Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #61
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I can see where a 15 month old wouldn't totally appreciate the show.

My "how old is that child" meter has never worked very well, so I can't say if he was a year or 1.5 years (probably not 2, though), but there was a little dude sitting next to me who quite literally went through the entire gamut of human emotion during the show. It was amazing to watch; he kept pulling my attention away from the show. It was pretty great, though, because just when you thought he was going to truly start crying, something else would catch his eye and he'd crack up. Then he would get all serious, etc. He was adorable, too.

After the show I realized that he and his mom had somehow gotten separated from their family, so heck, maybe he was watching and reacting to the back of his dad's head or something, LOL.

OK, to bed with me. Long day with learning work and Legos and everyone being crabby and no classes at the Y and then I had to make my Chinese herbs 'n roots tea to try to get my repro system wake up and take notice and THEN after I got more than halfway through that very smelly process (WHY are Chinese herbs 'n roots so nasty in teas?) I realized I'd made the wrong tea and I had to start over. (1 hour just soaking the herbs, then boil and then merely simmer for 20 minutes, strain, new water, boil then merely simmer for 20 minutes, mix) Kept me up way later than I had intended, but I'm trying to commit to this new regime before my clock runs out! And then of course Robert had Craig Ferguson on, who is always good for a few laughs, blah blah blah.

Good night!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #62
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Feb 15, continued. Still at Animal Kingdom.

After the show, there was exploring. E had previously done part of the Discovery Club (or whatever it's called) activity where kids go to various stations, do a little activity, and get a stamp on a card. We wanted to finish up his card, but I had of course forgotten his old ones, so he just did the whole thing again.

Figuring out what items were inside a hollow "log".

Birds that loiter outside food stands (in this case a turkey leg stand) hoping for handouts.

Putting dinosaur jawbones together with skulls.

Believe it or not, this day we got E on Dinosaur. Which meant that I got to finally go on Dinosaur. Gotta tell you, it's funny to see Phylicia Rashad and Wallace Langham in that context. E was definitely spooked, but I thought the ride was more interesting (to look around) than scary.

Ah yes, he wore earplugs for it.

We rode the Safari, the guys went into the animal trail in order to do the activity there (for some reason I decided to just stay out and stand in the breezy sunshine instead of going on in...I thought they would rush in, do it, rush out, but they took their time). We did Expedition Everest once or twice.

I have NO real idea of how the day linked together, so these are little tidbits.

We wanted to get EE FPs, but were over in the Dino area (I think after Dinosaur and some playing around and window shopping). And we had our Tusker House reservation very very soon, which was going to require rushing. I said that I would get the EE FPs for after lunch and they could go on and sign us in. I thought they would go "under" the tree, but I suppose they crossed over the second bridge so they nearly took the same path I did. Either way, on our respective ways to Tusker House, we both saw Devine.

These were taken by Robert just moments before I came along the path. My pictures of her are terrible.

We met back up in line to check in for TH. Since I didn't know they had taken that other path, had forgotten that Robert was moving slow, and didn't know they had spent the time to get pix of and with Devine, they were nowhere near the front, and we had a bit of a wait. When we got to the podium there was confusion, when we got in back near the picture with Donald there was confusion. I don't know what their confusion was all about, but it was annoying. Eventually we got our little ticket for the pictures and after that we were taken in.

Lunch was, of course, as usual, and as always, absolutely fabulous. I tried to restrain myself but went back for seconds. So dang good there. Eamon got more adventurous and tried the pearl couscous and a couple other things along with his gigantic plate of mac&cheese (which was very tasty).

And of course there were characters.

They made me "get in the photo!" (as the 2005 planning video leisure-guy would say).

There was a kid-parade (watch out, E, there's a wild cat right behind you!).

Who says kids can't find magic and fun even after they KNOW about characters? (E noticed zippers up the back when he was something like 3, and yet Mickey always gets an unrestrained hug).

Good gravy he's almost as tall as Mickey's "friend".

I was hoping I had some pix of food, but nope. So good. We spent a nice long time there, ate just what we wanted to eat, had some coffee....it was all very good. I think that next time we might not do the lunchtime lunch (our ADR was scheduled for 12:25 but I think we got in line at 12:30, got to the podium probably 10, 15 minutes after that, and didn't get seated until at least 10 minutes after THAT), but instead do the late breakfast/early lunch seating time that might allow us a bit of breakfast food before they bring out the lunch stuff.

After that there was Expedition Everest to ride. We *just barely* made it. I don't remember if it was just lunch that got in the way or if there was enough time before that FP that we had other things to do, but we skated in by seconds. I even had to have people move aside...those people were standing outside the FP return line, waiting for their return time, of course. Whew! I'm really not into this whole strict return time nonsense. But that's a rant for another day.

Robert took some pictures...

Birds settling in for the later afternoon. I had to bump the contrast almost all the way and bring the brightness way up so you could see them. For some reason pictures of them, at the time that they start roosting, come out REALLY dark.

Real tree? Fake tree? Cellphone tower? A mystery.

We love Primeval Whirl and even waited in standby for it.

I'm going to end this post with this story, but then post more pictures in the next post to take our thoughts off of it.

We had gone all through the Discovery activities except for Rafiki's planet watch. We've been out there before, and I remembered that he did an activity but didn't get a stamp. So we wanted to do the activity. We went to the train station and got in line.

Now I'll be really up front with you and state that I didn't look at...didn't even pick up...a Times Guide for this day. If I had, things might have been different. Then again, I'm not sure I should HAVE TO scour such a thing to get info on when something closes; I feel that CMs at the entrance should be telling us such things.

We got in line at something like 4:15. The line was out the building, though a train left and then we all got inside pretty quickly. And set in to wait. And then the announcements started. Incomprehensible announcements, except for bits and pieces that sort of sounded like they were saying the area we were going to closed AT FIVE.

All through line, every time the guy got on the PA (or someone pushed a button for the recording) people around us were trying to figure out what he was saying. I normally can't hear that kind of stuff, and was glad that I wasn't the only one struggling. A train came in, offloaded, onloaded, and left, and it was something like 4:55 and we were just towards the front, not quite let onto the platform, and we were still trying to comprehend why we were being sent to a place that was closing before we would even get there. There was a mutiny stirring, and it was not just with us.

Every time we tried to ask CMs, they didn't make ANY sense with their replies. I was not the only one that thought this. They seemed to focus on the concept that no one would be left behind, that the train would run until everyone was gone. They REFUSED to focus on the question of why were we being put on a train to go to an attraction that would be closed before we got there. Their answers never addressed that.

We were let onto the platform and we just refused. We left. We had just wasted, truly and completely WASTED, almost an hour of our day, the last "we know this day is being spent at a theme park because we are HERE" day, for something we wouldn't get to enjoy. It made no sense.

We were the only ones that left. Guess the other people who were grumbling all along the line wanted to bet on it. I hope they had a nice time. I hope there was just a mass misunderstanding of the essential question and how to answer it correctly, and that they got to visit the area. I hope it wasn't just a line to take a train ride to stand in line to take a train ride.

On the way out we ran into a CM. We stopped him. And tried to get answers. And got no answers. At the end of it I just asked if he could take other CMs into the line one day and try to actually HEAR what the CM on the PA is saying. That no one could hear it. And that if an attraction is closing, maybe have the CM at the very outside tell people about it? Don't just assume that everyone has memorized the Times Guide, or even picked one up.

We were VERY frustrated.

The CM at the very front of the line, at the entrance to the area? She was still letting people in.

I think our brains went black for a bit because I really don't know what we did for a little bit after that. If you're a Harry Potter reader...the wrackspurts got us.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 03-29-2013 at 11:45 PM. Reason: wow was photobucket fighting me there
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #63
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I'm in a time crunch for classes at the Y, but I can't just leave it like that.

We love the dinoland area, it does something happy for us. AK, don't change!

OK gotta go.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #64
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

More pictures.

After the whole Rafiki's train debacle (and probably while all the others go actually got on the train had a lovely time full of pixie dust and cheer while we grumped along), we huffed and puffed and finally stopped. After all we had some more time left at the park.

We decided to go on to the Boneyard playground area, because that was something E really wanted to do. E and I got stopped at this exhibit while Robert continued walking because he wanted to get there and SIT (his leg was hurting). If I recall correctly, the CMs were exhibiting Vietnamese (I think that's the country) toy-making, using leaves and weaving them together. It was like magic, watching them make these things. At the end, the CM gave what she had just made to a girl up front, and then got a previously-made one out to give to E. That was lovely.

His bird. Note that it's on a long stem, which allows you to fly it around. It dried out, but otherwise last for days.

We went on to the play area, where E ran off and Robert and I sat. Ahhhhhh. Sitting. So nice. Hmm, those kids are up awfully high. What are they doing? OK those kids are up on a BIG rock, and are actually touching the netting that goes over the play area. Surely that's not OK? No one's saying to get down...well yeah, no one is watching them. The CM at the entrance/exit area is distracted by the people coming in, another CM is talking to someone...no one sees them. Are there signs? I walked over to see...no signs. But that's just NOT safe. on my way to the talking CM and she looks past me, walks briskly towards me, I say "oh good you've got it", and she makes CERTAIN that those kids knew that they were NOT supposed to be up there. Whew! 3 brain injuries averted for the moment.

Meanwhile...where's our kid? Hmm. Haven't seen him for a little too long for my comfort. Hmm.

Robert was hurting so he stayed in the same basic area, looking up, as you do in that playground, wondering if you actually will be able to recognize The Underside of Your Child. I went up and started looking around.

And there I discovered the up-in-the-sky pathway to the Boneyard. The real one, where you sit in the coarse sand and uncover dinosaurs. Which is up and over/across the path below, and into a totally different area.

I decided to just watch E for a bit from up top, to see if he understood that he had gone somewhere we didn't know about, if he felt guilty or bad or lonely.... Yeah, no, he didn't. He was just playing. He didn't know. Probably didn't even know the rope bridge had gone over the sidewalk or that he was in a different area. Just didn't realize. He was being his usual social self, playing with kids!

I waited a little while then got his attention, and he came with me willingly.

I truly see nothing wrong or tacky about this place. I love it.

He had sand in his shoes.

I am not sure how his shoe is balancing on the bench like that....

Ahhhh! Watch out dinosaur!

E insisted I take these pictures.

Please note the tiny dino under him.

with flash...

Vegetarians take note! Alas I was too full to partake in a summer roll. Sad.

We ended on a good note. Up next.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 03-30-2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: bonyard? seriously? what is wrong with me today?
Old 03-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #65
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I love everything I see about AK. Sigh someday.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #66
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Early on in the day, we had gotten a phone message from Saratoga Springs saying that we needed to come back and "get the rest of your keys to the world". Uh, what? Well whatever, we're here and we can deal with that later.

Some hours after that we got a text with our room number.

On the way in to meet Robert at the play area, I talked to a CM really quick who was manning a meet&greet area. The sign said something like Tigger Pooh Eeyore, and I asked if they were separate or together. She said that they are all generally there, and I made a note of the ending time. She said that *sometimes* they stay later, so to be sure to check. I was glad, because Eeyore is right up there with Hook for Robert (he has an Eeyore plush sitting in the living room), and he was really bummed out because of his leg.

On the way out we passed by the area again, and although it was beyond the end-time, there was a CM at the entrance. I asked if they were still open, and the answer was yes. I dragged the guys in...

And they were all there. And we were basically all alone with them. I chatted with CMs while the guys had tons of fun with the characters. Then they dragged me in for a pic.

This put Robert in such a good mood, and I was glad I insisted on walking down the path to get there. On that high note Robert asked to take bunches of nighttime Photopass photos, which basically look like the same people you see above, in front of the tree of life and in front of the park.

And so we headed to SSR, to the weirdness that awaited us there.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 03-30-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #67
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I love everything I see about AK. Sigh someday.
Yes, someday! You'll make it there, I know you will.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #68
kaoden39
Hugs

Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #69
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

Looks and sounds like a fun, busy visit. It's so nice to see you with Goofy and E at Tusker House
Old 04-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #70
pktbMouse
What you dont know is that each Mickey mouse hat you buy is a mind controlling device..this is how they get families to overspend on food and souvenirs!

loving your trip report so far

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #71
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

THAT is a great family picture..3 characters at once? good one...
Old 04-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #72
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Sorry for the lack of updates!

I've been feeling super-scattered, where it's easier to just spend the day helping E with his homeschool and straightening and answering umpteen random, but QUICK, questions on the interwebz (ha)...vs thinking and putting things in order and posting here.

Then just as I was gearing up for it, I messed up during my run on Tuesday, didn't bring my cereal, and that morning/early afternoon managed to have 4 "servings" of caffeine...everything culminated in wooziness I shrugged off at the Y.

Spoiler alert: I'm OK. This doesn't go anywhere scary! Painful, but not SCARY.

E and I got home, I asked Robert to make simple dinner, went to shower and run the hot water on my muscles which hurt (b/c the other mistake I had made was I increased the length of my run by half a mile, instead of going slower and easier).

I was stretching low to the floor, and thank goodness, because I straightened up, thought "ooooh, dizzy"....then there's nothing, then I vaguely heard "OW!", then there's a short blank and I realized I was rubbing my head and that my head hurt, then there's a blank and I realized I was sitting up, still in the shower. I had fainted, fallen back (thank goodness I was low to the ground), and hit my head probably on the faucet.

Thank goodness there was no blood, no breaking, nothing like that. Though it is ALWAYS disconcerting to lose a bit of memory like that.

So I thought that was that; messed up, will fuel my workouts and not be stupid, and it was a full day later that I realized the caffeine thing meant I was probably ALSO dehydrated even though I drank my normal (copious amounts) of water that day.

But then I didn't feel OK to really do my workout on Wednesday, just felt off.

Wed evening I realized my shoulders bones hurt, the ones towards the back of the shoulders, when I touched them. No bruises, but felt like they were bruised. That's when I realized I must have ALSO hit there in the shower. Still can't figure out how I didn't break anything if I hit there, too.

And then by the very very end of Wednesday (we are night owls) I was hurting hurting hurting. Low back, sacrum and lumbars, oh so hurty. Chiro isn't in on Thursday, and I couldn't imagine how I could have an acupuncture session since I can't lie down on my belly (can't even get into that position), and no other position is comfy for more than 5 minutes. I realize now, at the end of Thursday, that I should have just gone in, but I wasn't thinking.

As I think about it, since I fell back and then, while still actually unconscious, sat back up quickly, I could have done damage in both directions. Just like the problem of whiplash isn't in when your head goes back but when it flops forcefully forward, I probably hurt myself in many ways when I went back up and forward without actually being in conscious control of my body.

Tomorrow, unless my chiro is closed for some reason (he's doing this motivational speaking sort of thing, and his wife is closing in on the end of her pregnancy), I will see him and be reassured that it's just a chiropractic type of injury and not something I'll have to think about MRIs for (claustrophobic!). And I'll see the acupuncturist soon and I'll probably be all better very soon.

But for now, this has been the longest I've typed without moving position over the day, and I'm due to move soon and maybe go take an aspirin or something, but in all honesty I wish I could just stay here because getting up and down, and lying down and getting back up, and moving from lying on one side to lying on the other (and let's not even TALK about lying on my back) just "bites", to use a silly term.

Note: it seems that hearing your wife or mother fall, say "ow", and then realize she doesn't know how she got there, is a bit disturbing. Sorry guys! I will fuel my workouts and not accidentally dehydrate myself again! I will eat *something* before I get in the shower, too! And I won't increase my runs by over 10% at a time! PROMISE!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #73
kaoden39
Hugs

Molly, I am so sorry. You need to take care of you.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #74
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Thanks Michele, I am.

Saw Docta Pablo today, and while initially there was new, weird, unusual, and increased pain, it's definitely getting better now. Definitely.

I'm definitely not working out today, or for another couple days, but I'm on the mend. Yay!

Especially after what you guys are going through with Scotty, I did NOT like the idea that I hit my head at all! I know that it's common to not remember what happened immediately after fainting, but it's the sort of in and out memory I have of those moments that I really dislike. Robert acted all medico-like, checking my pupils and whatnot... It's funny to see him like that, and it's so rare. Usually it's me checking everyone out, not him!

I had to go out to the credit union and banks to deal with rent because I ran out of checks, and while out I went to the store to get nail polish remover since my "manicure" from a couple days ago is chipping terribly and I was out. While there I found a nail color for 1.09 that is the EXACT match to my pants (the same pants I wore to Animal Kingdom in the pictures earlier). I had to buy it! I mean, I was wearing them today. And I'm washing this outfit and wearing it tomorrow, too, LOL. The color is just too good to not wear and be matchy with!

R's almost home and is taking E to aikido, and I think I'm going to rest and relax if I can lay down. Looking forward to it being even more quiet for an hour or so.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #75
kaoden39
Hugs

Molly, I hope you are feeling better!

Scotty had his first treatment for the vertigo and as I expected it isn't going to be that easy of a fix. He starts his other therapy later in the month. The neuro feels there isn't any major damage to Scotty's brain!! He has arthritis in his neck but you his chiropractor can take care of that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: