Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #196
ftballfan7
DIS Veteran

I am a huge Star Wars fan and really hope the offerings at DHS will expand into a land. I liked Avatar, but wouldn't say that I am a big fan. I do think that the Avatar theme will be a great fit for a land at AK. There is plenty to work with there and the emphasis on conservation and the environment fits perfectly.

For those who are speculating/hoping that Avatarland isn't going to happen, I have bad news for you. Avatarland was discussed by Disney executives on a show on the Destination Channel last night. This is a new show that included reasonably current footage of the new Fantasyland expansion at MK. Avatarland doesn't appear to be going away.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #197
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

I am not a star wars fan nor an avatar fan. I am a fan of added attractions in the parks. I think the avatar expansion will be great, and I hope there will be a star wars expansion even though I couldn't care less about the movies. And a cars land, and any other that the powers that be deem profitable.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #198
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
I am not a star wars fan nor an avatar fan. I am a fan of added attractions in the parks. I think the avatar expansion will be great, and I hope there will be a star wars expansion even though I couldn't care less about the movies. And a cars land, and any other that the powers that be deem profitable.
Pretty much how i am beer dave. The attraction is a lot more important than the ip
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #199
johnGorski
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftballfan7
I am a huge Star Wars fan and really hope the offerings at DHS will expand into a land. I liked Avatar, but wouldn't say that I am a big fan. I do think that the Avatar theme will be a great fit for a land at AK. There is plenty to work with there and the emphasis on conservation and the environment fits perfectly.

For those who are speculating/hoping that Avatarland isn't going to happen, I have bad news for you. Avatarland was discussed by Disney executives on a show on the Destination Channel last night. This is a new show that included reasonably current footage of the new Fantasyland expansion at MK. Avatarland doesn't appear to be going away.
I am just wondering when we will see concept art for avatarland, I am sure this project will be amazing
johnGorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #200
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnGorski View Post
I am just wondering when we will see concept art for avatarland, I am sure this project will be amazing
Me too-- and I hope after all this defending they don't disappoint.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #201
ToddS
Mouseketeer

Licensing Avatar -- and putting up with the notoriously difficult James Cameron -- makes no sense to me now that Disney owns the Star Wars franchise. My hope is that the Avatar project is killed and that those resources go into a major Star Wars expansion. They'll go much further there, and I would have to guess the ROI would be MUCH better as well. I just don't think that Avatar would inspire the passion (or the willingness to part with dollars) among parkgoers that Star Wars would.
ToddS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #202
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS View Post
Licensing Avatar -- and putting up with the notoriously difficult James Cameron -- makes no sense to me now that Disney owns the Star Wars franchise. My hope is that the Avatar project is killed and that those resources go into a major Star Wars expansion. They'll go much further there, and I would have to guess the ROI would be MUCH better as well. I just don't think that Avatar would inspire the passion (or the willingness to part with dollars) among parkgoers that Star Wars would.
get ready for the apologists. You forget you're not allowed to have an opinion about this expansion because "glowing plants will be cool".
dairylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #203
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile ~Yay!

Quote:
Thanks! They need to change the name of this thread to "star wars fans who are jealous of avatar land"
~LOL. Agreed -- and honestly, they should be grateful! If it weren't for Avatarland there would be *no* chance for a Star Wars Land. Disney was able to leverage Avatar against Star Wars as a bargaining tool forcing Lucas down to a negotiable price. Lucas would have never sold Star Wars if it weren't for Avatarland. It's a win-win for everyone & we get to enjoy both!

Quote:
~Yes! Precisely this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnGorski View Post
~Oh gosh -- I can't wait!

Quote:
Me too-- and I hope after all this defending they don't disappoint.
~I don't think they will. If Disney tries to justify more clammobiles and cutouts James Cameron will just flip. Seriously, Disney Imagineers and James Cameron's team working together has such enormous potential. I can't wait for Avatarland, it's going to be fabulous!
'

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #204
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Man, you guys are getting desperate with this Avatar defense.

Anyways DRDISNEYMD, do you have a source for the use of Avatarland as leverage against Lucas? this is the first I've heard of it.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #205
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile ~imo, imo, imo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairylives View Post
Man, you guys are getting desperate with this Avatar defense.

Anyways DRDISNEYMD, do you have a source for the use of Avatarland as leverage against Lucas? this is the first I've heard of it.
~Disney had been unsuccessful in their previous attempts to acquire the Lucas IP for decades on end. Lucas wouldn't budge, he didn't have to. The Star Wars franchise is worth over 30 Billion, he let it go for a fraction of that, just before Avatarland construction. You don't need a "source" to figure that out -- I'm an astute observer, that's all.

~Oh, and I think "you guys" are more desperate. I can't find one thread on this entire board without someone bemoaning Avatarland -- it makes me love it that much more!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #206
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Disney had been unsuccessful in their previous attempts to acquire the Lucas IP for decades on end. Lucas wouldn't budge, he didn't have to. The Star Wars franchise is worth over 30 Billion, he let it go for a fraction of that, just before Avatarland construction. You don't need a "source" to figure that out -- I'm an astute observer, that's all.

~Oh, and I think "you guys" are more desperate. I can't find one thread on this entire board without someone bemoaning Avatarland -- it makes me love it that much more!
That doesn't really make any sense whatsoever, and really doesn't sync up with a lot of what Lucas has been saying/ people within Lucasfilm have been saying.

You're implying that Lucas was intimidated by Avatarland that he was so desperate as to give up his IPs as a last ditch effort to.....what exactly? How would he benefit?

I just find it completely sad that you "defenders" feel the need to pretend like a dead IP with almost no fanbase is viable because "it could make a cool-looking land". You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but there are obviously a lot of people that actively dislike Avatar, and that opinion is also valid.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #207
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That doesn't really make any sense whatsoever, and really doesn't sync up with a lot of what Lucas has been saying/ people within Lucasfilm have been saying.

You're implying that Lucas was intimidated by Avatarland that he was so desperate as to give up his IPs as a last ditch effort to.....what exactly? How would he benefit?

I just find it completely sad that you "defenders" feel the need to pretend like a dead IP with almost no fanbase is viable because "it could make a cool-looking land". You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but there are obviously a lot of people that actively dislike Avatar, and that opinion is also valid.
Defending with facts by the way not i dont like it so it must suck theory lol
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 05-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #208
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
Defending with facts by the way not i dont like it so it must suck theory lol
The facts? There aren't really many "facts" to be had in this debate. If any side has a point based in anything other than opinion its the side citing the idea that Avatar is a dead IP, and that Cameron isn't easy to work with. At the end of the day,its essentially down to whether you like it or not.

One side says: "wait and see" "I like Avatar, so i look forward to this" or "I trust Disney, this will at least look nice (or provide a quality ride)" among other things.

The other side says : " Avatar never had the impact that the studio hoped" "The IP is dead, without a sequel on the horizon" "there isn't a fanbase for this" "the movie was crappy" among other things.

Both sides have some decent points, and both sides have terrible points. At this point though, its getting a lot harder to defend the project considering the state of the IP, and the surplus of IPs available for theme park translation that don't have the insane amount of baggage this project seems to have.

I do indeed concede, as a "hater", that the vistas found in Avatar could prove to be pretty and could provide some very interesting and quality rides (after all, Disney does indeed have a good track record). At the end of the day though, as far as my opinion goes, i in fact do not like Avatar, and, to me, it does indeed "suck". That is a personal truth i will hold onto, as do many moviegoers and park fans.

My amusement in this thread is that now the defenders are resorting to pinning this on Star Wars fans, as if its even comparable as a viable franchise for theme parks, or that either franchises have anything to do with each other . For god's sakes look at DRDISNEYMD, she's going as far as saying that somehow Avatar has something to do with Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm :D

To make a long story short, I haven't really seen a lot of "facts" beyond " the movie made money" and "Disney has a good track record". Feel free to throw me some more facts, preferably with more punctuation though.

Last edited by dairylives; 05-05-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #209
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The facts? There aren't really many "facts" to be had in this debate. If any side has a point based in anything other than opinion its the side citing the idea that Avatar is a dead IP, and that Cameron isn't easy to work with. At the end of the day,its essentially down to whether you like it or not.

One side says: "wait and see" "I like Avatar, so i look forward to this" or "I trust Disney, this will at least look nice (or provide a quality ride)" among other things.

The other side says : " Avatar never had the impact that the studio hoped" "The IP is dead, without a sequel on the horizon" "there isn't a fanbase for this" "the movie was crappy" among other things.

Both sides have some decent points, and both sides have terrible points. At this point though, its getting a lot harder to defend the project considering the state of the IP, and the surplus of IPs available for theme park translation that don't have the insane amount of baggage this project seems to have.

I do indeed concede, as a "hater", that the vistas found in Avatar could prove to be pretty and could provide some very interesting and quality rides (after all, Disney does indeed have a good track record). At the end of the day though, as far as my opinion goes, i in fact do not like Avatar, and, to me, it does indeed "suck". That is a personal truth i will hold onto, as do many moviegoers and park fans.

My amusement in this thread is that now the defenders are resorting to pinning this on Star Wars fans, as if its even comparable as a viable franchise for theme parks, or that either franchises have anything to do with each other . For god's sakes look at DRDISNEYMD, she's going as far as saying that somehow Avatar has something to do with Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm :D

To make a long story short, I haven't really seen a lot of "facts" beyond " the movie made money" and "Disney has a good track record". Feel free to throw me some more facts, preferably with more punctuation though.
Please refer back to my links listed there you will find facts on its popularity

This argument reminds me of my kids not wanting to try new foods. They say i hate it before they ever try it. Same thing here people hate it before it was made

I suggest try it when it opens and then let us know what you think
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 05-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #210
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I ve never mentioned star wars btw
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: