Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #76
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~I agree with the highlighted & this is a great post overall! Is Avatar the "answer" for HP? I would say no. But, Animal Kingdom needs something more! I agree that initially Disney hyped this up to be a big deal.

~Unrelated to the above quote -- who's currently talking about Harry Potter??? Avatar has two more films in the works, good or not remains to be seen, but the buzz and hype surrounding the film(s) will be everywhere! The Mummy coaster at Universal has been winning awards for best coaster for over a decade now & the mummy movies were hardly epic. The land will speak for itself, the budget determines the hype, that's what got me excited! If Disney were to shrink the budget, then my feelings would change instantly. I think it's amateur to predict the success of a theme park attraction based on whether or not a movie has a "strong fan base." We've seen this with Carsland, and every other theme park attraction, this just isn't the case. Great attractions can even inspire films, as we've seen with Pirates of the Caribbean! Disney just unveiled a brand new Fantasyland & Carsland, but everyone is still talking about Avatarland.
You re on fire today. The answer to what is the potter swatter is...... Nothing..... Let avatar stand on its own and compare it to cars land
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #77
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
You re on fire today. The answer to what is the potter swatter is...... Nothing..... Let avatar stand on its own and compare it to cars land
~Awww, thanks so much, twebber55! This means a lot coming from you! I just love your posts -- you knock 'em down, one by one in the most kind and genteel way, lol.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #78
supercruiser420
Addicted to the parks!!!!

I don't see Avatarland coming for a while.

I think Disney got excited by the fact that a third party was willing to throw in tons of money and ideas and give imagineering full control of it. Kind of like what happens in the Asian Parks. However, I think James Cameron's creative process which includes doing nothing for years can be a little daunting to WDI. Even though it doesn't appear like it, Disney sets a very tight schedule and usully abides by it. So waiting for JC and fox may become very frustrating. One of the first things they had to think of was the relocation of festival and the meet and greet locations. The new location for festival behind the dawa bar and the new pathway heading back down to the camp minnie mickey area is perfect and fits disneys needs for guest flow whether or not they build Avatar. They have gotten lots of feedback over the years about how inconvient festivals location is. So putting it in the middle of everything and freeing up that back corner of the park for anything in the future makes sense.

If I had to guess, If Avatar is going to happen, we are going to see the full expansion of DHS and some new additons at EPCOT before anything moves foward. Dont expect Avatar this Decade.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 AM   #79
StarWarsJez
Mouseketeer

I think comparisons with "The Mummy" ride are misplaced, since that was just a single ride - whereas Avatar will be a complete land. BIG difference.

Universal went for the Mummy since it had at the time 2 successful movies and another on the way. Since its always been a core Universal asset I suppose they felt it had "legs". Interesting that a reboot is planned suggesting that the building of a single ride was justified. A bit of cheap "re-theming" can go a long way - like the subtle improvements to the PotC rides.

I think a single ride for Avatar would also be great. I'm sure as an entire land it will be nice - but my experience suggests to me that it wont generate the same level of interest as Disneys own franchises (which they own and can leverage how they please).

IMO when it opens everyone will be like "Wow". However a couple of years down the road it will be like "Meh". It just doesnt have the legs that Star Wars, Marvel, Toy Story, or several other Disney franchises have. Just look at the merchandising!
StarWarsJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #80
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsJez View Post
I think comparisons with "The Mummy" ride are misplaced, since that was just a single ride - whereas Avatar will be a complete land. BIG difference.

Universal went for the Mummy since it had at the time 2 successful movies and another on the way. Since its always been a core Universal asset I suppose they felt it had "legs". Interesting that a reboot is planned suggesting that the building of a single ride was justified. A bit of cheap "re-theming" can go a long way - like the subtle improvements to the PotC rides.

I think a single ride for Avatar would also be great. I'm sure as an entire land it will be nice - but my experience suggests to me that it wont generate the same level of interest as Disneys own franchises (which they own and can leverage how they please).

IMO when it opens everyone will be like "Wow". However a couple of years down the road it will be like "Meh". It just doesnt have the legs that Star Wars, Marvel, Toy Story, or several other Disney franchises have. Just look at the merchandising!

one of the rumors is that it may just be one e ticket and a shop...once again thats a rumor so who knows
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #81
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercruiser420 View Post
I think Disney got excited by the fact that a third party was willing to throw in tons of money and ideas and give imagineering full control of it. Kind of like what happens in the Asian Parks. However, I think James Cameron's creative process which includes doing nothing for years can be a little daunting to WDI. Even though it doesn't appear like it, Disney sets a very tight schedule and usully abides by it. So waiting for JC and fox may become very frustrating. One of the first things they had to think of was the relocation of festival and the meet and greet locations. The new location for festival behind the dawa bar and the new pathway heading back down to the camp minnie mickey area is perfect and fits disneys needs for guest flow whether or not they build Avatar. They have gotten lots of feedback over the years about how inconvient festivals location is. So putting it in the middle of everything and freeing up that back corner of the park for anything in the future makes sense.

If I had to guess, If Avatar is going to happen, we are going to see the full expansion of DHS and some new additons at EPCOT before anything moves foward. Dont expect Avatar this Decade.
~Disney confirmed Avatarland about a few months ago, so I'll have to disagree.

~Unrelated to the above quote, it really doesn't matter whether it's a land or an attraction -- it's the quality that counts -- one fabulous attraction is much better than three mediocre attractions, regardless of the IP. Actually, a land is even better than an attraction because it creates a more immersive environment! Gosh, the more I think about it, the more excited I get! I just wish Disney would give us more details!!!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 AM   #82
StarWarsJez
Mouseketeer

That's a moot point since Disney has already confirmed its Avatar LAND. So it's looking like 2 possibly 3 rides within that land with all the necessary theming etc.

Disney has said its the next 'big' park investment after the Fantasyland upgrade, however when you look at the plans they have it could end up costing more than that.

However the concern many have is that (when compared with other options) is a risky option given the unproven nature of the Avatar brand (one movie isn't a franchise) - and the licensing costs (which wouldn't have been there if Disney had gone for an asset they owned themselves). However the deal was instigated many years ago and they probably felt they'd gone too far to turn back.

I'm sure it'll be great when it opens in 2017, however many question it's ability to drive attendance in the longer-term, since so much will depend on the ongoing success of the currently unproven Avatar brand.
StarWarsJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #83
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Disney confirmed Avatarland about a few months ago, so I'll have to disagree.
Disney confirmed Hyperion Wharf, showed concept art, and even started some preliminary construction work, yet it ended up not happening. Just because Disney says something is going to happen, it doesn't mean it actually will.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #84
rteetz
DIS Veteran

I strongly believe Avatarland is a go and they are working very hard on it as already stated by Tom Staggs. Avatarland is a stretch and they will need to work very closely with James Cameron as two of three movies aren't even out yet and keep getting pushed back. That I think is what makes disney frustrated because they want to get moving on this but they are not moving on the trilogy at all. So with that being said i believe if James Cameron continues to push this back and makes it harder for disney to work with him Avatarland will be a goner. But for now and it seems to be going okay Avatarland is a go and that is that.

I believe if Avatarland doesn't end up working out as planned they will first do something in DHS before going back to AK but in the next 10 years we will definitely see something new and very exciting in both of these parks.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #85
ChrisnKim913
DIS Veteran

Comparing AvatarLand and Hyperion Wharf is off based. AvatarLand is being collaborated with a major player in James Cameron. Avatar is his creation. They have a model/plans already drawn up which they showed with a picture with Cameron/Rhode/Staggs looking at it. This wouldnt have been released if it didnt have a green light. The FotLK is already being moved. They learned their lesson with Hyperion Wharf. This is happening
ChrisnKim913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #86
umichigan10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
Disney confirmed Hyperion Wharf, showed concept art, and even started some preliminary construction work, yet it ended up not happening. Just because Disney says something is going to happen, it doesn't mean it actually will.
and let's not forget all those countries Epcot was supposed to get over the years
2008 Saratoga Springs
2011 Bay Lake Tower
2012 April-All Star Music w/ band
2012 July- Bay Lake Tower

"Somethings wrong, shut the light, heavy thoughts tonight, and they aren't of Snow White"-an example of Metallica and Disney going hand in hand
umichigan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #87
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by umichigan10

and let's not forget all those countries Epcot was supposed to get over the years
I gotta agree here...

Not that I don't think that they aren't planning, working on the concept...but they do that with hundreds of ideas that the suits know damn well will never see the light of day.

It's a way of keeping the kids occupied while dad watches the game...so to speak.

I wouldn't doubt for a second that Disney could reverse and pull the plug on the turn of a dime.

Which brings me back to my original point: TRUST ONLY THE SHOVELS!
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 03-31-2013 at 08:20 PM.
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #88
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

I gotta agree here...

Not that I don't think that they aren't planning, working on the concept...but they do that with hundreds of ideas that the suits know damn well will never see the light of day.

It's a way of keeping the kids occupied while dad watches the game...so to speak.

I wouldn't doubt for a second that Disney could reverse and pull the plug on the turn of a dime.

Which brings me back to my original point: TRUST ONLY THR SHOVELS!
I just dont see them moving FOTLK just to move. They ve always said construction 2013 and they always mention it when given the chance.

Rasulo also mentioned it to stock holders a couple months ago a out it and i dont think he would say that unless its happening

Just my stinky opinion
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #89
umichigan10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I gotta agree here...

Which brings me back to my original point: TRUST ONLY THR SHOVELS!
But even the shovels lie! Look at the Asian Resort!
2008 Saratoga Springs
2011 Bay Lake Tower
2012 April-All Star Music w/ band
2012 July- Bay Lake Tower

"Somethings wrong, shut the light, heavy thoughts tonight, and they aren't of Snow White"-an example of Metallica and Disney going hand in hand
umichigan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #90
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by umichigan10

But even the shovels lie! Look at the Asian Resort!
"Preliminary site work"...

For water table integrity
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: