Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

'The Avengers 2': Salary Disputes May Force Recasting

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...=entertainment

Quote:
With "Iron Man 3" passing the $740 million mark in worldwide ticket sales, Marvel Studios is king of the jungle at the moment. The production company behind "Marvel's The Avengers," all three "Iron Man" films, "Thor," "Captain America" and "The Incredible Hulk" has seen its profile rise in the last five years thanks to the global thirst for superhero movies.

"I'd like to think, as we make more movies and they become more successful, there are less and less people that have never seen any of the other ones," Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige told HuffPost Entertainment when asked about worries that expanding the Marvel universe in upcoming films like "Guardians of the Galaxy" and "Ant-Man" would alienate the audience.

Yet that success hasn't come without a price. As Deadline.com's Nikki Finke noted this week, Marvel is playing hardball with the cast of "The Avengers 2," a decision that could lead to new actors stepping into the roles made famous by Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Hemsworth.

Downey's Marvel contract expired with "Iron Man 3," and while everyone seems to assume he'll return for "Marvel's The Avengers 2," the actor is still unsigned. Moreover, he won't come cheap. Downey confirmed to GQ that he was paid over $50 million for "Marvel's The Avengers" when all was said and done, and it's likely he won't take too much of a discount to return. ("Marvel's The Avengers" made $1.5 billion worldwide for Marvel and Disney, the studio that releases Marvel Studios films.)

"Isn't that crazy?" Downey joked to GQ. "They're so pissed. I can't believe it. I'm what's known as 'a strategic cost.'"

Or maybe not. Feige has praised Downey for bringing Tony Stark to life in the "Iron Man" franchise, but he doesn't necessarily think Downey is irreplaceable.

"I don't think Robert will be playing this character for another 30 years, and I certainly hope the character stays in movies for the next 30 years -- just like James Bond," Feige told HuffPost Entertainment. "I would say before George Lazenby and Roger Moore, Sean Connery was James Bond. It will take a while to fill any shoes, whether it's filmmaker shoes or writer shoes or certainly actor shoes. I think Tony Stark is an interesting enough and rich enough character that he can persevere. That being said, I hope that doesn't happen any time soon. It certainly is our plan to continue to have Robert Downey in the persona of Tony Stark for many, many years to come."

In an interview with EW, however, Feige called Stark "as evergreen as James Bond, Batman, or for that matter, Spider-Man," all characters that have had multiple actors play them onscreen.

Feige hasn't said similar things about Thor, the character Hemsworth plays in the Marvel universe. Finke, however, noted that Hemsworth is unsigned for "Marvel's The Avengers 2" and apparently not totally willing to acquiesce to Marvel's demands. For instance, according to HitFix writer Drew McWeeny, Hemsworth had to pay for his own gym membership during production of "Marvel's The Avengers":

All of which raises the question: Can anyone star in "Marvel's The Avengers 2," or are the roles wedded to Downey, Hemsworth and fellow stars Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Mark Ruffalo and Samuel L. Jackson? Vote in the poll below. For more on the wild and crazy world of Marvel negotiations, head over to Deadline.com.

"Marvel's The Avengers 2" is set for release on May 1, 2015.

Click link for more details.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

I think it would be a terrible idea to recast for the first sequel. The 3rd or 4th, perhaps, but first?
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
dadddio
DIS Veteran

I think that they have to say that Downey is replaceable as a way to keep him from demanding $75M and hopefully get him for just $50M.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
GWS
Earning My Ears

"Hemsworth had to pay for his own gym membership during production of "Marvel's The Avengers".

You got to be kidding me, how cheap of the studio.

While the possibility of recasting may happen wonít ruin the franchises. However it will turn some fans off. One thing that always bothered me about the Tim Burton Batmanís was the constant re-casting of Batman. I know that most actors do not want to continue to play the same character over and over again for fear of being typed casted but to re-cast someone simply because of money when the franchise is doing successful is just ridiculous. The studio ends up keeping the larger portion of all the profits, so if they make more they can afford to pay more.

I guess we will all have to wait and see what happens.
GWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Marvel stands to make a fortune and they won't pay for a gym membership? That's pretty pathetic.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS View Post
One thing that always bothered me about the Tim Burton Batmanís was the constant re-casting of Batman. I know that most actors do not want to continue to play the same character over and over again for fear of being typed casted but to re-cast someone simply because of money when the franchise is doing successful is just ridiculous.
Correction: There were no recast roles in Tim Burton's Batman. The abominable projects that followed Batman Returns recast the role of Batman, but those are most certainly not Tim Burton's Batman (producer credit notwithstanding).

Similarly, Christopher Nolan was able to retain his full Batman cast. Excellent directors and storytellers tend to have a way with that.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Unhappy

~Oh gosh, I hope not! It sounds like Marvel is hoping for the same success it had when they replaced Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle. I really hope both sides can reach an agreement quickly.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
dairylives
Mouseketeer

The apocalyptic article title is not really reflected in the article itself. Negotiations happen for every single movie, this movie should be no different.
dairylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
BenKling
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975

Similarly, Christopher Nolan was able to retain his full Batman cast. Excellent directors and storytellers tend to have a way with that.
Remember that Katie Holmes was replaced in the 2nd film...

But yes, there should definitely be some continuity. I think the best part of the avengers team is that there are so many characters that could be introduced. Thor can sit one out of he wants

BenKling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKling View Post
Remember that Katie Holmes was replaced in the 2nd film...

But yes, there should definitely be some continuity. I think the best part of the avengers team is that there are so many characters that could be introduced. Thor can sit one out of he wants
True. I've always had a feeling that had more to do with Tom Cruise than Christopher Nolan, though. I was perfectly happy with Maggie in the role.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
tianna26
Mouseketeer

Rdj is Ironman if he is recast wont have the same feel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: