Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Well, if nothing else this thread has proven that some things don't change.

As for my 14-year-old self the only thing that stands out in my mind was that I qualified for the 'accelerated' program in school and my mother didn't let me participate. I think she was afraid I'd be labeled a 'nerd' and ostracized. Well, that ship had already sailed and reached its destination years ago. Ironically, I would probably have fared better socially had I been placed with like-minded students.

As for my own kids, I make decisions regarding their education but let them pursue their own extracurricular interests. I do insist that they participate in some sort of extracurricular activity. It doesn't necessarily have to be a sport, but they need to be involved in something.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

My 14 year old self was pretty down-to-earth. I knew I wanted to go to college and I had a short list of where. I knew that I wanted to try as many things as possible and to not tie myself down to one area of study or career (in that respect I haven't changed, I still don't know what I want to be at 33). I knew that I'd like to play a sport or two, but only individual sports (no teams). I knew the guy I'd likely end up dating throughout high school, and I knew that he wasn't a guy I'd ever marry. I knew better than to do anything to screw up my future.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza (coming Nov/Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrHawk View Post
I knew that I wanted to try as many things as possible and to not tie myself down to one area of study or career (in that respect I haven't changed, I still don't know what I want to be at 33).
I feel better now being 25 and the exact same! I just moved across the country and am starting a new career.

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #19
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimR View Post
Well, if nothing else this thread has proven that some things don't change.

As for my 14-year-old self the only thing that stands out in my mind was that I qualified for the 'accelerated' program in school and my mother didn't let me participate. I think she was afraid I'd be labeled a 'nerd' and ostracized. Well, that ship had already sailed and reached its destination years ago. Ironically, I would probably have fared better socially had I been placed with like-minded students.

As for my own kids, I make decisions regarding their education but let them pursue their own extracurricular interests. I do insist that they participate in some sort of extracurricular activity. It doesn't necessarily have to be a sport, but they need to be involved in something.
Wow they sure don't do they
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Nope pretty stupid at 14. AND just to make sure it was stupid I kept it up for another few more years.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

The only thing I remember from when I was 14 was that I was sure I knew who I was going the marry - the 16-y.o. brother of one of my friends. We did date, but it was kind of "using" each other; he knew I would go out on short notice, and going out with a senior was great for my sophomore street cred. But I knew I wanted to marry him, even though I later became engaged to someone else who professed to "adore" me.

Apparently my 14-y.o. self was wise beyond her years, as I did end up marrying my friend's brother, having two children with him, traveling the world with him, and still living a happy life with him almost 52 years later.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I was pretty dumb at 14. I wouldn't listen to anything 14 year old me wanted to do.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #23
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

I was 14 back in the dark ages, so I was incredibly un-knowing about life beyond my home and school (and even some life within school, lol). However, I made a few decisions between 14 and 18 based on gut instinct, and they worked out well for me.

My dd at 14 has a much broader understanding of the world, and so can participate in the questions that you ask.

- where will you go to school?
- will you get good grades?
- will you play sports?
- will you have a supportive base of friends?
- will you date?

All of the above are questions that she should have input in. Grades, friends, sports, dating are all things that are up to the child, with parental guidance. School isn't always a choice, but my dd has had input to the extent there are choices available.

Your case, Dana, of being told to choose a sport and making a team, does not happen in larger, competitive school districts. By 9th grade, you might be able to join a team, but you have to have an amazing amount of unknown athleticism to be able to continue on with most sports. There are kids that have been in training since 4 or 5. I know of parents that pay for private schools just so their kid can play sports because they would not make a team in a large school.
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #24
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutter View Post
Your case, Dana, of being told to choose a sport and making a team, does not happen in larger, competitive school districts. By 9th grade, you might be able to join a team, but you have to have an amazing amount of unknown athleticism to be able to continue on with most sports. There are kids that have been in training since 4 or 5. I know of parents that pay for private schools just so their kid can play sports because they would not make a team in a large school.
That's true where I live too, unless you pick a relatively obscure sport. E.g., I was a walkon for the fencing team as a junior and made captain as a senior. If it had been, say, field hockey or basketball, I wouldn't have even had a shot at JV as a walkon.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #25
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Yes, actually. Where I planned to go to college when I was 14 is where I am today.... go tigers!

I don't know how I obtained this perfectionist quality, but all throughout school, I strived to do my absolute best. There was never any need for my parents to punish me over grades because they were rarely bad, and when they were, no one could be more disappointed in me than myself.

- will you play sports?
When I was 14, I was in the marching band and knew that I would do that throughout high school. I don't know whether or not I thought I would do it in college.

I had very good friends when I was 14. That same group stuck with me throughout high school. However, after we graduated, we for the most part grew apart. I occasionally meet up with two of those friends, but ironically, the girl who had been my best friend since first grade and I grew apart. We were so similar all throughout k12 in our ambitions (she was valedictorian, I was salutatorian), but personality wise, we became very different.

- will you date?
I didn't date when I was 14, but I did have a huge crush on a boy three years older than me. It sounds ridiculous, and it was kind of back then, but I actually know that he liked me back. I was very disappointed when he didn't ask me to his senior prom (when I was a freshman). I swore I was going to marry him. We never even dated.... I think we could have dated years later, but by that time, I had moved on.

The guy I am with today and plan to marry is actually someone I despised at 14. I found him annoying and obnoxious. He's still annoying, but now I love him.
LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #26
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

I didn't really think to answer the specific questions, earlier

In high school I had little choice. Barring a nice boarding school, I would have picked the high school I went to anyway though. I DID push to go away as an exchange student my sophomore year and that was one of the best things I ever did in my life. So, yes, I think I knew what was good for me there.

I liked the options I ended up with for college and I did end up changing after one semester when I was unhappy with the academics of my first school--but I got something out of the process and do not feel it was a bad thing. My parents had no input at all in where I applied or went.

School was easy for me and I was naturally a perfectionist. My mom sometimes commented that she didn't know how I did it but that was about the extent of parental involvement there. I did well enough to earn an academic scholarship for half my tuition that I kept for all 4 years of college without any pushing from my family at all.

- will you play sports?
No one pushed me to play sports, thank goodness, because that would have made me MISERABLE. I was very Klutzy and self conscious about it and miserable enough in required gym classes--adding to that misery would have been awful for me.
I did stay in good shape (roller blading, skiing, biking--all my choice) and kept busy with things like being a techie in the theatre (again, my choice) and working part time from age 16 on at two jobs (again, my choice).

I would have thought it was really, really creepy had my parents tried to involve themselves in my friendships as a teen. I did jsut fine on my own, thankyouverymuch.

- will you date?

There were never any dating rules. I did not have my first date until I was a few months shy of 17--though I had prior opportunities. I just wasn't ready. All 5 guys I dated over the years seemed like "good guys" to pretty much all the adults, so I doubt my parents would have known to steer me away from either of the losers had they wanted to steer me away from such people. I was smart enough to say no to the first 5 6 guys who proposed to me (2 I never dated, WHT?) and even smarter to say yes to the 7th. Until I said yes, my parents did not know a thing about any of that. Not their business.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #27
violetrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutter View Post
I was 14 back in the dark ages, so I was incredibly un-knowing about life beyond my home and school (and even some life within school, lol). However, I made a few decisions between 14 and 18 based on gut instinct, and they worked out well for me.

My dd at 14 has a much broader understanding of the world, and so can participate in the questions that you ask.

- will you play sports?
- will you date?

All of the above are questions that she should have input in. Grades, friends, sports, dating are all things that are up to the child, with parental guidance. School isn't always a choice, but my dd has had input to the extent there are choices available.
This says it best for me. My children have had a lot more opportunity that I was afforded back in 1974 when I was 14. They also have had a lot more choices. We have always supported their choices as long as they weren't doing something we thought were going to harm them or influence them into illegal activity. There was a few years where our youngest son thought he wanted to become a professional skateboard rider when he graduated high school. We worried a bit but in the end he decided he was going to go the academic route. He leaves for Wake Forest in the fall. Our daugher knew she wanted to go to Cornell since she was about 8, she graduates in May. My middle son chose to follow in his father's footsteps and become an auto mechanic. Turns out while English and Math are not his forte, working with his hands is. They were all encouraged to play any and all sports but we had no real input on which one they played.

My parents raised me and my sisters with the same gentle guidance, even though the choices were more limited. I'm sure I gave my parents a gray hair or two over the years but gut instinct with a little shove here and there from the parents seemed to serve me well.

violetrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #28
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Wow, I'm amazed how focused many of you were at 14!! The only thing I thought about (besides my forbidden boyfriend) was clothes I was going to wear, which friends to eat with at lunch time, how to talk my mom into driving me to the mall, and which friend I wanted to ask for a sleep-over over the weekend. All my friends were the same. I was a teen in the 70s, growing up in California, maybe our age differences explain some of it.

I've had a satisfying career for the last 20 years, and have worked since I was 17....most of my friends that I still have contact with, have been successful too. I was still a "kid' at 14, with no thought of marrying, much less the genetics of a potential husband. Seems like "Kids" are getting older at a much younger age (if that makes any sense)

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #29
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

14 year old me was rather clueless and irresponsible. I was still rather immature with no idea what I wanted to do beyond something in ICT. All I knew was I couldn't wait to get out of secondary school!

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #30
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetrose View Post
There was a few years where our youngest son thought he wanted to become a professional skateboard rider when he graduated high school. We worried a bit but in the end he decided he was going to go the academic route.
My son wanted to do Parkour professionally. I told him I'd support him, but it was more than just "stunts", he had to be physically in shape. I told him after he trained running 2 miles a day for two weeks, I would enroll him in a class. It lasted.....ummmmmmm, 2 days.

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: