Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
yaddakal
Mouseketeer

No lifeguard should equal no pool being opened! This is tragic, I am so sorry. With disneyworld money this is inexcusable.

Disney All Star Movies May 2009
Disney Port Orleans Riverside 2010
Disney Coronado Springs/Dream Cruise May 2013
Booked for Fantasy August 2014
yaddakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaddakal View Post
No lifeguard should equal no pool being opened! This is tragic, I am so sorry. With disneyworld money this is inexcusable.
Hotel pools all over the country operate without any lifeguards at all. Disney did absolutely nothing wrong in this instance. It was a tragic accident. Accidents can (and do) happen anywhere.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
Tom999
Earning My Ears

sad

Tom999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaddakal
Pool accidents should never happen...

But they do. Disney's money is irrelevant to this incident or the argument.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
Tom999
Earning My Ears

sad

Tom999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #21
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

*hops into flame suit* The bad news here besides the result is so long as there was that posted sign/stand thingie that said "swim at your own risk", Disney is totally not at fault. Like others have said, hotel pools all over rarely have life guards. It's not a prudent staffing decision. I'd really doubt that any policy will change because of this. You can't even say it was a matter of it being a kid. These kind of accidents can happen to anyone. I'm 5'2" and in my twenties. I'm not a great swimmer. If I was in the deep end (and I'm not referencing what the kid was doing or not doing) and something happened while their wasn't a life guard on duty, frankly I'm the one that took the risk. Even if I was 6'10" and in the shallow end, accidents happen. It'd still be on me.

That all being said, what a terrible thing for the family to go through, for a happy place not to be a happy place anymore.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #22
Mouseaholic!!!
DIS Veteran

Here is my 2cents----worth 2cents or less.

In my later years (could I be more vague) with my first heart proceedure just behind me; I still remember my Mom's words to me when I was young.

"Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't necessarily make it right".

Now let's all take a moment for a dose of reality.

Imagine standing beside those big floor to ceiling windows today at Orlando Airport. You watch as they slowly load a small casket onto the waiting jet. Somewhere you know the family is learning a harsh, new reality.

Call me emotional, but I would give those rules a second thought.
Mouseaholic!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #23
18sprint
Mouseketeer

My heart and prayers go out to the family and friends of this young man and I, along with many people are truly saddened by this event.
Not trying to lay blame on anyone.....The article read that the boy was "jumping in and out with friends". I have to wonder if he hit is head or had the wind knocked out of him. The water, I believe is 4' or 5' deep which is why there are signs posted, and painted on the concrete "no jumping or diving". I agree, if there had been lifeguards on duty, their job would've been to stop the running and jumping and/or possibly diving that may have been going on. Was there any other supervision?
18sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #24
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18sprint View Post
My heart and prayers go out to the family and friends of this young man and I, along with many people are truly saddened by this event.
Not trying to lay blame on anyone.....The article read that the boy was "jumping in and out with friends". I have to wonder if he hit is head or had the wind knocked out of him. The water, I believe is 4' or 5' deep which is why there are signs posted, and painted on the concrete "no jumping or diving". I agree, if there had been lifeguards on duty, their job would've been to stop the running and jumping and/or possibly diving that may have been going on. Was there any other supervision?
His parents were there. His dad is the one who began CPR.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #25
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Here's my view on it, I'm sorry this happened, as a father to two young children, I can't imagine what this family is going through. My heart goes out to them.

However, I can't put the blame on Disney, at some point we have to stop finding someone to blame for things, at some point we have to learn that sometimes accidents just happen.

Given the amount of pools and water parks disney has on property I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. Maybe that speaks to how well Disney polices its pools.

I'm not one of those that believes Disney does no wrong, I find many things they do wrong, but I don't think this is their fault.
ChipnDale79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #26
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
His parents were there. His dad is the one who began CPR.
I'm sorry to say that the parents being there and them supervising the kids are two separate things.

The story says that the parents lost track of the child.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #27
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

drowning is such a quiet and (fairly) motionless thing. Don't blame his family for not noticing sooner. It was an accident.
HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #28
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
In order to do that they would probably have to circle the pool with an 8 foot tall barbed wire topped fence and/or patrol the pool. Here is the kicker, if someone sneaked in and had an accident, Disney would probably be at fault for having an "Attractive Nuisance" though the fence may protect them.

By putting up a "Swim at your own risk sign" they negate some of their liability and don't have a huge fence surrounding their pool.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #29
delilah
DIS Veteran

I wasn't there, and don't know what happened, but, I can remember when I was about 12 years old watching kids jumping off of the roof of a nearby building into the motel pool. I remember that there were adults there (my parents wouldn't let us into the pool while they were there) and no lifeguard. It could well have been that the kids jumping were young adults--I just remember that they were older than me, and younger than my parents. And, over the years, I have cared for more than one patient who was in the teenage/young adult age range when they suffered some type of debilitating injury, that might have been avoided by better judgement on the part of the patient, or better supervision by a parent, or whatever. I had a classmate who died in a fall from the observation deck at O'Hare airport.

I really feel sorry for the family of this young boy. It is about the saddest situation that I can imagine to lose a child, for any reason, in any place.

But, I will take the unpopular stance that it is a bit unjust to sue a business, or individual, for an injury or illness that just happened to occur on their property. For example, I live on a wooded lot that is surrounded on 3 sides by a 10-15 ft ravine with a creek at the bottom, with a stop sign that is directly across from my driveway. There is a retention pond across the street. Nearly every winter, somebody manages to miss the turn, and drives there car into the ravine. Sometimes they hit my trees, or mailbox, or make deep ridges in my lawn. Somebody even drove their car into the retention pond, once. The street and pond don't belong to me. If you stop at the stop sign, and don't drive too fast, you should be able to miss the ravine and pond. I have lived here for almost 20 years, and have managed not to drive my car into the ravine, or hit the trees along my driveway, or drive into the pond. If you don't want me to sue you for hitting my tree, or my mailbox, or ruining my lawn, then don't sue me because you were driving too fast and drove into the ravine.

Likewise, if you are at an airport, on top of the parking garage, watching the planes take off, and you decide to climb onto the concrete barrier and fall, I think it's a bit unjust to sue O'Hare. Likewise, running on a wet pool deck, or whatever. Some things are just common sense. Which sometimes goes out the window when money is involved.
delilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #30
jordanri
i am disgruntled in every childhood photo from disney

as someone who worked at this pool, i'm deeply saddened by this event. my heart goes out to the family as no one expects to go on vacation and have to deal with loss

however, disney isn't responsible for this. it wasn't negligent on their behalf, let's be honest. most hotels don't have any staffing on their pools and there are "swim at your own risk" signs to negate any responsibility.

feature pools are closed as waterslides cannot operate without proper gaurding but quiet pools are an exception to this. the cost of blocking them off would be too great unfortunately and my thoughts are guest would cause an uproar about it. it was an accident that could of been avoided, but accidents happen...

let's try not to pin blame on anyone

2012 Disney College Program Children's Activities Hostess • 2012 Disney's Contemporary Resort & Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 2012 Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter Resort • 2012 Disney's Pop Century Resort • 2011 Disney College Program Attractions Hostess • 2011 Disney's Pop Century Resort • 2008 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 2004 Off-Site Band Trip • 2001 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 1999 Disney's Port Orleans Resort • 1997 Disney's Dixie Landings Resort • 1995 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 1994 Disney's Port Orleans Resort
jordanri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death, pop century pool

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: