Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
SunDevilFanAZ
Earning My Ears

First timer question - cameras and the beach

We are going on our first cruise next year on the Fantasy. Needless to say, I will want to take pictures of everything we do. Since going to the beaches on Castaway Cay, St. Marteen and St. John will be a big part of it, I have a few questions that I hope some more experienced cruisers can help answer for me.

1.what precautions or other things do I need to take with my DSLR on and around the beach?
2. Do I just leave it in its backpack while on the beach with the rest of our stuff, obviously not displayed but tucked inside its backpack? In other words do I need to worry about it being stolen while we are in the water?
3. Do I bother bringing my tripod to Castaway Cay?

Thanks in advance.
SunDevilFanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
mrssmiddy
Mouseketeer

I have brought my DSLR to Castaway Cay and just kept it in my backpack, out of sight when not using it. My DH usually doesn't leave our chairs for too long though. He doesn't get in the water much. I don't know what you are doing in the other ports, but I would be more cautious there. We went to Atlantis on our first cruise, and I wouldn't leave my DSLR...made DH get us a locker, which ended up taking a while, mostly because we weren't familiar with where we were. It might have been ok, but I was paranoid someone might take it.

I also brought a waterproof camera for snorkeling and that I could take pictures while we were in the water. They aren't all perfect, but the underwater pictures are neat, and I wouldn't have otherwise had pictures of my kids playing in the water.

I don't have a tripod, so not sure about that. I did take some family pictures on our first trip, so if you wanted to do something like that, you might want it. We got lucky, and a CM noticed us and offered to take a group picture of all of us.

Disney Fantasy 7-Night Western Caribbean - October 2013
Disney Dream 5-Night - July 2012
Disney Dream 5-Night - August 2011
mrssmiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I wondered about this as well. Are there lockers on Castaway Cay?
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
I wondered about this as well. Are there lockers on Castaway Cay?
Nope, no lockers.

I just keep my DSLR in a bag on a chair with me. I don't get the water so I like to just sit on the beach while the kids play.

Some people buy these bags for vacations......http://www.kyssbags.com/

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
SunDevilFanAZ
Earning My Ears

Okay so just keep it close by and under watch
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
dkostel
Future owner at CRV? VCR? I don't care lets call it Bob as long as it happens!
I have great appreciation for anything that can make me laugh when I'm out in 10 degree weather

I bought a Kyss beach bag and I find it to be quite safe. It has a combination lock on a chain built into the bag. You just chain it to the chair and it cannot be opened or removed. If you had some sort of chain snips you could probably do it, but who would bother with other unattended bags? Helps to make the beach that much more relaxing
Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

If you plan on getting in the water, you may want to get an underwater housing case for your DSLR. That way you don't ever have to let your camera out of your hands so you don't have to worry about it being stolen. And you can get some underwater shots of the fish and wildlife plus fun shots of your family playing in the water!
trickiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

Oh! And as for the tripod, if you think you'll really want a tripod on Castaway Cay, but don't really want to lug it around, you could always get a Gorillapod!
trickiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
lizzyb
DIS Veteran

We are just going to take pictures and when done dh plans on taking it back to the ship.
Oct. 23-28, 2007 Pop Century,July 12-19, 2008 Pop Century, Jan. 23-30, 2009 Pop Century, Jan.23-31,2010 POR, Aug. 28-Sept. 4, 2011 CSR, Aug.13-19, 2012 AoA, April 20-27, 2013 Disney Fantasy, Aug. 3-12, 2014 CR, April 25- May 2, 2015 Disney Fantasy

lizzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
gilsan
DIS Veteran

We don't bring our dslr to the beach because of the sand. It can get into your camera and cause problems. Also sea salt spray can cause a problem.

We have a beach camera that is waterproof. It takes good pictures and won't be affected by the sand.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
gilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #12
DVC Jen
DIS Veteran
Wigs out even the biggest circus freaks!
Proudly wears the title of WEIRDEST DISer!

I always bring my back up dslr on the beach. When not using it I store it in a large ziplock jdt invade sand gets into the bag. Never ever change a lens on the beach. The blowing sand can damage your sensor very quickly.

Check Out My Disney Vacation Photos My Disney Family Vacation Galleries
DVC Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:48 AM   #13
SaraCat
Earning My Ears

I've been thinking about how to deal with this too and after some DIS advice decided to go with a waterproof case for my DSLR and I will take it everywhere with me. I could not relax in the water knowing I had abandoned my camera in a bag on the beach and it will be cool to get some shots in the water too. The bonus is the waterproof case will also offer protection from sand too
SaraCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
SunDevilFanAZ
Earning My Ears

DisneyfaninAz- Go Devils!!!!

Thanks for the advice everyone else. I appreciate it. My DSLR is my new pride and joy. It took me a while to save up for it so needless to say having it walk away while we are in te water or the obvious sand effect makes me skittish. I forgot about waterproof cameras. There are a few that a diver at work recommended. I can start looking into them again.

As for the underwater case, I am pretty nervous about that. I know they will work but the what if question on a $1000 piece of electronics I wouldn't be able to replace for a long time leaves me apprehensive on that option.

I appreciate all the advice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: