Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Swan & Dolphin Resort Fee News

So I wonder...
does a $17 per day resort fee deter anyone else from wanting to stay at the Swan & Dolphin? I am on a mission to stay at all the onsite resorts. But $119 a week is a steep add for
- fitness center, which I don't use since I am walking 5 miles a day at WDW
- Internet Access, okay maybe for $8 a day but have you guys noticed the rest of the world has stopped charging for Internet access?
- Free local calls and domestic long distance, as if we don't all have cell phones
- 2 bottles of water per day

I'm not drinking the kool-aid at $17 for two bottles. At 80% average occupancy the Swan and Dolphin together would rake in $11 Million per year on this fee!

I can't stand hidden profit margins like this. They can fund their network, fitness center, phone system, and pay their entire housekeeping staff with $11M. I'll take tap water thanks.

Oh well. At least I'd get free parking. Right? Right?

35+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
amberpi
DIS Veteran

This is the case at so many other destinations we frequent, I don't even blink at it. For instance, I think at the Wynn, its going to be $25 a night for a bachelorette party I'm attending this summer, just part of the deal.
amberpi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
patty57
DIS Veteran

It's still quite a bit less expensive than any of the other Epcot resorts, even with the current 30% discount. So it sure wouldn't keep me from staying at the S&D. Don't you think that the WDW resorts are also charging for these things? They roll them into their price so you don't notice them.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

We get great rates at the S/D with the teacher discount. Even with the resort fee, the rooms are far less than other Epcot area resorts. As others have said, I pay resort fees and parking fees at other resorts so this one isn't unusual. Heck we had to pay for parking at the Hilton in Myrtle Beach a week ago.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBill View Post
So I wonder...
does a $17 per day resort fee deter anyone else from wanting to stay at the Swan & Dolphin? I am on a mission to stay at all the onsite resorts. But $119 a week is a steep add for
- fitness center, which I don't use since I am walking 5 miles a day at WDW
- Internet Access, okay maybe for $8 a day but have you guys noticed the rest of the world has stopped charging for Internet access?
- Free local calls and domestic long distance, as if we don't all have cell phones
- 2 bottles of water per day

I'm not drinking the kool-aid at $17 for two bottles. At 80% average occupancy the Swan and Dolphin together would rake in $11 Million per year on this fee!

I can't stand hidden profit margins like this. They can fund their network, fitness center, phone system, and pay their entire housekeeping staff with $11M. I'll take tap water thanks.

Oh well. At least I'd get free parking. Right? Right?
Self parking at the resort is $15 per night plus tax, $20 for valet.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/re...ces-amenities/

Quote:
Parking

Paid self-parking at Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel is located near the hotel’s entrance. The associated cost is $15 a day plus tax.

Valet parking is also available for $20 a day plus tax.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Self parking at the resort is $15 per night plus tax, $20 for valet.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/re...ces-amenities/
So it costs you $15 a day to park at the S/D, in addition to the $17 a day per person resort fees? Do you also have to pay for parking at the parks?
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #7
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMinnie View Post
So it costs you $15 a day to park at the S/D, in addition to the $17 a day per person resort fees? Do you also have to pay for parking at the parks?
Parking at the parks is free.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #8
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Well, you don't have to stay at S/D to technically stay at all of the onsite resorts, since S/D is not a Disney resort. I'm on the same mission, and S/D is nowhere on my list. So, scratch it off and move to the next one in your list.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
LexiC123
on this, our spaceship earth
makes me want to jab candy canes into my ears

Honestly, it makes no difference to me how many line items the S/D add to their room rate...it's all about the bottom line.

And frequently, that bottom line is $50 - $100 less per night than the Boardwalk, Yacht or Beach Club, so I'm kinda confused about why people make such a big deal about it.

If that kind of logic is "drinking the Kool-Aid", then pass me another glass!
WDW: 6/72 offsite.....5/93 offsite.....10/94 OKW.....11/95 BC.....10/96 BWV.....10/97 BC.....3/98 CBR.....10/98 WL.....5/99 YC & GF.....8/99 DI (now SSR).....9/99 CR.....3/00 BC.....4/00 YC.....8/00 Poly.....4/01 BC.....7/01 YC.....8/02 BC.....9/09 Dolphin.....9/10 Swan.....10/11 Swan & Dolphin.....4/13 Swan & BC
DL: 3/71 offsite.....6/98 Pacific Hotel (now Paradise Pier).....12/00 Disneyland Hotel

Last edited by LexiC123; 04-04-2013 at 06:31 AM.
LexiC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiC123 View Post
Honestly, it makes no difference to me how many line items the S/D add to their room rate...it's all about the bottom line.

And frequently, that bottom line is $50 - $100 less per night than the Boardwalk, Yacht or Beach Club, so I'm kinda confused about why people make such a big deal about it.

If that kind of logic is "drinking the Kool-Aid"' then pass me another glass!
Completely agree with this. I'm saving over $600 (in fact I think it's between $700-$800 but don't feel like doing the calculations again) staying at the Dolphin in May with an AAA discount. I also get a $50 resort credit to use. That's after including all taxes and fees, transportation costs, and even using Disney's 30% discount rate. I will have a lot of fun with that money. All I care about is the bottom line.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: