Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
MickeyWatcher
Mouseketeer

So I have spent time on the boards for awhile reading and asking questions about kid club options for my DS who is 11. So here is what I have surmised from posts and discussion with those who have been on DCL before.

As previously mentioned; Do your child's registration on board. Much quicker then in the terminal. No check in/out required at the Edge. Will have to wear the band in Lab but can easily be cut off and put back on the next time they go to the Lab. Just don't loose the tracker.

Based on how full your cruise is, your 12 yr old might have to choose between going to the Lab or Edge for the cruise. Several have said that their kids could only do one or the other, and others have said that they allowed their kids to float between Lab and Edge. You will have to ask once on board. However, if they will allow your kid to go between them, they must have sign-out privileges in the Lab. If your kid will only be allowed one location, then make sure they attend the meet the counselor activity in the Edge the first night to see what activities they will be doing. That might help decide. Once we tell the kids we are going, I'm going to show my DS the navigators from past cruises for him to get an idea of what he might want to do.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your cruise!
POP-Oct 05; POP-May 08; WH-Oct 08; Portofino-Mar 09; WH-Aug 09; POP-Dec 10; WH-Jul 12; DCL-May 13

Disneyland
AP for 10 yrs. Way too many times to count!

DCL
Magic-May 13

Me DW DS DS DD
MickeyWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
flexsmom

DIS Veteran

But ... I'm a DVC member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
Ok. Thank you. We don't have a lounge as we are on the Magic. Sooo...I am going to assume I need to head to another line then after check in. Wish they would get it right when you call. It is the 3rd time I have asked them something and it turns out the real answer is different then what they have told me! It's like when you call WDW and they say your connected rooms are "absolutely guaranteed". But they really aren't!
Even though there isn't a dedicated concierge lounge on the Magic, DCL has one of the bars set up for concierge passengers to meet with the concierges and reps from the youth clubs, spa, etc., to go over itinerary and sign up for any additional activities that you didn't already do on-line. But, as others have said, if the line isn't long and you still have time before boarding, it is easy to do in the terminal, too.
flexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #18
CajunMomof3
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the input. I was just confused when I was able to pre-register one child and not the other. Maybe I'm just not ready for him to be so grownup... Lol!
Pop Century (11/07), All-Star Movies (10/08), Port Orleans- Riverside (6/09), Coronado Springs (10/09), Boardwalk Villas (11/10), Boardwalk Inn (4/11), Port Orleans- Riverside/Polynesian (10/11), Grand Floridian (3/12), DisneyLand Hotel (12/12), Disney Magic (3/13), ** AP**Wilderness Lodge (7/13), POR (7/13), POFQ (8/13), SOG (8/13)
CajunMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #19
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMomof3 View Post
Thanks for all the input. I was just confused when I was able to pre-register one child and not the other. Maybe I'm just not ready for him to be so grownup... Lol!
It is hard seeing them grow-up. My son was 11 on our last cruise and loved the Edge. You might want to see which club your 12 year old likes better.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
CajunMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc

It is hard seeing them grow-up. My son was 11 on our last cruise and loved the Edge. You might want to see which club your 12 year old likes better.
He has said that he wants to go to the Edge, but he wants to check in on his younger brother too (he tends to be protective because his brother is autistic). I think he was intrigued by some of the things he saw online for both. I will get him signed up for both and let him make his choices from there.

I appreciate the heads up on the planning meeting at the Edge the first night. Thanks, DisBoard buddies!
Pop Century (11/07), All-Star Movies (10/08), Port Orleans- Riverside (6/09), Coronado Springs (10/09), Boardwalk Villas (11/10), Boardwalk Inn (4/11), Port Orleans- Riverside/Polynesian (10/11), Grand Floridian (3/12), DisneyLand Hotel (12/12), Disney Magic (3/13), ** AP**Wilderness Lodge (7/13), POR (7/13), POFQ (8/13), SOG (8/13)
Old 03-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #21
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
He has said that he wants to go to the Edge, but he wants to check in on his younger brother too (he tends to be protective because his brother is autistic). I think he was intrigued by some of the things he saw online for both. I will get him signed up for both and let him make his choices from there.

I appreciate the heads up on the planning meeting at the Edge the first night. Thanks, DisBoard buddies!
It's nice that he is protective and wants to check in on his brother. I swear sometimes I think my two boys hate each other and then one of them will do something nice - and I think - hey they do love each other.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #22
CajunMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc

It's nice that he is protective and wants to check in on his brother. I swear sometimes I think my two boys hate each other and then one of them will do something nice - and I think - hey they do love each other.
I have the same thing happen at my house! Ahh, the joys of being a parent!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:

I think someone has mentioned he may not have the option on your cruise to go between the Lab and Edge. None of our cruises have offered that option. It depends on how many kids are on the cruise apparently, along with the CMs running the kid areas.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexsmom View Post
Even though there isn't a dedicated concierge lounge on the Magic, DCL has one of the bars set up for concierge passengers to meet with the concierges and reps from the youth clubs, spa, etc., to go over itinerary and sign up for any additional activities that you didn't already do on-line. But, as others have said, if the line isn't long and you still have time before boarding, it is easy to do in the terminal, too.
Thank you. I didn't know they set up one of the bars like that. Great to know.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #25
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
Is this different for concierge then? Just curious because that was who I called and who told me I could do it at the check in counter. Of course so far I have learned that shore side concierge is often incorrect from these boards! Either way I would like to know so I can be prepared. Thank you!
With the 11 year you might have to do it at the club/lab b/c of the pre-registration issue. But the rest of the kids in your signature, assuming you have signed them up online, can indeed get their bands at concierge checkin. DS got his at concierge checkin for our cruise. So he went on board with his band already on. SO easy.

And since they obviously have the bands there, I know I would ask if you can do the signin at the checkin as well.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #26
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyWatcher View Post
Will have to wear the band in Lab but can easily be cut off and put back on the next time they go to the Lab. Just don't loose the tracker.
Based on my experience on my last two cruises (Dream in 8/12 and Wonder 2/13), they can keep the band even when going to edge.

My DS12 in the Dream started at Club and then on the second day started going to Edge. But since he wasn't sure if he would go back to Club, he kept the band on all the time.

This time in the Wonder, he went straight to Edge. He was given a band (paper type). But we saw other kids wearing both the Club electronic band and the Edge paper band.

I know in the past, Edge would require you to remove the band. That does not seem to be the case now.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #27
flexsmom

DIS Veteran

But ... I'm a DVC member!

You mentioned that your 11-year old was intrigued by the Lab and also was motivated about being with his brother sometimes. Just an FYI, but my DD tried Edge when she was 11 and then opted back to Lab for the rest of the cruise. (We were fortunate to be on one where it was an option.) When she was was 12 - almost 13 - she tried Edge again and loved it this time. She said when she was 11 that the 13-year olds intimidated her!

Slightly OT, but now that she's almost 14, she has said she really would prefer one more year of Edge instead of going to Vibe.....which is one of the reasons we are trying RCCL (that, and a whole lot of other reasons to do with itinerary!) They split their teens into groups, too - something like 12-14 and 15-17, which DD said she would prefer rather than launching in with a bunch of junior/seniors when she's about to start 9th grade.
flexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #28
CajunMomof3
DIS Veteran

Flexsmom,
I can see that happening with DS. He is small for his age so might be overwhelmed in the Edge. I'm just going to let him make his own choices and remind him that his brother will be fine if he wants to go to the tween area. And then hope that's true lol!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #29
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
Based on my experience on my last two cruises (Dream in 8/12 and Wonder 2/13), they can keep the band even when going to edge.

My DS12 in the Dream started at Club and then on the second day started going to Edge. But since he wasn't sure if he would go back to Club, he kept the band on all the time.

This time in the Wonder, he went straight to Edge. He was given a band (paper type). But we saw other kids wearing both the Club electronic band and the Edge paper band.

I know in the past, Edge would require you to remove the band. That does not seem to be the case now.
That is odd. Seems they want to do away with the age group limits as well as being able to easily distinguish which kids belong in the Edge and which do not. Might be a good thing our upcoming cruise will likely be our last on DCL.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #30
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
With the 11 year you might have to do it at the club/lab b/c of the pre-registration issue. But the rest of the kids in your signature, assuming you have signed them up online, can indeed get their bands at concierge checkin. DS got his at concierge checkin for our cruise. So he went on board with his band already on. SO easy.

And since they obviously have the bands there, I know I would ask if you can do the signin at the checkin as well.
Thank you for the heads up on that. I do have my other three pre-registered so it is just my oldest we have to figure out. I will at least ask about it at check in and see what they say. If not, we will head to the lab.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: