Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
calngavinsmom
Mouseketeer

Upgrade question

Hello everyone! I really value the experience and knowledge on this board.....especially while trying to plan my first ever cruise Well, technically this is a second attempt because we had to cancel our February cruise halfway through our "Dream" vacation (we were doing 4 nights at the world and 3 on the dream) when our diabetic little one got violently ill with a stomach bug

But anyway, we are rebooked to try again in October and I have a question for you all. I have read on this board that some people have received free "surprise" upgrades. I am concerned about this not because I want one, but because I really do not. We have an AFT balcony room booked and really don't want to be moved to a cabin on the side of the boat, even if it is considered an upgrade.

I have called DCL twice to try to get a "No Upgrade Please" put on our ressie and both times have been told that I don't need to do that that they only upgrade your cabin if you book a GTY room and since I have a room number assigned to me, it will not change.

Is this right? And if not, what should I do? I really don't want to be moved but I don't want to keep harassing them about putting on a request that they apparently don't think I will need

Thanks for any advice o wise ones

Last edited by calngavinsmom; 03-13-2013 at 11:00 AM.
calngavinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

I've never tried to do it, but the general suggestion is to request "no upgrade." I think upgrades from selected staterooms are fairly rare, but it does happen. If it's that important to you, I'd keep trying until a phone CM will do it - maybe respond with "please humor me and make the notation anyway."

Sorry your little one was so ill! Enjoy your second-chance cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Another example of a DCL CSR who doesn't know what they are talking about! We have been upgraded twice. Both times we had selected room numbers. When you think about how DCL sells GTYs, there is actually a lesser chance of getting an upgrade the later you book. If they sell you a cat 8 for $4000 on opening day, the price for that room could increase to $6000 or more before the cruise sails. If the cat 8s sell out and they have only cat 4s to sell at $9000 each that price will turn away many, but if they open up cat 8s to sell by moving you out of your $4000 room to sell it to someone else for $6000 they are ahead and have one less empty room onboard. They also have an extra happy guest with an upgrade.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
calngavinsmom
Mouseketeer

I guess I will be calling back! Thanks guys

calngavinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
Rogue1230
Waiting to sail away on a dream

well here is a twist?

Ok, then if I have booked the cat 11c GTY because I want the magical porthole, can I turn down the upgrade when I get it? I think the only circumstances I would take an upgrade is if I was upgraded to a verandah cabin. I doubt they will put a " no upgrade please, unless it is a verandah room" om my res.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue1230
Ok, then if I have booked the cat 11c GTY because I want the magical porthole, can I turn down the upgrade when I get it? I think the only circumstances I would take an upgrade is if I was upgraded to a verandah cabin. I doubt they will put a " no upgrade please, unless it is a verandah room" om my res.
Put no upgrade please or risk an upgrade. Your choice
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

We were in the same situation a couple of years ago. We had booked a specific aft cabin on the Dream. With no notice to us, they moved us to a side facing verandah cabin and called it an upgrade, using the "white wall verandah" reason. We didn't even find out until the docs arrived and the cabin number on the luggage tags was not correct. We did not think that it was an upgrade because the "white wall verandah" only comes up about 1 foot on the Dream, and we had booked the specific cabin for the larger balcony. We called them and explained we did not want the upgrade and insisted they move us back. They moved us back to our previously selected room with no arguments. I also had them put "do not upgrade" notes on the other reservations that we had at that time. Those ones were not upgraded as requested.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: