Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp911 View Post
He dove when it clearly states no diving. Follow rules.
Where did you read that?

I'm guessing you've never "broke a rule" in your life. It must be nice to be so perfect. Unbelievable
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #17
Dano1182
DIS Veteran

I am sure that just about all of us have did many things when we were young that could have gotten us hurt. It is part of growing up.
My prayers are with his family.
Dano1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

Do the Pop pools say 'No Diving" in the pavement all around the pool edge?
Or is it just on a sign ?

Maybe it should say 'No Diving' every 10 feet around the pool in the pavement.
Better safe than sorry.

Our prayers go out to the family too.
What a not nice memory of a WDW vacation.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

My prayers go out to the family.

When my son was young and in a pool, it didn't matter how many life guards were on duty. Not only did we keep our eyes on him; my wife and/or I were always with him. If there are a lot of people in the pool the life guards can't keep a constant eye on all the people. All it takes is a moment for things to go very wrong and it may not get notice for several minutes. And all it takes is a few minutes to become a very dangerous situation.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, Port Canaveral/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

No lifeguards were on duty.

If one must be able to swim to enter the pool area, they won't need kiddie pools anymore, and you can't just lounge by the pool unless you're able to swim. I assume it really means some would like to see guests not actually enter the pools at all unless they know how to swim. Not sure who would certify them as being proficient at swimming. Of course it's being reported that the 13 year old in the recent incident did know how to swim.

If WDW is going to make changes based on this incident, most likely it would be closing the pools when lifeguards aren't on duty, rather than hiring more lifeguards.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #21
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I, for one, hope we don't see widespread rule changes in response to this tragedy. It is terribly sad but from what we know it sounds like one of those inexplicable freak things in life - the child's parents were present, he knew how to swim, he was in water that probably wasn't over his head, and still something went wrong. It would be a shame for this incident to mean an end to the "swim at your own risk" policy that most of the Disney pools employ.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

We don't know the full story yet. Could be that we need to train parents better and tell them to watch their kids while at the pool.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh2001 View Post
Do the Pop pools say 'No Diving" in the pavement all around the pool edge?
Or is it just on a sign ?
Out of curiosity, I flipped through my photos of various Disney pools through the years. I can tell you the words "no diving" or the ø symbol over a picture of a diver is stamped onto the pavement at the edges of the all three pools at Pop, as well as the baseball pool at ASSp and the theme pool at CSR. I'd be willing to bet it is clearly posted around the edges of all Disney's pools.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #24
si-am
DIS Veteran

I think a "if you can't swim, don't go in water above your head" sign would be about as useful as the instructions on my hair dryer that say not to use it in the shower.

I mean, really.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #25
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Lifeguards that work for Disney go through a pretty intensive physical test before being allowed to work. Also the lifeguards weren't even on duty so they are in no way at fault. I'm sure every lifeguard who works for Disney is wishing they were at that pool on that day so they could have prevented this incident from happening.

Also for anyone who thinks you and your kids are safe in the water simply because the pool is only x feet deep and I'm x feet tall you are living by a false sense of security. Anything can happen even with a no diving rule at your family pool or a public pool with no life guard. Leg cramps can make someone drown and can come on with no warning no matter what you do. Also as someone posted in another thread someone who is truly drowning and not just in aquatic distress may not be able to use their legs as their body is too focused on breathing so it doesn't always allow them to respond correctly especially if water has already gotten into the lungs.

I'll never forget in my CPR and baby first aid training how much they remind you anyone can drown in just 1" of water and that is why you should know CPR and pool safety. Just because he was 13 and in 4 ft of water doesn't mean he was necessarily breaking the rules or horse playing. I wasn't there so I don't know if he dove in and hit his head, was simply having fun and slipped, had a seizure or hundreds of other things that could have gone wrong.

I can't believe how many people have quickly jumped to blame this 13 year old and his family for this horrible horrible accident that resulted in him loosing his life.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #26
geraghty
Mouseketeer

You never know what can happen. My heart too, goes out to this family. Does anyone know where you can read this story?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #27
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraghty
You never know what can happen. My heart too, goes out to this family. Does anyone know where you can read this story?
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/13-...z/-/index.html
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I am an architect and a construction manager.

So often, we say people tend to make a people problem a building problem.

You post a sign that says no lifeguards after 9:00 pm. A person drowns and people say they should have a bigger sign and more lifeguards.

Ultimately the problem is someone did not follow the rules. You can make fences higher and signs bigger and someone will climb the fence and ignore the sign.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #29
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
I am an architect and a construction manager.

So often, we say people tend to make a people problem a building problem.

You post a sign that says no lifeguards after 9:00 pm. A person drowns and people say they should have a bigger sign and more lifeguards.

Ultimately the problem is someone did not follow the rules. You can make fences higher and signs bigger and someone will climb the fence and ignore the sign.
Very true. It's also possible for accidents to happen when everyone is following the rules.
Negligence doesn't make situations like this any less painful, and allotting blame usually makes situations more painful.

I feel awful for him and his family.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #30
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain View Post
Very true. It's also possible for accidents to happen when everyone is following the rules.
Negligence doesn't make situations like this any less painful, and allotting blame usually makes situations more painful.

I feel awful for him and his family.
I think it's a human reaction to try to assign blame when something like this happens to help create the illusion that it won't happen to you. But it certainly can.

IF he did dive into the pool, he did break the rules - that is true. Kids do that - which is why parents have such a hard job to do. Kids don't have the ability to see the consequences of their actions the way adults do (well, most adults anyway). Kids break rules all the time, and most of the time, nothing happens. I'm sure he didn't intend to even get hurt, let alone anything else. He was just having a fun day at the pool on vacation.

Disney is the only hotel I've traveled to in all my years of traveling that has lifeguards on duty at their pools. I've stayed at a LOT of hotels, and they have all been "swim at your own risk". I don't really think it is practical for Disney to extend the hours of the lifeguards, and I would hope that they continue to make the pools available for swimming when the guards are off duty. You have to weigh the risk, and look at the history of similar incidents, and then decide if what you are doing is adequate. I think what they are doing is fine.

No matter what you do or where you go, there is always a risk of something happening to you. Just think of the poor man swallowed by the sinkhole a couple weeks ago. All he did was go to sleep in his own bed in his own house, and poof - he was gone.

I feel bad for the family and for the other guests who were in the area at the time. I was really hoping he would pull through, and was very sad to hear he had not.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: