Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Staying at WDW night before cruise...is this doable, or not worth it?

Thinking of booking two rooms at WDW's Art of Animation resort the night before, and taking the ME after our flight arrives at 530pm.

I'd also wanted to book a reservation (the next morning) at 1900 Park Fare. (Haven't been to WDW in over 8 years. I read that the characters are Cinderella's stepsisters. Is that for dinner only, or is that breakfast too?)

Is that more trouble than it's worth, since we won't have a rental car? I realize we'd probably have to take a WDW bus to one of the parks, (or DTD) to catch a bus to 1900 Park Fare. Guess we couldn't take the DCL bus from The Grand Floridian to Port Canaveral after breakfast?

We usually stay at MCO Hyatt the night before, and check-in the next morning.

Also, I know that the DCL buses from the resorts usually don't arrive until 130ish? Check-in shouldn't be a problem by that time, right (as far as boarding group numbers and wait time?) Forgot to mention, we're sailing the Fantasy, and are now Platinum.

A lot of questions, I know. I'm just wanting a change of pace from the Hyatt.

Thanks!

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyhugger
Thinking of booking two rooms at WDW's Art of Animation resort the night before, and taking the ME after our flight arrives at 530pm.

I'd also wanted to book a reservation (the next morning) at 1900 Park Fare. (Haven't been to WDW in over 8 years. I read that the characters are Cinderella's stepsisters. Is that for dinner only, or is that breakfast too?)

Is that more trouble than it's worth, since we won't have a rental car? I realize we'd probably have to take a WDW bus to one of the parks, (or DTD) to catch a bus to 1900 Park Fare. Guess we couldn't take the DCL bus from The Grand Floridian to Port Canaveral after breakfast?

We usually stay at MCO Hyatt the night before, and check-in the next morning.

Also, I know that the DCL buses from the resorts usually don't arrive until 130ish? Check-in shouldn't be a problem by that time, right (as far as boarding group numbers and wait time?) Forgot to mention, we're sailing the Fantasy, and are now Platinum.

A lot of questions, I know. I'm just wanting a change of pace from the Hyatt.

Thanks!
You'll see the following Characters at breakfast:
1900 Park Fare Grand Floridian Breakfast: Mary Poppins, Mad Hatter, Alice, Pooh, Tigger

It would be easiest to take the bus to Magic Kingdom and then the Resort Monorail to Grand Floridian. To return, you'll need to reverse the order.
You cannot take luggage on any of the Park buses so your luggage will still be at AoA.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinkso View Post
You'll see the following Characters at breakfast:
1900 Park Fare Grand Floridian Breakfast: Mary Poppins, Mad Hatter, Alice, Pooh, Tigger

You cannot take luggage on any of the Park buses so your luggage will still be at AoA.
That was another question (I forgot.)

Do we have to set our luggage out by a certain time at the resort in which we're staying?

Another concern...how often do buses pick-up from AoA? We usually stayed at a monorail resort. It's a Saturday morning. Are the buses 'frequent?'

Old 03-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyhugger

Another concern...how often do buses pick-up from AoA? We usually stayed at a monorail resort. It's a Saturday morning. Are the buses 'frequent?'
The Park buses will begin running non-stop an hour before the Park opens. AoA buses do not share with any other resorts so they should be very frequent. Have you considered a one-way/one day car rental from MCO and drop it off in Cocoa Beach?
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyhugger View Post
That was another question (I forgot.)

Do we have to set our luggage out by a certain time at the resort in which we're staying?

Assuming you are taking the DCL bus, the pickup window we had was between 8 and 10am. You don't set the luggage out; they come into the room to get it, even if you're not there.

We got in to POR so late, and our checkin stuff was confused, so we didn't get written notice/info about our pickup time for the bus, so I only have my faulty memory to go by, but I *believe* we were supposed to be at the meeting spot at 11:15 or maybe 11:30.

I, personally, would not feel comfortable leaving "my" resort, especially not for a character meal, before DCL bus pickup.

But if I had to, I would forget the buses and take a taxi both ways.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all of the replies.

I think we're just going to stay at hotel close to the airport, and catch the DCL bus from there. Spoke to the family, and everyone wants to catch the earliest bus to the port.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: