Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me
Earbuds for yourself?

Or think of this...

We know a family of 4 who did the drive straight through in 21 hrs from MA to WDW in one of these!
Our "new" car looks just like that! Hope we never have to take a road trip in it!

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Play "Holiday Road" over and over and be sure to pack real tomato ketchup.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #18
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

Call me a horrible person, but my van, my rules. I would put your child in the middle row captains chairs next to you, and leave the mom and her two kids in the back to duke it out. It's unfair to *your* child to have to put up with those two next to him doing behaviors he knows aren't right for that long of a trip.

And where in the world is all the luggage going (not that it matters, just curious )...

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #19
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Lots and lots of chocolate, my friend! Trader Joes has some awesome chocolate covered almonds that will surely do the trick.
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 AM   #20
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillmolly View Post
Thanks all, well most, for your helpful advice.

To be honest I am most worried for my self! I don't do well on long car rides and find it pretty much next to impossible to sleep in a car.
1)Well don't forget the "barf kit".

2) Since you have car trip anxiety can you talk to you PCP and seriously get yourself some meds for the trip? You have to sleep on a 24hr jaunt. DH and I did a 24hr leg from MO to NYC and we took turns driving and sleeping.

3) You could always drive separate. You leave when you are comfortable/able and they leave on their own. That is what I would do. There are limits to my patience.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #21
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

Two cars ......not sure if I would have the patience for someone else's kids in the car for that long

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise šoš '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #22
2excited2sleep
Earning My Ears

We drove from Detroit to WDW for spring break. It was me DH, DD (7), DS (5), DD (19 mos) and my 73 yo mother. It sounds like you have enough for everyone to do. Try to separate the two that fight. We didn't and it was a miserable drive for everyone. Take frequent breaks and GOOD LUCK!!!
April'13 - AoA
May '14 - POP

2excited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #23
trip
family trip planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopermom View Post
And where in the world is all the luggage going (not that it matters, just curious )...

Terri
That was my first thought. Luggage for a cruise for 7 people. How in the world would it fit in/on a minivan.
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #24
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Honestly, I'd figure out another seating arrangement so the kids are separated. Also, are your DB and SIL ok with you correcting their children? Do you have a smart phone or tablet with headphones for each of the kids to use?

Honestly though I wouldn't travel for that distance in your situation. That's a lot of people in 1 vehicle. Sometimes saving a bit of money just isn't worth it.

I have to say I have 3 older brothers and 1 of them used to annoy the heck out of me. No amount of discussions about it or promises of a prize made a difference for very long. We're great friends now but it was rough.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #25
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
Honestly, I'd figure out another seating arrangement so the kids are separated. Also, are your DB and SIL ok with you correcting their children? Do you have a smart phone or tablet with headphones for each of the kids to use?

Honestly though I wouldn't travel for that distance in your situation. That's a lot of people in 1 vehicle. Sometimes saving a bit of money just isn't worth it.

I have to say I have 3 older brothers and 1 of them used to annoy the heck out of me. No amount of discussions about it or promises of a prize made a difference for very long. We're great friends now but it was rough.
My two dses are always fighting, their personalities are like oil and water. There is nothing I can take away, or promise to give that changes that. Of course there are certain times where they are capable of getting along, but 24 hours crammed in the back of a minivan wouldn't be one of them. I don't do well with long car rides, I could never expect kids to be able to handle them any better.
The amount of money I would have to pay to fly would totally be worth not sitting in a car that long with them

OP, I don't know what you can bring, but I know if it were me, I'd let my dses use their own personal electronic devices the entire time. Anything they can do by themselves instead of games or movies that have shared participation.
I'd also do frequent breaks to let them stretch and blow off some energy.
Good luck
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #26
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
In about two weeks we will be traveling from Detroit MI to Miami. I am starting to get super nervous!

The travel party is myself, DH, DS 4 1/2, and my DB, SIL and Dnephew 10 and Dniece 6. We will be driving down in my minivan which does have a built in DVD player. We are hoping to leave by 7pm on a Thursday and get to Miami by Friday night. Well, within a hour or so of Miami, we will be spending the night there and then getting on the Disney Wonder Saturday morning!!!

What really makes me nervous is the fact that my neice and nephew fight constantly! One of them is always bugging the other one. It drives both me and DH crazy. I think DB and SIL are just so used to it they don't really notice it anymore. It also effects DS, he either gets drawn into it or he get aggraveted also.

I have talked to both niece and nephew about it, about how its going to be a very long car ride in a very limited amount of space and that we all need to really work very hard to be good. I am going to put clips on the visor with all the kids names on it and if their clip is still up when we stop the can either get a gift from my goodie bag or a few dollars to get a treat. We have lots of movies that we want to watch and all my "goodies" are coloring types of stuff. I made sure to get everyone basically the same stuff.

I also plan on downloading some trivia apps on my phone so that Dnephew can quiz the grown ups.

What else can I do to help keep them busy and from getting into to each others hair?

DS and Dniece are going to have to ride in the way back the whole time. Dnephew will have to sit in the middle between the two little kids (which Dniece was already complaing about!) because of his long legs, at not quite 10 (2 months away!) he is already almost as tall as me!

SIL and I will take turns during the day sitting in the way back so nephew can sit in one of the captains chairs in the middle.

Luckly on the way home we will be able to spread the ride over two or three days!

Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Also, SIL just informed me that she may have to go to one of her graduate classes that night which would mean we wouldn't be leaving until 10pm! If that happens we really won't have any time for any kind of break, maybe an hour for breakfast and an hour for lunch but that would mean getting to Miami pretty late.
Swap seats around frequently so that the kids don't have to sit next to the same person the entire trip (and avoid keeping them all in the same row as much as possible). Since you are leaving at night, they will hopefully sleep for a good chunk of the first half.

I would also attempt to move my schedule around as much as possible to leave earlier in the day so that we could take longer & more frequent breaks....stopping at a playground or park fir an hour so the kids can run around will be well worthwhile, and I'd probably rather stop and stay over half way...the adults who are driving are going to be exhausted when you get to Miami and that's not going to make for a fun first day on the cruise for them.

And yes, enquiring minds want to know, where ARE you putting luggage for seven people in that minivan full of 7 passengers (we couldn't get luggage for 4 in ours with the 4 of us). Have you actually practiced loading all that stuff in to see how it's going to work? If not I suggest trying it now to cut down on one more stressor the day you are leaving...if you need to get a roof carrier or something, better to figure that out now than at the last minute.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #27
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

The OP is probably using a roof storage bag or hard case for all the luggage.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #28
ChitownFamily
Mouseketeer

What a journey?!

Something else to consider is your child in a booster or 5 point harness? The 5 point harness will be more comfy for a long trip & help keep him in the proper position for sleeping, just thought I'd throw it out there.
Have a great trip

Cruise March 2013 (RCI-LIberty of the Seas)
11/28/12-12/8/12 art of animation (Nemo)
Spring 04- offsite, Universal/IOA, Discovery, DW
Christmas-New Years 02-offsite (Been there, Done that!)
ChitownFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #29
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

A little different take on long car trips -- be very, very careful that no one drives who is getting tired. Take lots of coffee breaks and rest stops. Only let those drive who have had some rest.

A friend and her husband were driving with their four children from Atlanta to Denver for her mother's funeral. Her dh tried to drive straight through. Outside Denver he fell asleep at the wheel. Their van rolled and my friend is now paralyzed from the neck down.

After that happened to her, I've kind of decided that no matter how much airfare is, it's worth it because driving is just so dangerous.

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but this family's life was irreparably shattered in an instant because of this.

So, please be careful.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #30
Breezy_Carol
Who needs doors when you can use windows
Bugged by ticks
I had a dog that ate wood screws once

Quote:
In about two weeks we will be traveling from Detroit MI to Miami.
OP wrote this March 12. I am sure they are back by now. Curious how the trip went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletgirl View Post
Lots and lots of chocolate, my friend! Trader Joes has some awesome chocolate covered almonds that will surely do the trick.

Breezy_Carol is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: