Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #91
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55

I just dont see them moving FOTLK just to move. They ve always said construction 2013 and they always mention it when given the chance.

Rasulo also mentioned it to stock holders a couple months ago a out it and i dont think he would say that unless its happening

Just my stinky opinion
Certainly legitimate...by all accounts they are gonna build. I just think that lying for financial purposes is "predictably unpredictable".

As far as lion king goes...that could just be a way of erasing a mistake.

It never made sense there...it was a Hail Mary to save face that just happened to work.
Like Chester and Hester and Everest...

...which of course didnt work.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #92
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

I have decided Avatarland may benefit me... I didn't care for the movie, to me it was a grown-up version of Ferngully, but I figure, while everyone else goes there, that gives me access to shorter lines to ride Dinosaur & KS I don't think Avatartland Belongs in AK, I think something DISNEY based like, Pocahontas, Jungle Book, etc would have been better, but I'm not going to get into that. I just know I won't be heading over there, I want to enjoy the animals and other stuff. I am kind of secretly hoping this will fall through but it not, oh well. I agree AK needs something shiny and new, but not sure if this is it.
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #93
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Certainly legitimate...by all accounts they are gonna build. I just think that lying for financial purposes is "predictably unpredictable".

As far as lion king goes...that could just be a way of erasing a mistake.

It never made sense there...it was a Hail Mary to save face that just happened to work.
Like Chester and Hester and Everest...

...which of course didnt work.
Everest didn't work?

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #94
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailrabbit View Post
I have decided Avatarland may benefit me... I didn't care for the movie, to me it was a grown-up version of Ferngully, but I figure, while everyone else goes there, that gives me access to shorter lines to ride Dinosaur & KS I don't think Avatartland Belongs in AK, I think something DISNEY based like, Pocahontas, Jungle Book, etc would have been better, but I'm not going to get into that. I just know I won't be heading over there, I want to enjoy the animals and other stuff. I am kind of secretly hoping this will fall through but it not, oh well. I agree AK needs something shiny and new, but not sure if this is it.
your saying you wont go into pandora/avatarland? wont even give it a try?
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #95
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
your saying you wont go into pandora/avatarland? wont even give it a try?
Yes, I actually am. I know that sounds really lame and stubborn, but I really couldn't stand the movie. I really don't want to waste my Disney time in a land dedicated to it. I really hope everyone else likes it though, you won't have to worry about me taking up places in line! (Also, I am NOT knocking anyone who is excited about this, I promise!)
Old 04-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #96
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yes, I actually am. I know that sounds really lame and stubborn, but I really couldn't stand the movie. I really don't want to waste my Disney time in a land dedicated to it. I really hope everyone else likes it though, you won't have to worry about me taking up places in line! (Also, I am NOT knocking anyone who is excited about this, I promise!)
Cool good response
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 04-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #97
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride

Everest didn't work?
Nope...not from where I sit.

Did not generate additional attendance ( not to any significance)...it actually doesn't work because a significant portion of the ride failed from an engineering perspective...it took a long time to build, and cost a fortune. Those resources could have been diverted for better use.

I think that animal kingdom has been mismanaged from the start...including Everest.

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 04-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #98
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nope...not from where I sit.

Did not generate additional attendance ( not to any significance)...it actually doesn't work because a significant portion of the ride failed from an engineering perspective...it took a long time to build, and cost a fortune. Those resources could have been diverted for better use.

I think that animal kingdom has been mismanaged from the start...including Everest.
pretty sure it generated an extra 1 million people

i got that from WDW fan boys
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 04-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #99
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55

pretty sure it generated an extra 1 million people

i got that from WDW fan boys
In the first year? 2005?

I wouldn't doubt that. Remember it was laid out as the biggest thrill ride they had constructed in WDW...a cross of space mountain and splash mountain on steroids...Disney taking legitimate coaster elements and crossing it with animatronics...

But chart how attendance has gone since. It's been up but relatively flat when compared to the growth of the other parks in Orlando.

Just blah...

So really...i look at Everest as a slightly meatier big thunder. With a really overpriced/elaborate queue.

He'll, if the yeti doesn't work it doesn't even fit the park...the Matterhorn is more related to animals at this point.

Maybe if they put a goat in there or something...

Rocknroller coaster probably legitimately cost 1/3 as much and it is far superior as far as achieving its goals. A launch/loop system built by vekoma with a sound system that is laid out well together.
Everest is just an ok ride...that's all. It doesn't meet the thrill standard nor the Disney standard.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #100
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Maybe if they put a goat in there or something...
That just cracked me up. Thanks for the chuckle.

I think Everest is cool, even though I'll never ride it again b/c I can't do backwards, and the Yeti wasn't working when I was there - just the shadow and I think some red eyes or something. It was a couple of years ago. But just as a counterpoint, I don't think it's fair to judge attendance pull on a roller coaster years after it's been built b/c there's not a roller coaster in the world that can do that. Much like computers, they become out of date or "old hat" not long after they're built. There's always something bigger and better coming out. It's still "THE ride" at AK. And it's one of the few roller coasters out there that actually immerses you in something other that just a themed car and the track. Kudos to Disney for that - they're all about the details and the story. Well, other than that whole yeti not working thing.
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #101
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I know where you are coming from too. As I stated in another thread, I am up and down about this. If it is a STRONG focus on "Pandora", conservation, the animal life, etc, and not "here is a land from a movie". I would rather them do something on their own, maybe based on a movie that Disney already has, but that's out of my hands. If this is an effort to get mythical creatures/animals into AK than I understand, but that's what it needs to be about, not for example, movie props everywhere.....
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013 *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS - 2013 *TOKYO DL* Offsite - 2014
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #102
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzlekins

That just cracked me up. Thanks for the chuckle.

I think Everest is cool, even though I'll never ride it again b/c I can't do backwards, and the Yeti wasn't working when I was there - just the shadow and I think some red eyes or something. It was a couple of years ago. But just as a counterpoint, I don't think it's fair to judge attendance pull on a roller coaster years after it's been built b/c there's not a roller coaster in the world that can do that. Much like computers, they become out of date or "old hat" not long after they're built. There's always something bigger and better coming out. It's still "THE ride" at AK. And it's one of the few roller coasters out there that actually immerses you in something other that just a themed car and the track. Kudos to Disney for that - they're all about the details and the story. Well, other than that whole yeti not working thing.
I agree with you on the staying power of rides...but Everest represents a Disney failure beyond just itself.

Management was very disturbed when animal kingdoms attendance and revenues slid after the first year/ year and a half (it opened in april98...so that was a partial..then they even got a bump from the hugely successful millennium after that)...buy late 2001/ 2002 they had a problem and hurried threw up Chester and Hester - which is supremely out of character for them. Feedback was there just wasn't much to do.

So flash forward to 2003 when Everest was announced...
Old Michael E at the press conference...desperately trying to hang on to his empire at that point...made some comments about how they were going to concentrate on animal kingdom...because that's what Disney DOES (it's no secret he was found of it and ramrodded it through in the first place)

I can't remember the exact quote...but it was very close to "we're spending 200 million on this thing...what do you want already?"

So they took out a blah Tarzan show and made it into a puppet fish show that has a modest 3 hour run time...and built Everest.

How aggressive...except that was 8 going on 9 years ago and the park is still sparse by any standards...let alone Disney parks. Dutch wonderland is impressive by this measuring stick.

And so we are talking about an expansion (albeit ambitious and expensive)...it will not roll for likey 11-12 years after the last addition.

Nuttin...no animals...no rides...no shows....not even meet and greets.

So while I'm displaying vitriol for Everest here...it's a MUCH bigger thing than that.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #103
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I agree with you on the staying power of rides...but Everest represents a Disney failure beyond just itself.

Management was very disturbed when animal kingdoms attendance and revenues slid after the first year/ year and a half (it opened in april98...so that was a partial..then they even got a bump from the hugely successful millennium after that)...buy late 2001/ 2002 they had a problem and hurried threw up Chester and Hester - which is supremely out of character for them. Feedback was there just wasn't much to do.

So flash forward to 2003 when Everest was announced...
Old Michael E at the press conference...desperately trying to hang on to his empire at that point...made some comments about how they were going to concentrate on animal kingdom...because that's what Disney DOES (it's no secret he was found of it and ramrodded it through in the first place)

I can't remember the exact quote...but it was very close to "we're spending 200 million on this thing...what do you want already?"

So they took out a blah Tarzan show and made it into a puppet fish show that has a modest 3 hour run time...and built Everest.

How aggressive...except that was 8 going on 9 years ago and the park is still sparse by any standards...let alone Disney parks. Dutch wonderland is impressive by this measuring stick.

And so we are talking about an expansion (albeit ambitious and expensive)...it will not roll for likey 11-12 years after the last addition.

Nuttin...no animals...no rides...no shows....not even meet and greets.

So while I'm displaying vitriol for Everest here...it's a MUCH bigger thing than that.
Interesting. I'm much more of a Disney parks novice - haven't really tracked much that they've done over the years or researched anything but my vacations, so my perspective is different than probably a lot here (the die hards). Our first trip was in November 2010 with our DD3 1/2 at the time, and we've been back twice since. We've visited all parks on each trip b/c we go for 8-9 days and spend every single day somewhere from open to close. I enjoy AK but I do think it's probably the weakest of the parks. Not because it's not a great park for what it is but because we have two zoos nearby and let's face it, a big part of AK is essentially a zoo. I love the Lion King show and Dinosaur - those are the main attractions for me. Unfortunately, two attractions aren't enough to make us devote a day there on our next trip (we don't do park hoppers). My husband's comment on our last trip was, "Do you really want to do AK again? We can go to the zoo at home." I couldn't bring myself to skip it altogether on this last trip, but I've decided to indeed forego it on the next. The only things keeping HS on our itinerary are the Jedi training academy, SciFi (b/c we haven't eaten there yet), and TSM. For us, it's all about MK and Epcot. So I do appreciate your sentiment that AK needs help, and I do agree. I read a thread awhile back talking about how they really need a panda to invigorate ticket sales. A fantastic new dessert would get me there sooner than a panda would. No way I'm planning an entire day around one animal unless it's a real fire breathing dragon.
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #104
darrius1st
Mouseketeer

Look, Disney has to do something with AK because it is the worst park and I hate SeaWorld but I would go there before AK. Truth be told the better get with the program and add other coaster or rides. In my area our region Parks such as Six Flags America and Kings Dominion add a new ride or coaster almost every other year so Disney needs to step up to the plate and knock one out of the park so to speak.
2006-Comfort Suites Universal-2008- Magical Memories-2009-Harbour Lake-2010-Bonnet Creek-Summer 2011-Bonnet Creek and Westgate Lakes-June 2012-Sheraton Vistana Villages-July 2013-The Fountains and Bonnet Creek
darrius1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #105
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzlekins View Post
and the Yeti wasn't working when I was there - just the shadow and I think some red eyes or something.
It's been like that the last two times I was there. I think I heard somewhere that the only guy who knew how to work it died....but that was probably just a rumor.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: