Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #16
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

As others have said, it's not the cost only, it's the space difference. Same price offsite is much more space. We are trying Bonnet Creek for the first time in November because we need a villa, we won't stay in a single room. A one bedroom villa Thanksgiving week at WDW is around $600 a night. A cabin at Fort Wilderness around $400 and a family suite around $275. We are paying $120 for a 2 bedroom, so 3 rooms, 3 TVs, 2 bathrooms and surrounded by Disney World. We won't see a difference driving between BC or OKW (which we love). We'll miss out on EMHs, but because of the holiday, there's not that many of them and we never do early EMH, so I think we're missing one late EMH.

We love staying onsite and will again if we can get a good deal. Or we'll love Bonnet Creek and buy some points in the resale market for next to nothing and go there all the time. We'll have to wait and see.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #17
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

OP, you have only one small child, so for you the money factor may not be a huge difference as you have found. We have 4 kids and need 2 rooms at any resort (pretty much) or a 2BR villa (very costly). Our last trip (Oct 2012) was offsite at Bonnet Creek. We were able to get a 2BR deluxe for $837 for the whole week. Way cheaper than 2 rooms at a value even.
As our kids have gotten older (and since we have 4, with a new SIL to boot), we value the space more than being in a WDW resort.
Our future trips will most likely be offsite. We have seen the difference and love the space and lower cost. I love WDW resorts, but unless they offer me a GREAT deal...its offsite for us
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
ohionola
Mouseketeer

I think it is to early to tell on a discount for offsite. I find most off site places get dramatically cheaper the closer to the travel date. Also, the ticket prices might be a tad high. Did you price them from an authorized reseller? I would suggest you book with Disney to secure something but to look monthly at condos in case a good deal comes around.
ohionola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #19
sympatico
DIS Veteran

Maybe if you compared an offsite hotel room similar to what you would have at Disney instead of a condo then you would see more savings. It always seems like that when people start comparing off site to on site they compare a Disney hotel room to a condo/vacation home. Compare apples with apples and not apples with oranges and you may see the difference easier.
Lindfields: twice, Lake Davenport, Venice hotel,Oak Plantation, St. Pete's Beach Hilton, Wyndham Cypress Palms, Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach, Liki Tiki Village, Grand Reserve, Rotonda Lakes near Port Charlotte,Windsor Hills: 6 times, Indian Creek (twice), Emerald Island (4 times), Reunion Resort (twice) Sunset Lakes, Crestwynd Bay, Briarwood in Naples
sympatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #20
sheetz
DIS Veteran

^Yeah, I can't see how this is a valid comparison. All star resort standard rooms are 260sf, but 1br at the Blue Heron is 885sf and comes with full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, and washer/dryer. The fact that the Blue Heron *STILL* comes out cheaper says it all.
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #21
Don Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyjeka View Post
With our party of eight we would need at least two rooms, more likely three if staying at a value. I really don't believe onsite is cheaper when you have larger parties. We stay at least ten nights and enjoy a little downtime at our resort. We also love a kitchen. We have strange kids I guess because they don't eat well at WDW, and I like to cook a few meals for them in the middle of the trip. My dh loves a balcony which requires deluxe. For all of the reasons mentioned we've stayed at Bonnet Creek several times. We arrive this Dec. 6th for 11 nights in a 3 bedroom for $1495.00, tax included. I can't justify spending thousands more to stay onsite. Have a great trip.
Sweeeet Price! Where did you book for that? We have 6,and could DEFINATELY use a deal like that!
Don Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #22
Ametista
DIS Veteran

I don't think you looked hard enough. Go to Homeaway.com, go to Kissimmee and then sort by price for 1 bedrooms. There are a lot of condos for much less than what you quoted.

Also, being able to zip around in my own car is much better than bus service. Even when I stayed onsite we had our own car.
Ametista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #23
TamaraQT
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
Finally, speaking for nearly all husbands (and, for that matter, quite a few wives!) don't discount the value of a separate bedroom with a lockable door while on vacation.
I agree!!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #24
katyjeka
DIS Veteran

I reserved with Vacation Strategy. They were very prompt in their replies, and seem very helpful. We've stayed at Bonnet Creek before, but this is actually the best price we've been able to get.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #25
SMWfamily
Stinkerbell

I have recently booked through Redweek. Got a heck of a deal and I checked the renters references, address, called the resort, sent the check, then just checked resort confirmation again. All seems smooth and legit. The price, even 140 days out, was very low for a 2 bed 2 bath at Bonnet Creek. It's a chance... but sometimes chances are the only way to get the super low bargains.

Redweek requires you to pay 13.99 a year for membership. Within 48 hours I was booked.

Our JULY 2013 Montage - Turn it up!!
7/9/13-7/14/13 Roasting our *** off at Silver Lake Resort. 7/14-7/17 Bonnet Creek
5/12 Four GLORIOUS days at Contempo. Kid free. (conference)
3/11 Food and Wine Festival (one day)
3/10 CBR - first time staying on property!
Our 2010 Montage - the kids were so little!
New! Convention TR 2012 - Now With More Zombie Flesh!
SMWfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #26
jeff968
DIS Veteran

We save money by staying offsite. We stay at the nicer timeshare resorts. We hit the Publix as soon as we get there and do breakfast, lunch, drinks, and snacks out of our kitchen. We go out for dinner only. This saves tons of money. The resorts are great and have much to do we we spend most of our days there next to the pool. The in-room laundry is great and cuts down on the clothes we bring. We are offsiters for good now.

14 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD, MIL)
13, 12, 11 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD with us, 2 in college)
10 Marriott Newport beach villas, California (DW, 3 kids)
09 Marriott Horizons (DW, 2 kids, MIL)
08 Marriott Cypress Harbor/Grand Vista (2 kids)
07 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
06 Marriott Imperial Palm (DW, 3 kids, MIL, cousin)
05 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
04 Vistana Villages/Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
03 AKL/Orange Lake (3 kids)
02 HGVC Seaworld (3 kids)
01 Vistana Resort (3 kids)
00 Radisson Resort Pkwy (3 kids)
97 Radisson Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
95 Sheraton Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
93 Dixie Landings (2 kids)
92 Port Orleans (1 child)
86 Sheraton world (the wife & I)
73 Can't remember (M&D&B&S&GM)
jeff968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #27
momfeez
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallie724 View Post
We just got back from Disney with my parents and stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and had a great trip. My husband didn't go with us and hasn't been since he was 5. When we got back he said he would like for us to go next year. It will be me, him and our DD (6). He knows I'm a deal hunter so he said for me to find the best deal. We will be going in May 2014 so to get an idea of prices and things I started price comparing rates for this May.

I thought going offsite would be the way to go but now I just don't know. Here's what I found.

Blue Heron 1 bedroom - $728 for 8 nights plus a $50 cleaning fee, 6 day park hoppers and water park, and then $15/day to park at Disney - Grand total - $1945

All Star Resort on property - with the current promo they are offering discount on room and tickets I can get the 8 nights plus 6 day park hopper and water park for $2028. Without the promo it would be $2167.

I honestly thought that staying offsite would save me more but I guess since we aren't a large group and we don't have to rent multiple rooms or cram 5 people into one the savings just isn't adding up. I know I would save some money but I like the Disney bus service a lot in case we have to go back to the room or if DH wants to go back and we want to stay.

Am I missing something?
The cost all depends on the amenities you want. You can stay off property for way cheaper, but it all depends on what you want. We prefer to drive and not use bus system (we are APs, so we don't have to pay to park). We spend all our time at the parks, so the pool and other amenities don't really matter. I like to have a full kitchen for breakfasts and sometimes to cook a quick late dinner or for snacks. I also like to have a washing machine/dryer.

We are renting a 3 bedroom 3 bath townhouse in Crestwynd Bay for $75 a night this June. With 2 teenagers and a preteen we all need space, especially if we are together for a week. A few days we can handle in a suite type hotel room, but not for longer than that. When they were younger....10 years ago or so, we could do a regular hotel room and it was ok, but not anymore.

Disney can be very expensive or not so expensivey, it's just a matter of your personal preference and what you want and what you are willing to do without.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #28
Robbi
DIS Veteran

We're staying 7 nights at WBC in a 2BD 2BA, full kitchen, LR.with a washer /dryer for $840.
I do not cook on vacation but the kitchen is convenient for snacks/ drink storage.

We have APs and will only have to buy 1 ticket-367.43
We had been booked in a BWV deluxe studio. With the AP discount, it was $2100.
a 1BD BWV villa is $2900 with the AP discount.
We won't have to pay for parking because we're AP holders.
We don't get the DDP because it's a waste for us.
Total for our stay is $1207.43. That is a value.
BWV 1 bd -2900+367.43 = $3267.43
BWV deluxe studio 2100+ 367.43=$2467.43
Just the savings on WBC over the BWV studio is $1260.00 That will cover the cost of all of the food at the restaurants we've booked.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #29
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momfeez View Post
The cost all depends on the amenities you want. You can stay off property for way cheaper, but it all depends on what you want. We prefer to drive and not use bus system (we are APs, so we don't have to pay to park). We spend all our time at the parks, so the pool and other amenities don't really matter. I like to have a full kitchen for breakfasts and sometimes to cook a quick late dinner or for snacks. I also like to have a washing machine/dryer.

We are renting a 3 bedroom 3 bath townhouse in Crestwynd Bay for $75 a night this June. With 2 teenagers and a preteen we all need space, especially if we are together for a week. A few days we can handle in a suite type hotel room, but not for longer than that. When they were younger....10 years ago or so, we could do a regular hotel room and it was ok, but not anymore.

Disney can be very expensive or not so expensivey, it's just a matter of your personal preference and what you want and what you are willing to do without.
We are looking at Crestwynd Bay too since it's right next to Windsor Hills, may I ask what rental you are staying in?

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #30
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

I think it all depends on how many in your group, and what discounts Disney may be offering at the time.

For our past trip, I was looking at WBC for 5 of us. But when I got a PIN code for FD, it came out a lot cheaper, since 4 of us were disney "adults".

Anything other than FD, it would have been offsite for us. Yes, we didn't have the space that a condo would have given us, but everyone wanted the character meals, no driving (me and dh!) and the EMH more.

It all depends on what you value. For me, having a separate room for the kids to go to sleep in before me isn't important, as I can't outlast them anymore. More like a separate bedroom for me is what I need! LOL

Next trip kids will be older and sharing beds will be harder, so it will probably be offsite.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is online now   Reply With Quote