are having to adjust our dates by 2 weeks and go on November 10th through the 18th because of DH's work schedule and I expect it may be a bit chillier in the am during mid November but that's ok. I would rather wear jeans and a hoody and take the hoody off midday and wrap it around my waist then go when it is steaming hot and sweat like a pig all day.

I have also been in January. It was slightly chilly in the morning but warmed up to mid 70's midday and very low crowds if you avoid holiday weekends.

We have also been in April (16th-21st) and the crowds were higher than what we were use to but not crowded by any stretch of the mind and the weather was beautiful. Warm but not too warm and no rain the whole week. I think the longest wait we had during April was waiting in the standby line for Soarin and it took 25 minutes. That is the longest we have ever waited for a ride and it only happened that once. If a standby line os more than 15 or 20 minutes we use fastpass, but 99% of the time it is not necessary to even use FP.

My goals when choosing when I am going to go to WDW is 1. good weather and 2. low crowds. Those are our priorities.

On our 2 October trips we have gone to a water park both years. The first year we went to Typhoon Lagoon and last year we went to Discovery Cove. It was warm enough to be in the water both times.

You can also google historical weather data for Orlando, Florida and not just see temp averages but actual past temps for certain months. That is what I would use. Actual past temps, not temp averages. Averages mean nothing in the end. That is just your high and your low added together and divided by 2 on a bigger scale.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
Late September through early October
I went Sept 24th and it was extremly hot. high humidty etc.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I will absolutely second that late September into early October can be oppressively hot still.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #14
NLD
DIS Veteran

End of October. Not the lowest crowds of the year but not horrible crowds, and good weather. Plus MNSSHP and Food & Wine if you like those.

Trip reports

Driving through the Desert: Our Utah and Arizona Trip

Breaking All the Rules! Pirates, Pixie Dust, and Pictures... a January 2012 WDW Trip Report

First family trip: September 2009 POR
Sisters trip: September 2010 AKL
MNSSHP only: October 27, 2011
Birthday trip for daughter: January 2012 WL

The Disboards Photography Forum
NLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

Best crowd/weather combination we have experienced-

Late October into early November. Days in the high 70s/low 80s, nights around 60. Crowds moderate, but very manageable.

And added plusses at this time- last week or so of MNSSHPs and/or first couple of MVMCPs, Epcot's Food & Wine Festival!

A close runner-up- late April (as long as it isn't too close to Easter) through mid-May. Weather is a little warmer (mid 80's), but WDW is soooo nice in late Spring! And there is the Epcot Flower & Garden Festival and Star Wars weekends to attend.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: