Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
phillmolly
DIS Veteran

Help me Survive a 24 hour car trip!

In about two weeks we will be traveling from Detroit MI to Miami. I am starting to get super nervous!

The travel party is myself, DH, DS 4 1/2, and my DB, SIL and Dnephew 10 and Dniece 6. We will be driving down in my minivan which does have a built in DVD player. We are hoping to leave by 7pm on a Thursday and get to Miami by Friday night. Well, within a hour or so of Miami, we will be spending the night there and then getting on the Disney Wonder Saturday morning!!!

What really makes me nervous is the fact that my neice and nephew fight constantly! One of them is always bugging the other one. It drives both me and DH crazy. I think DB and SIL are just so used to it they don't really notice it anymore. It also effects DS, he either gets drawn into it or he get aggraveted also.

I have talked to both niece and nephew about it, about how its going to be a very long car ride in a very limited amount of space and that we all need to really work very hard to be good. I am going to put clips on the visor with all the kids names on it and if their clip is still up when we stop the can either get a gift from my goodie bag or a few dollars to get a treat. We have lots of movies that we want to watch and all my "goodies" are coloring types of stuff. I made sure to get everyone basically the same stuff.

I also plan on downloading some trivia apps on my phone so that Dnephew can quiz the grown ups.

What else can I do to help keep them busy and from getting into to each others hair?

DS and Dniece are going to have to ride in the way back the whole time. Dnephew will have to sit in the middle between the two little kids (which Dniece was already complaing about!) because of his long legs, at not quite 10 (2 months away!) he is already almost as tall as me!

SIL and I will take turns during the day sitting in the way back so nephew can sit in one of the captains chairs in the middle.

Luckly on the way home we will be able to spread the ride over two or three days!

Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Also, SIL just informed me that she may have to go to one of her graduate classes that night which would mean we wouldn't be leaving until 10pm! If that happens we really won't have any time for any kind of break, maybe an hour for breakfast and an hour for lunch but that would mean getting to Miami pretty late.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Doodle boards, and put the fighters in different rows on different sides of the van do they can't reach each other.
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
disneyfans95
DIS Veteran

Sorry but 24 hour trip is not that big of a deal.. You are not the first family going from MI to Florida..

You got dvd's, sure you know enough to give them whatever handheld stuff, books, etc..

Just roll with it...

Nobody has a magic pill to make it simple.
disneyfans95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

Lots of Xanax!
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Uncle Remus
Raconteur
can't name 'em Jeb, George, and Barbara, these are GOOD dogs!

Roof rack?

Uncle Remus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
ohiomom28
DIS Veteran

Just things too keep them busy. That is a lot of people to be in a minivan. Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using DISBoards
Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
Monte Cristo
I hear their eyes are everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy03231 View Post
Lots of Xanax!
You stole the words right out of my mouth...
Old 03-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillmolly View Post
In about two weeks we will be traveling from Detroit MI to Miami. I am starting to get super nervous!

The travel party is myself, DH, DS 4 1/2, and my DB, SIL and Dnephew 10 and Dniece 6. We will be driving down in my minivan which does have a built in DVD player. We are hoping to leave by 7pm on a Thursday and get to Miami by Friday night. Well, within a hour or so of Miami, we will be spending the night there and then getting on the Disney Wonder Saturday morning!!!

What really makes me nervous is the fact that my neice and nephew fight constantly! One of them is always bugging the other one. It drives both me and DH crazy. I think DB and SIL are just so used to it they don't really notice it anymore. It also effects DS, he either gets drawn into it or he get aggraveted also.

I have talked to both niece and nephew about it, about how its going to be a very long car ride in a very limited amount of space and that we all need to really work very hard to be good. I am going to put clips on the visor with all the kids names on it and if their clip is still up when we stop the can either get a gift from my goodie bag or a few dollars to get a treat. We have lots of movies that we want to watch and all my "goodies" are coloring types of stuff. I made sure to get everyone basically the same stuff.

I also plan on downloading some trivia apps on my phone so that Dnephew can quiz the grown ups.

What else can I do to help keep them busy and from getting into to each others hair?

DS and Dniece are going to have to ride in the way back the whole time. Dnephew will have to sit in the middle between the two little kids (which Dniece was already complaing about!) because of his long legs, at not quite 10 (2 months away!) he is already almost as tall as me!

SIL and I will take turns during the day sitting in the way back so nephew can sit in one of the captains chairs in the middle.

Luckly on the way home we will be able to spread the ride over two or three days!

Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Also, SIL just informed me that she may have to go to one of her graduate classes that night which would mean we wouldn't be leaving until 10pm! If that happens we really won't have any time for any kind of break, maybe an hour for breakfast and an hour for lunch but that would mean getting to Miami pretty late.
Leaving at 10 p.m. should help. They should sleep soon after getting on the road.

Let them get out and run and stretch their legs periodically. Bring a ball or something to kick and chase.

Download "car trip" games. Print out an on the road BINGO game, find the alphabet in road signs, sing to the radio, etc.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
Cruisin
If you can't carry it, you don't need it
I keep on posting to things just so I can look at my tags
I love my Captain Mickey antenna topper!

Something that keeps me busy on long trips is looking for different license plates.

You can make a grid sheet of all of the States and the Canadian Provinces and have the kids look out for as many different plates as they can.
Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

You are doing this willingly??? I think you are crazy. My limit in a car is 6 hours a day - otherwise "I" am the one whining. And that is with my DH and DD. If I had to do that with any of my sibs or DH's sibs and additional kids that fight constantly - my day limit would be far less than 6 hours.

My only advice is don't think you can parent your niece and nephew- it sounds like you don't think your brother and SIL don't necessarily keep their kids "in-check" from a behavior standpoint. It is a fine line on what you are able to do - even if the mom and dad refuse to.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #11
Debbie7452
DIS Veteran

The 10 year old might enjoy listening to an audio book. Have plenty of pairs of earbuds/headphones and possibly a splitter so 2 can share listening. My 14 year old uses a netbook to build minecraft world's(watch out for car sickness). Definitely bring liquid benedryl in case you are about to lose your mind.
Debbie7452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

2 words - duct tape
Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #13
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Earbuds for yourself?

Or think of this...

We know a family of 4 who did the drive straight through in 21 hrs from MA to WDW in one of these!

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
phillmolly
DIS Veteran

Thanks all, well most, for your helpful advice.

To be honest I am most worried for my self! I don't do well on long car rides and find it pretty much next to impossible to sleep in a car.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

Sounds like they are getting sick...
Might need a couple doses of Nyquil.......

Am sure if you give them a couple doses, it will stall off the sickness...

and make for a much better trip....

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: