Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #46
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
The Moose neck pillow, is it shaped like one you would use on an airplane?
It sure is! People comment on it every time I use it on an airplane.

Side note: We also bought a black bear neck pillow.

Last edited by EeyoreIsMyName; 04-28-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: added comment
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #47
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politzania View Post

I'll second the Christmas in Alaska store as a good place for souvenirs - we picked up a couple of ornaments.
We loved the Christmas in Alaska store too!

The locally owned stores do have a sticker usually on their door or the front window of the store.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 01:40 AM   #48
Bunless
Mouseketeer

In Juneau, I have two favorite stores. They are across from each other.

Once you leave the ship, take a left and head up the street http://www.juneauartistsgallery.com/index.php
I have gotten several pieces of art jewelry there, pieces that I am always complemented on.

Across from them, in the same building, is a funky independent gallery. I have a couple of pieces from there that I love.

December '06 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
Fall '07 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1617056
February '08 Wilderness Lodge http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
January '09 Disneyland http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2075224
February/March '09 Grand Californian http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2134228
October 2009 Grand Californian, January 2010 Eastern Caribbean/Vero Beach, February 2011 Old Key West, October 2011 Food and Wine/Old Key West, February 2012 Aulani, July 2012 Alaska Cruise,
December 2012 Saratoga Springs, February 2013, Saratoga Springs, July 2013 Mediterranean Cruise
Bunless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #49
Politzania
Mouseketeer

Someone asked earlier in this thread about ID'ing local businesses - I found the shopping maps for all 3 ports from our 2011 trip and they have a list of some local businesses (who I'm sure, paid for the mention in the map!)

Skagway
Alaska Christmas Store - we shopped here and bought several ornaments!
Qiviut Boutique - don't think we stopped in here

Juneau
House of Russia - stopped in here to browse, but don't think we bought anything.
The Jewel Box - think we skipped this one

Ketchikan
Arctic Spirit Gallery - browsed
Julie's Fine Jewelry and Gifts - I think this is where a got a glass fireweed pendant
Nick Michael's Fine Gallery - doesn't sound familiar
Salmon Etc - picked up some smoked salmon here, I think
Scanlon Gallery - doesn't sound familiar either.

FYI - All 3 ports have Del Sol stores and both Ketchikan and Juneau have Cariloha stores - which seem just a bit out of place here!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #50
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politzania View Post

FYI - All 3 ports have Del Sol stores and both Ketchikan and Juneau have Cariloha stores - which seem just a bit out of place here!
But ya know, I love these two stores and will probably make sure I get to them in one of the ports. I always find something I just have to have. The sheets, made from bamboo, that we purchased from them a year or so ago are absolutely divine, and pricey as they are, I wouldn't mind having another set of them.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #51
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
But ya know, I love these two stores and will probably make sure I get to them in one of the ports. I always find something I just have to have. The sheets, made from bamboo, that we purchased from them a year or so ago are absolutely divine, and pricey as they are, I wouldn't mind having another set of them.
DD with Del Sol. SIL has bamboo towels, so I am very curious about the bamboo sheets. Might have to check those out. And the Christmas store

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #52
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisSarahK View Post
I bought a set of Disney themed Alaska matryoshka wood dolls (the nesting ones). They are so cute and I just love them. I'm not usually one for "dust catchers" but I really like these. I can see Mickey in his fisherman outfit (Deadliest Catch Mickey) sitting over on my bookcase right now and he makes me smile just seeing him over there.
hoping to see these, my daughter is Russian! Were they onboard?
Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #53
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31997 View Post
DD with Del Sol. SIL has bamboo towels, so I am very curious about the bamboo sheets. Might have to check those out. And the Christmas store
I wear bamboo yoga pants and they are divine. I completely switched all my lounge pants -- I have like 6 pairs lol.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:30 AM   #54
sasmmb
Mouseketeer

I have a trivet that I hung in our bedroom from Changing Tides in Juneau. This is a cool quilting and cross-stitch store that is upstairs in a building in downtown. It's a Barbara Lavallee artist rendition of 3 local women outdoors. I also bought a cross-stitch kit depicting a winter scene. Haven't gotten to it yet as I'm still working on the Disney Normal Rockwell Thanksgiving one. Here is the website for the store in Juneau http://www.alaskastitching.com/index.html
1974 - 1st trip - off site; Summer 76 - off site; Winter 76 - Golf Resort (now Shades of Green); 86, 88, 92 - off site; years blur together but AS Music, AS Sports, WL, DL, CBR, BW Villas, 1 night GF Concierge, Poly, YC, Swan, AS Sports, CBR (Dec 31, 1999), WL, AKL, CS, Poly, April 07 Swan, POFQ and Pop Century; Sept 07 FW Cabins; Oct 07 Dolphin ; Oct 08 off-site; Oct 09 BWV; Oct 10 SSR; Feb 11 GF; Nov 11 AKL/BWV; Jun 12 off-site; Nov 12 Pop Century; Nov 13 BWV; Feb 14 CBR and CS; May 14 OKW; Oct 14 Dolphin and BWV

DCL - Inaugural Alaska May 2011 (Wonder); West. Carrib. May 2012 (Fantasy); Eastbound Transatlantic May 2014 (Magic)

Married at the Disney Wedding Pavilion 1998
sasmmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #55
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasmmb View Post
I have a trivet that I hung in our bedroom from Changing Tides in Juneau. This is a cool quilting and cross-stitch store that is upstairs in a building in downtown. It's a Barbara Lavallee artist rendition of 3 local women outdoors. I also bought a cross-stitch kit depicting a winter scene. Haven't gotten to it yet as I'm still working on the Disney Normal Rockwell Thanksgiving one. Here is the website for the store in Juneau http://www.alaskastitching.com/index.html
I would enjoy checking out that store. I used to do a lot of needlework, mainly cross-stitch, but have not done any in years. Would love something small like an Alaskan-themed Christmas ornament to do that wouldn't be overwhelming to me.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #56
Ljbadfan
table #71

the christmas store in ketichakan is better then the one in skagway. the one in ketchikan is locally owned. the shop is right along the pier where the disney boat is located. my father spent like 300 dollars in that shop last year. my favorite gift i got was gloves off the cruise ship that has the cruise logo, and cities we stoped at. best part we were on last few cruises left and got them 50 % off
Old 04-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #57
Donut23
Long-Time Disney Fan

Hands down, the Golden Crystal earrings my DH bought for me at Julie's in downtown Ketchikan. Family owned, discounts for cruise guests, excellent taste and service like Disney used to be it it's Golden years!!
Donut23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #58
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Exclamation Information request for ruadisneyfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
I bought a little marble bear in Ketchikan at Alaska Stone Art. The tiny fish in his mouth is made of deer bone. After I got home I starting thinking I should've gotten one for my mom too. (They did excursions but not really much walking to shops due to lung problems.)
So I dug up my receipt and had another one shipped for $10 extra and gave it to her for her birthday in Nov. She got all teary knowing it was from Alaska.

I have a fridge magnet, pins & photo albums that I bought on the ship & some calendars & a Christmas ornament in port but the little bear is my favorite.

Can you provide the phone number and item number from your receipt for this bear? We would love to get one. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #59
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreIsMyName View Post
Can you provide the phone number and item number from your receipt for this bear? We would love to get one. Thanks!
Sure!

Alaska Stone Art
125 Main St.
Ketchikan, AK 99901
(907) 247-3332

StoneArt.AK@gmail.com

Item # BR6032-F "Small Black Orca Bear w/fish"
List price: $42.50

I paid $33 + 6% tax in store with end of summer clearance on 9/1/12.
On 9/23/12 I ordered it by mail and it was further reduced to $30 + $20 shipping. (Did I say $10 before? sorry, fuzzy memory.) No tax since it was shipped out of state.

He is only 2 1/4" long incl fish and 1 1/2" tall. They had larger ones but I liked the little one & the price was reasonable.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #60
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

Glacier silt soap from the Glacier Smoothie soap shop in Juneau.
Alaskan jacket available in all ports. It was 20.00 and has held up for almost 4 years.
Alaska sweatshirt
Ulu knife
totem pole with the FAB 5 on it from the ship.

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: