Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
ptefabulous
Earning My Ears

HELP! AKL pool view worth it?

So I've been researching resorts for weeks and pretty much had my mind set that AKL was the way to go. But I can only afford the pool view, and considering that we are a young couple I'm planning on being at the parks most of the day, so I don't know if the extra $1000 is worth it just to enjoy for an hour at night and in the AM for breakfast.

The other hotel I was considering is the Coronado springs. The rooms look clean and not as childish as some other resorts. I rules out POR just because I don't like the look of the buildings (for some reason it reminds me of military barracks). We will be renting a car so the size of the resort should not be an issue since from what I can tell there is parking by the rooms.

Anyway, I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice. DB has never stayed at a disney resort before, so I really wanted to take him to a hotel with a nice theme
ptefabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

for $1,000 no

that say - AKL has windows (big one) all over the place - so the view is less important here.

also you have a higher than average chance of being upgraded here.

you might also look a renting a reservation from a DVC member or broker.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
CoolPool
DIS Veteran

"I don't know if the extra $1000 is worth it just to enjoy for an hour at night and in the AM for breakfast."

Whenever people are very specific about the extra cost and that they will be at the parks all day anyway, I would recommend the cheaper option.
CoolPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

you might enjoy Pop if you are trying to save money.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Disney38Girl
Duffy's #1 Fan

As one half of a young couple myself, I would say go for the cheaper option if the parks are your main focus. For example, we stayed at POP this January, and we were in the room for just sleeping basically. Would stay there again in a heartbeat. That said, we have another trip planned in August, but this time we're planning on a more smell-the-roses type of vacation, so we decided on Yacht Club for location and the deluxe atmosphere. Whatever you choose, have a great time OP!
AKV Jambo Sept 2014
CR May 2015
Disney38Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Diz Kids
Mouseketeer

AKL is a beautiful resort, but I agree with PP. if you aren't planning in much resort time you should save the money. CSR is a very nice resort and a nice alternative for you.

Edit to add- you could also consider the standard view room at AKL to save some $ and still get to experience the resort.

Diz Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
jacesmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diz Kids
AKL is a beautiful resort, but I agree with PP. if you aren't planning in much resort time you should save the money. CSR is a very nice resort and a nice alternative for you.

Edit to add- you could also consider the standard view room at AKL to save some $ and still get to experience the resort.
I agree. And unless you like a dark, obviously lodge type room, that could be disappointing too. Dont get me wrong, AKL is a very cool resort but think its appeal is only for a select group of people.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Pool view at AKL is one of my favorite room locations. But if I was only planning to spend an hour in the morning and in the evening at the resort, I'd save the $1000 (woa!) and stay at CSR!! CSR is beautiful! Try to make some time to swim or hot tub a few times, have a drink in the lounge or at the bar outside!
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We enjoyed the AKL pool view, but I agree with the others, if you are on a tight budget I'd stay at a moderate. CSR seems to appeal to many. It's a personal pref, mine is POR Mansion section
If it were me, I'd save $ and not rent a car, and use WDW transportation.
Be sure you watch for WDW discounts on rooms.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

OP, consider the room price is at the level it is because people are willing to pay the price. Its worth it. For Disney it's worth it, since people pay the rate.

Now this does not mean the Resort or room is for everyone. There are lots of different resorts and various levels of budgets. If you think the room is too much, then move on to another one that may fit your overall needs, expectations and comfort level. If you are not willing to pay the price for a view then you need to ask yourself are you OK with a view of the front entrance, parking lots, service area, roof or trees? That often defines a standard view. Looking out the window is only aspect of a view. The other may include an individuals expectations. How it makes you feel or think. Sometimes this translates for some to be part of the magic. We reserved the Savanna view to make it special for the kids and since it is a unique view option not found at other resorts at Disney or outside of WDW.

Overall, if you are not feeling it. Then you may want to look at other options. Saying $1000 is a lot to save you can use this logic to take you down to the bottom room tier at a Disney value and then right off of Disney property. Somewhere along the line you should find the place that fits what you feel comfortable with reserving for your trip. Good luck with your decision.

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
ptefabulous
Earning My Ears

Booked!!!

Hey! Thanks for all of your help! This trip is a surprise Birthday present for DB and it's hard making all the decisions myself.

I decided to splurge and get the pool view room at AKL with DDP. We'll be getting a car since I know DB is going to want to go to Kennedy Space station one day, and I think for that night we'll spend some time around the hotel in the evening so the stay at AKL will be worth it!

I'm super excited! I'm rationalizing the cost by using it as a celebration of DB's Birthday, finishing my third year of medical school, and early 6 year anniversary present! Lol!
ptefabulous is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: