Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
mimmi
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austria
Posts: 1,038

Spontaneous trip to the City

I'm going to NYC at the end of April, ok, maybe that's not so spontaneous after all, but with the long distance flight and getting organized it feels as if I don't have much time.
There seem to be so many NCY experts on this board that I thought I could get great tips here.

The situation:
I'm going with my cousin who has never left Europe before, without kid and husband. I've been to NYC at least 20 times, but never for longer than 48 hours and usually only did some shopping, grab a snack and sleep a lot as I was always exhausted from work.
We are staying at Madison/6th Avenue, so I think there are many interesting things in walking distance.

My questions:
I've reserved tickets for the 9/11 memorial, they are for 11 am. Do we have to be there at 11am sharp or can we come anytime between 11 and 12?

I love rooftop bars, what are the best ones?
I'm not sure if we should see a broadway show, mainly because of the jet lag which makes evening adventures so tiring, but if we do, are there shows with tickets available on the same day?
I would be grateful for breakfast tips, I remember that finding nice breakfast spots has always been the biggest challenge for me.
Thanks!
__________________
mimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
Caradana
Miraculously, Refreshingly Marooned in Anonymity
 
Caradana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,749

Awesome! Madison and 6th, do you mean Madison and 36th? I can recommend breakfast spots if so. I don't think Madison hits 6th St? But maybe you mean the East Village, down by the Bowery somewhere?
Caradana is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 3,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
I'm going to NYC at the end of April, ok, maybe that's not so spontaneous after all, but with the long distance flight and getting organized it feels as if I don't have much time.
There seem to be so many NCY experts on this board that I thought I could get great tips here.

The situation:
I'm going with my cousin who has never left Europe before, without kid and husband. I've been to NYC at least 20 times, but never for longer than 48 hours and usually only did some shopping, grab a snack and sleep a lot as I was always exhausted from work.
We are staying at Madison/6th Avenue, so I think there are many interesting things in walking distance.

My questions:
I've reserved tickets for the 9/11 memorial, they are for 11 am. Do we have to be there at 11am sharp or can we come anytime between 11 and 12?

I love rooftop bars, what are the best ones?
I'm not sure if we should see a broadway show, mainly because of the jet lag which makes evening adventures so tiring, but if we do, are there shows with tickets available on the same day?
I would be grateful for breakfast tips, I remember that finding nice breakfast spots has always been the biggest challenge for me.
Thanks!
Madison and Sixth Ave. don't intersect - do you know, Madison and what? (And it's not Madison and Sixth St. - Madison ends at 23rd, Madison Square Park.) If you can be more precise I can recommend a breakfast place. I love Balthazar, which is probably not near your hotel, but a great place to eat and people watch.

For the memorial, the line you get in at 11:00 a.m. will still be long and have a bag check, so you will be fine coming later, but I would try to be in it by 11:30 or so. In my experience they are flexible.

For rooftop bars - love Brass Monkey (meatpacking). Beekman Towers (but it's really an older crowd - I just end up there a lot because my apartment is nearby). The Gansevoort is much younger and cooler, but a velvet-rope type place. I have only been there for private parties so I don't know what it's like on a regular night but I think you may have to wait quite a while and shell out some $$$.

Search this board for TKTS - many posts on how to get discounted same-day tickets.

Enjoy your trip!
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran
 
Lorelei Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,637

Yes, TKTS has a booth in Times Square for same day tickets. Also check to see if their South Street Seaport location is open -- I think it took damage from Sandy but if it's open it's likely to be less crowded.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
mimmi
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austria
Posts: 1,038

Oh sorry, the 4 went missing somehow, it was supposed to be Madison and 46th, but I just discovered it's Madison and 45th.

I know Balthazar, I had dinner there in the year 2000 (wow, I'm really getting old) it's in SoHo or somewhere nearby, right?
__________________
mimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 3,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
Oh sorry, the 4 went missing somehow, it was supposed to be Madison and 46th, but I just discovered it's Madison and 45th.

I know Balthazar, I had dinner there in the year 2000 (wow, I'm really getting old) it's in SoHo or somewhere nearby, right?
Yes, Soho. Spring Street, just east of Broadway.

Are you staying at the Roosevelt? You'll be near-ish the Comfort Diner. That's on 45th between 2nd and 3rd. A little bit of a walk but not bad if you're going to, say, Grand Central to get the subway.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
mimmi
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austria
Posts: 1,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
Yes, Soho. Spring Street, just east of Broadway.

Are you staying at the Roosevelt? You'll be near-ish the Comfort Diner. That's on 45th between 2nd and 3rd. A little bit of a walk but not bad if you're going to, say, Grand Central to get the subway.
Yes, the Roosevelt, I hope it's ok, but the location seemed good.

Thanks for the breakfast tip, I just looked on their website and saw a picture of a delicious looking French toast, we will definitely go there and I'm contemplating French toast for breakfast tomorrow...
__________________
mimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 3,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
Yes, the Roosevelt, I hope it's ok, but the location seemed good.

Thanks for the breakfast tip, I just looked on their website and saw a picture of a delicious looking French toast, we will definitely go there and I'm contemplating French toast for breakfast tomorrow...
They have s'mores too!

I don't know anything about the Roosevelt, but I have walked by often and it is in a terrific location. Very convenient to shopping, subways, Rock Center, easy walk to Times Square.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,865

Many shows have matinees, around 2pm on Wednesday and/or Saturday. Might be an option for you to do a show without risk of falling askeep!
__________________
I haven't had a cigarette since 1/25/2012...woohoo!!!!
Bren's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.