Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #31
ElizabethG
When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun
I think it's a human reaction to try to assign blame when something like this happens to help create the illusion that it won't happen to you. But it certainly can.
This is so true! We don't know that anyone was breaking rules. Even if he did, it was still an accident. I did plenty of things in my youth that, thinking back on, I'm lucky to be alive. This kid wasn't so lucky.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #32
WDWCPALUM03
Mouseketeer

All lifeguards on Disneys property go through extensive training and certifications. They also go through constant evaluations that they never know will happen. I don't think training affected anything in this case but you never have to worry about the lifeguards there not being properly trained.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

10/2011 Pop Century The Trip we dicovered Julia's Obsession with Stitch!
11/2012 POP 11 Days of Disney Fun MNSSHP & MVMCP!

4/2013 11 Days of Flower & Garden!
WDWCPALUM03 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #33
RedfromNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-am View Post
I think a "if you can't swim, don't go in water above your head" sign would be about as useful as the instructions on my hair dryer that say not to use it in the shower.

I mean, really.
Or don't dry your pet in the microwave
or don't try to fly with a superman-cape.....

Though to get back on track this ppears one of those rare things: a true accident. Which just sometimes ahppens.

Not everything can be solved by making more rules or putting up more signs or blaming someone..
RedfromNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #34
nhmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
You're right. I'm usually the one keeping a very close eye on the grandkids any time they are in the pool even tho they can all swim like a fish. Maybe there should be a night shift of life guards. There is usually always someone in the pool late at night.

It always surprises me to see this statement. There are an inconceivable number of backyard pools that have no lifeguards I have one at my home so if I am responsible enough to watch my own children in the pool at my home without a life guard why should Disney be required to supply one at night or not allow people to swim at night? Sometimes things happen and if we react with policy changes every time something did there would be no freedom at all.
nhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #35
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedfromNL View Post

Not everything can be solved by making more rules or putting up more signs or blaming someone..
Agreed. A knee-jerk reaction of having more lifeguards or roping off the pools won't stop accidents from happening. People would still find a way to swim, even if Disney gated all pools and chained them closed at night.

What happened was a horrible accident, but we all have to realize that we cannot prevent all accidents from happening. The boy was swimming with his family, it was as if he was unattended. It is possible too he would have drowned had lifeguards been present.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #36
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

The WDW lifeguards are extremely well trained. They do a very good job. I would imagine that Disney has come to the conclusion that it just isn't cost effective to put life guards at the pools all day/night. Why? You need about 3-4 life guards per pool. They have to change stations every so often. So, now you have 3-4 CMs out there, working, when there may very well be no one in the pool. There just isn't that great a need for staffing after a certain time.
There is signage that states when life guards go off duty. It is very clear. There is also plenty of signage that states no diving...it is all over the placed in the form of actual signs as well as on the concrete pool surround.
And not going into water over your head if you can't swim?? Seriously?? Does anyone really think that we need a sign stating not to do that?? That is just common sense.
And, it is about 5' deep in the center of the Hippy Dippy Pool. I know...I stand there and the water comes up to about my chin. I'm 5'8''.

I'm sure (at least as sure as I can be in this kind of situation) that this was just an awful accident. I'm not going to say whether or not the young man was jumping or diving off the edge of the pool....I don't know that. But I'm going to assume that at his age he could read...as could his family. So, there is little to no doubt that the 'rules' were out there and known about. Whether or not the boy, or his family, chose to follow those rules? No idea.
But it is still an awful thing to have happen. This poor family....they will have to live with this for a very long time, actually, forever. And those that witnessed it? I can't imagine the things they are going to see in their minds for a long time.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #37
Luv2trav
DIS Veteran

I've never seen better life guards than what I have seen at WDW. This was a tragic accident and I don't think staffing life guards 24/7 is neccessary.
2011-Nov/Dec SSR
2011 March/April-Beach Club Villas and AKV..
2010-March/April Pop/BWV/Poly
2009-June AKV Kidani
2008-June BCV
2007-Dec SSR Joined DVC-8/2007 AKV! May 2007 VB, SSR and VWL 2 bedroom May 2006 SSR 2 bedroom! October 2005 Contemporary February 2005 AKL Sav View May/June 2004 POFQ/POLY March 2003 Off Site
Luv2trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #38
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedfromNL View Post
Or don't dry your pet in the microwave
or don't try to fly with a superman-cape.....

Though to get back on track this ppears one of those rare things: a true accident. Which just sometimes ahppens.

not a lawyer but having the signs in place likely takes some of the burden off the hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmommy View Post
It always surprises me to see this statement. There are an inconceivable number of backyard pools that have no lifeguards I have one at my home so if I am responsible enough to watch my own children in the pool at my home without a life guard why should Disney be required to supply one at night or not allow people to swim at night? Sometimes things happen and if we react with policy changes every time something did there would be no freedom at all.
i have a pool too and a Realtor, they are termed an attractive nuisance in most communities and the homeowner is charged with obeying the local zoning ordinaces to protect the neighborhood 'from' the pool. Usually locking retractable steps, a 5 ft fence with locking gates and sometimes a pool alarm needs to be installed on a gate if it's part of a deck system.

fyi, no matter how strong a swimmer, a person can techinically drown in a tablespoon of water depending on the circumstances. That said, i have always been impressed with the dilligence of the disney lifeguards.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #39
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh2001 View Post
So true - they only swim with some friends in our pool. I do come out and check on them sometimes - but our pool is 5 foot high, above ground. All swimmers are tall enough to stand up in the pool with their heads above water.
Plus we have a No Diving rule.

I feel bad for the family - maybe the pool should be roped off when no life guard is around.The Dolphin/Swan do not let anyone swim in the Grotto pool until the life guard arrives at his/her post.
I certianty hope not!

This is indeed a very sad event and our family prayers go out to the family.

However it is also a very very very rare incident, and thousands of families and people enjoy swimming without a lifeguard. and never have a problem.

There is no reason to deny others who are aware there are no gaurds and still want to enjoy the pools.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #40
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh2001 View Post
Per DIS..
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/General_...orld_hotel.htm

13 year old boy in Value resort almost drowns.
My heart and prayers go out to the family and I hope he survives and takes some swimming lessons.

Do you think WDW needs to train the life guards better?

Do you think the sign by the pool should add, "if you can not swim, do not go into water above your head" ?

How deep are the pools in a Value (Pop) resort ?
Maybe 5 feet at the maximum area.
How tall is a 13 year old boy ?
Most likely at least 5 feet.

I would think a 13 year old boy at least knows how to tread water and do the doggy paddle.

My DS & DD started swim lessons at age 6.
They are not Olympic swimmers, but they at least could swim 100 yards, float on their back s, tread water, do the crawl and breast stroke.

Rereading the title, I feel it was poorly written and implies that the lifeguards were in some way at fault, when in fact they were not even on duty.

Maybe a rewording of the title is in order?

AKK

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #41
RunningWithScissors
Wife, Mom, Alabama Football GradFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethG View Post
This is so true! We don't know that anyone was breaking rules. Even if he did, it was still an accident. I did plenty of things in my youth that, thinking back on, I'm lucky to be alive. This kid wasn't so lucky.
Me, too! I think my user name says it all. This is a tragic ACCIDENT. Regardless of what happened, this is a families worst nightmare. I cannot imagine what they are going through and pray I never have to.

Prayers and peace to this family.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #42
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Rereading the title, I feel it was poorly written and implies that the lifeguards were in some way at fault, when in fact they were not even on duty.

Maybe a rewording of the title is in order?

AKK

AKK
I agree. From the reported information, the lifeguards had nothing to do with this since they were off duty.

First and foremost, this is an obvious tragedy and my heart goes out to the family.

But...I see alot of posters talking and making assumptions on how this could have been avoided or looking to where to put the blame, and the fact is, we really know nothing about how this happened. Who is to say that the kid didn't have a medical condition (such as heart or seizure disorder) that rendered him unconscious before even falling into the pool? We just have no idea about the circumstances, so I think that other than feeling incredibly sorry for the family...none of us have anything to say about it.

And, IMHO, the Disney lifeguards are super diligent....over the top diligent...but again...they were not on duty.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #43
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
I am an architect and a construction manager.

So often, we say people tend to make a people problem a building problem.

You post a sign that says no lifeguards after 9:00 pm. A person drowns and people say they should have a bigger sign and more lifeguards.

Ultimately the problem is someone did not follow the rules. You can make fences higher and signs bigger and someone will climb the fence and ignore the sign.
Yes.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #44
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

While Anthony’s death was an accident, it appears to ME from what I’ve read about it that a lifeguard at the pool would have had him out sooner, if there had been one on duty. It was several minutes that he was underwater before his cousin pulled him out, according to every source. So, while it was an accident, and rare, I think Disney should investigate having someone there at all times that the pool is open.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #45
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
While Anthony’s death was an accident, it appears to ME from what I’ve read about it that a lifeguard at the pool would have had him out sooner, if there had been one on duty. It was several minutes that he was underwater before his cousin pulled him out, according to every source. So, while it was an accident, and rare, I think Disney should investigate having someone there at all times that the pool is open.
You have no way of knowing that for sure. People have drowned in pools when there were lifeguards on duty. Nothing is fail safe, no matter how much we may like to think it is.

Do you really think Disney would hire a lot more lifeguards to cover every pool for hours on end? Many resorts have more quiet pools than themed pools, and the quiet pools never have lifeguards. You are talking not a small sum of money they would be spending.

While even one death is tragic, it shouldn't change how everything is done.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: