Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #31
BigDisneyLove
Earning My Ears

Everyone needs to stop playing the blame game. Accidents are called ACCIDENTS for a reason. People don't say "It was an ON PURPOSE", they say "It was AN ACCIDENT." For everyone who was there, for everyone who witnessed, helped, was involved in any capacity, they will have to live their lives with this event in their hearts, forever. For those of you who blame the poor young man's parents, shame on you. They will blame themselves for eternity. They don't need someone else to do it for them. For those who blame Disney, I assume it's only because you cannot accept that accidents of this magnitude happen, and it really is nobody's FAULT. Everyone involved in this tragedy needs love, support and prayers, more than a blame game of "How could you let this happen." Find your humanity, and let these people who were there and witnessed this sad event, and especially this poor little boys family grieve. In private. Without anyone, Disney, family members or anyone else, being blamed for this tragedy.
BigDisneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #32
JollyHoliday
Mouseketeer

I feel really sorry for his family ,really so sad. I do think there could of been some prevention measures on Disney's part though. I could not own a built-in pool in my yard with out a fence around it and a childproof lock on the gate. They should close pools by 11pm with a lifeguard on duty till then. Also just because a sign says swim at your own risk in english would not work for travelers that don't read or speak english.
JollyHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #33
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Guys, could I respectfully suggest that we shut down the blame game. Or at least defer it for a few days. Or push it to a different "blame game" thread. But not here.

A family on a vacation has just gone through an inexplicable, unfathomable loss. The loss of a child. I can't even begin to comprehend how agonizing that would be. There aren't even words to describe it.

It could be any of us who have taken our families to Disney, or the lake, or on a boat, or even going to school for that matter.

Blame won't bring back this boy or calm the agony of his family.

Prayers for peace and comfort for them during this horrendous time.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #34
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post
Guys, could I respectfully suggest that we shut down the blame game. Or at least defer it for a few days. Or push it to a different "blame game" thread. But not here.

A family on a vacation has just gone through an inexplicable, unfathomable loss. The loss of a child. I can't even begin to comprehend how agonizing that would be. There aren't even words to describe it.

It could be any of us who have taken our families to Disney, or the lake, or on a boat, or even going to school for that matter.

Blame won't bring back this boy or calm the agony of his family.

Prayers for peace and comfort for them during this horrendous time.
Thank you for saying this.

Hopefully this thread will just be closed and everyone can keep,the family, including the child, in their prayers.

Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #35
Disney_Ohana
Mouseketeer

Many prayers for their family & those that were there to help. So heartbreaking.

Disney_Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #36
conniehar90
DIS Veteran

Many prayers for this family.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #37
rflorek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyHoliday View Post
I feel really sorry for his family ,really so sad. I do think there could of been some prevention measures on Disney's part though. I could not own a built-in pool in my yard with out a fence around it and a childproof lock on the gate. They should close pools by 11pm with a lifeguard on duty till then. Also just because a sign says swim at your own risk in english would not work for travelers that don't read or speak english.
Many hotels around the country would have to do this then. Disney pools are some of the few with lifeguards at any time in the many places I have visited over the years.

This is an accident & should be treated as such. There doesn't have to be someone to blame every time something happens. This is the result of our litigation-happy American society along with people lacking a feeling of personal responsibility.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #38
nuts
Lover of Disney, Family Guy, and all around good person

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflorek

this is an accident & should be treated as such. There doesn't have to be someone to blame every time something happens. This is the result of our litigation-happy american society along with people lacking a feeling of personal responsibility.
amen!!!!!

nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #39
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Disney has been fencing their pools lately in new builds... which at least prevents small children from wandering up to the edge and falling in.

But to suggest all pools close without lifeguards is folly. That's far too expensive and rates for all hotels will go up... and there aren't enough people to staff them. Must we lifeguard the jacuzzis too? So we'd end up with no quiet pools and limited hours to protect a few families from their inaction.

My daughter NEVER swims at a pool that has no lifeguard. I am her lifeguard. I sit facing the water and keep track of her. I do not let her swim underwater for extended periods of time so that if she disappears for more than a few seconds I know to jump up and look for her.

that's how ALL families should treat a pool with no lifeguard.

35+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #40
SFreelove
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie

Thank you for saying this.

Hopefully this thread will just be closed and everyone can keep,the family, including the child, in their prayers.

My thoughts exactly. It's a bit disgusting people are bickering on a board about this topic. It's tragic and sad. Not need for the bickering and point fingers, when none of you are personally related to the situation. The family is obviously in a ton of pain, imagine if one of them happen to come across this thread and see what some people are saying, that's the last thing they need. In cases of this it should strictly be, thoughts an prayers to the family and that's IT. So sad.
SFreelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #41
SFreelove
Mouseketeer

I agree this thread should be closed, IMO.
SFreelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #42
tth5454
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsDrew
Just wanted to provide a link to a sad front page CNN story about a child's death after being pulled from the Pop Century pool.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/13/us/flo...html?hpt=hp_t2
So sad. My prayers are with the family
tth5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #43
Mouse14
Wish I was at the Lodge

While I agree having no life guards is a stupid idea, I really hope they do not close the pools when life guards are off... I for one take advantage of late night swims and hottubs, if no life guards are there how about a little better parents supervision??? Very sad story, as a firefighter paramedic who visits Disney alot, everytime I am pool side I keep an eye open to the kids swimming, just a habit and I don't even have kids. I personally have jumped in to pull a kid out of a Disney pool very quickly before the on duty life guard even saw it... Things happen and it's very sad to hear this.

Dates i can remember....
Annual pass holder in Feb 2010

Wilderness lodge- (Feb 4,5,6 2010)(Feb 4,5,6 2011)
Caribbean Beach - (Mar 2010)
Saratoga Springs- (July 2010)
Coronado- (Aug2010)
Offsite for Not so scary Halloween party (Oct 2010)
Allstar Movies for Very Merry Christmas party (Dec2010)

POP for Vey Merry (Dec 2011)
Aulani for honeymoon (Feb 4-11 2012)
Mouse14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #44
TARAMEOW
Mouseketeer

so sorry for this family. This kind of tragedy should not happen.

TARAMEOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #45
MichelleWDWfan
Mouseketeer

omg I was there when this happened.
I had gotten back to POP from my dinner at Victoria and Alberts...
It was approx 11:30pm on Sunday night.

I walked thru the main building and out the back door to go to the smoking area...I was wondering why there were CM's posted all around the entrances to the pool. Now I know why.

So sorry to hear of this sad event. Thoughts and prayers for the family.

Me DS 18

March 2009 - AS Movies, March 2010 = POP, August 2010 - POP, March 2011 - POP,
Dec 2011 - POP (MVMCP), July 2012 - POR, March 2013 - POP, Sept 2013 - POP (MNSSHP),
March 2014 - POP, May 2014 Rock Your Disney Side! 24 hr event - POP
MichelleWDWfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death, pop century pool

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: