Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Holy Cow- so many resorts booked full

for our trip, Oct 4-Oct 11. Is it really going to be that busy?

We were booked Dec 16-23rd, but had to change for my son's graduation from Marine Boot camp is a couple days prior.

I thought that the 1st week of Oct was a "slow" time for WDW. Will it be busier than our last trip, 2nd week of Aug 2012?

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidijanesmith View Post
for our trip, Oct 4-Oct 11. Is it really going to be that busy?

We were booked Dec 16-23rd, but had to change for my son's graduation from Marine Boot camp is a couple days prior.

I thought that the 1st week of Oct was a "slow" time for WDW. Will it be busier than our last trip, 2nd week of Aug 2012?
The Gartner Symposium is scheduled for October 6-10. Many of the deluxe and moderate resorts are usually booked for the conference. Most of the meetings are scheduled at the Swan/Dolphin.
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

ALso alot of schools have a Fall break the 1st and 2nd weeks of October, plus Food and Wine is at Epcot so that books the Epcot resorts
Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
njsmama
Mouseketeer

Yes, that tends to be the busiest week in October. Lots of fall breakers, F&W Festival and other things I am sure. It probably won't be "middle of summer" busy, but it won't be slow either.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
francie57
DIS Veteran

That is also the weekend for the Tower of Terror 10 mile run at the Studios so that will also be a big draw for runners.
francie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!

We will be there October 5 - 13 too. I'm preparing for crowds but hope its not too packed
Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Before all of the events that were mentioned above it was considered "convention" month so October has become a fairly busy month in WDW, but I think F&W has become the most popular event that is bringing in the higher crowds although if you look at a lot of the crowd calendars it's still considered "low" to "moderate" as opposed to "high".

There is a lull around Halloween (few days before and after), this is when we've gone a few years and the crowds are definitely more manageable.

Because of the various other events and Columbus Day you will find quite a variation.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

The Gartner IT convention is that week. They have it every year in October at the Swan and Dolphin. They offer special rates for the convention participants at almost all resorts. You will be hard pressed to find anywhere to stay those 4 days. You might want to consider changing your dates. The convention is usually around the 20th. I guess they moved it up this year.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
nat8199
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
The Gartner IT convention is that week. They have it every year in October at the Swan and Dolphin. They offer special rates for the convention participants at almost all resorts. You will be hard pressed to find anywhere to stay those 4 days. You might want to consider changing your dates. The convention is usually around the 20th. I guess they moved it up this year.
Does the convention make the PARKS a lot busier that week, or just the hotels?

Me - 32 DH - 34 DD - 3 DS - 2 DS - 2
nat8199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Chaoticsweetness
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat8199

Does the convention make the PARKS a lot busier that week, or just the hotels?
There is no significant increase in the parks, but its definitely more busy around the boardwalk area.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
We can't change our dates, we are locked in with my husbands work. It was hard to get him changed from our Dec dates. We are staying at AKL this time, so I am not too worried about the convention goers at the EPCOT area. Just concerned about the parks and crowds. We are used to July and August touring, so if it's better than that, we will be ok.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
cfw213
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422 View Post
Before all of the events that were mentioned above it was considered "convention" month so October has become a fairly busy month in WDW, but I think F&W has become the most popular event that is bringing in the higher crowds although if you look at a lot of the crowd calendars it's still considered "low" to "moderate" as opposed to "high".

There is a lull around Halloween (few days before and after), this is when we've gone a few years and the crowds are definitely more manageable.

Because of the various other events and Columbus Day you will find quite a variation.
Glad to see this. This past year we went Sept 15-23 and the low crowds were FANTASTIC! This year we are Oct 26-Nov 3 because of my sister's job and I was worried the crowds would be too much for us.

September 2012 TR - COMPLETE- Are you Push?? Our sister trip around the World - A September 2012 TR
October 2013 TR - IN PROGRESS- Where are we going? What are we doing? An engagement/anniversary extravaganza! - An Oct 2013 TR

cfw213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #13
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Yes it is very possible certain days at certain parks will be busier than when you went in August.

October is a prime time for conventions, Food and Wine, Halloween parties and it gets busier each year.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #14
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Symposium takes over both S&D and bc/YC conference centers. Also, extends with tents to the parking lots. Plus lots of bus traffic in addition to Wdw buses as they bring attendees from all other deluxes.

In the past only Epcot resorts where available, but now they've extended it to all other deluxes. This does reduce the demand for these, but gartner brings 6-7k attendees and employees.

Parks are not an issue. There's a private event and one of the parks is closed at night for attendees (including food and open bar). Except three years ago when the event was held at IOA after HP opened.

But dinner at the expensive restaurants in the Epcot resorts is an issue. Many vendor dinners and special events. Two years ago at house if blues, Bon Joci did a private concert...

It's a it money maker. Tickets do cost about 4K.
'13 (POR), '13 (3n Magic)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #15
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Lets not forget that that is Columbus Day weekend too, so many schools have a little longer weekend/break. I actually considered coming down that weekend...but maybe not...

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: