Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
soozaay
2 excited 2 sleep

Recommendations for 10K training apps?

I'm a beginner runner and am just about to finish the Couch-2-5K program app. There's SO many running training apps out there, I'd like to hear your recommendations for 10K or 13.1 miles training apps.

I'm going to be doing the Princess Half in 2014, so, eventually I will be training for that, that's why I'm including it above.

I'm thinking of doing the Jeff Galloway program too...just don't know where to go from here, and I like having a prompt to walk/jog in my ear while I listen to music to motivate me, I don't have confidence in myself yet to run the right amount to better my distance. (if that makes any sense)

Thanks!

soozaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

I just finished the Jeff Galloway 5K app and I am planning to do the 10K one next. I really liked it! He gives you the prompts and also tips an motivation. Your music can be synced by beats per minute depending on how fast you're going.
keahgirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

I started run/walk/run last june.

I did not have a smart phone at the time so I just had the ipod for my music. I used a timer called the Gymboss that you can set for your intervals that beeps, beeps and vibrates or just vibrates. You can find the timer on amazon dot com. I just clipped it on my waistband and away I went.

I also do the Galloway. I was fortunate enough to actually get some one on one coaching from Jeff (worth every penny). I started at a run 15 sec walk 45 sec ratio and by Tinker Bell I ran 30 sec walk 30 sec. I am now training for a half in april at 1min 1 min.

Jeff has any number of plans you can find on his website. Also he is the Rundisney coach so all the disney races have plans on the individual race webpage. You could take any of the half marathon plans and just do each week twice. That would get you ready for your 10K and keep you moving into your half training.

I also use a Nike+ training plan that has a ton more cross training stuff that Jeff does not include.

Great job on finishing the C25K. Do you have any races lined up before the Princess?
Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by soozaay View Post
I'm a beginner runner and am just about to finish the Couch-2-5K program app. There's SO many running training apps out there, I'd like to hear your recommendations for 10K or 13.1 miles training apps.

I'm going to be doing the Princess Half in 2014, so, eventually I will be training for that, that's why I'm including it above.

I'm thinking of doing the Jeff Galloway program too...just don't know where to go from here, and I like having a prompt to walk/jog in my ear while I listen to music to motivate me, I don't have confidence in myself yet to run the right amount to better my distance. (if that makes any sense)

Thanks!
If you've already completed Couch to 5K, there's a Bridge to 10K app. I've downloaded it but haven't quite gotten to the "bridge" yet.

RunKeeper also comes with several training programs, or you can customize your own. I run/walk and like having the ability to set my own intervals.

Good luck with your training! It sounds like you're already rocking it.

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Elleshoodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

I don't know much about the Galloway program because I have always been a runner but I can tell you a little bit of my experience. I started running five years ago. I have always exercised but never ran. Luckily I had a great motivator, my brother who was an avid runner. My first race was a 5k and I ran a short distance on Tuesday and Thursday and a longer run on Saturdays. So I would do a mile, a mile and on Sat 1.5. Then next week 1 mile, 1 mile and Sat 2 miles. Till I worked up to a 5k. At least one other day a week I will do some light weight lifting to build my muscle and core. Long story short I have two marathons and twelve halves, triathlons and short races under my belt. When you sign up for the Disney race their is a training schedule you can download from their site. They even ask if you are a beginner or experienced to give you the best schedule based on your level. Please join us on the Events/Competition board! There are so many different levels there and the people are very helpful. Good luck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: