Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #31
moviefreak78
Earning My Ears

I haven't done DTD in Orlando yet, but last year, I got to tag along with DH on a work trip to the DL area. Because I was waiting for him to be done his meetings and such before going into DL (he had to buy our tix him being military), I roamed around DTD a lot. I actually really enjoyed it. We also had a nice place to meet up with a friend from LA without her having to pay for anything except dinner. I see the appeal of DTD if you don't have park passes for every day of your trip. We are planning a night there when we arrive so we don't waste one of our four days on our travel day.

To each his own!

Crossing my fingers for a Thanksgiving trip this year!
moviefreak78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #32
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefreak78 View Post
I haven't done DTD in Orlando yet, but last year, I got to tag along with DH on a work trip to the DL area. Because I was waiting for him to be done his meetings and such before going into DL (he had to buy our tix him being military), I roamed around DTD a lot. I actually really enjoyed it. We also had a nice place to meet up with a friend from LA without her having to pay for anything except dinner. I see the appeal of DTD if you don't have park passes for every day of your trip. We are planning a night there when we arrive so we don't waste one of our four days on our travel day.

To each his own!
I agree completely. When my ex and i went down to Star Wars Celebration a few years ago, she had never been to WDW before. Unfortunately with the convention taking up most of our time and money, we didn't really have the opportunity to visit a park. Thankfully, we got a chance to go to DTD and experience a little bit of Disney magic while we were visiting. I am very greatful for that.
dairylives is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #33
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDisneyKid View Post
next thing you know,,,money hungry disney will charge to park there
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I agree. I don't pay to park at the mall. I don't expect to pay to park at DTD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
no way could they charge for parking and if they did and then didn't for resort guests or AP
holders it would be totally unfair to patrons and businesses not Disney owned

Never gonna happen Mickey would be shooting himself in his
bank account as the masses rebeled especially locals
The parking model at Downtown Disney in California provides free parking for up to 3 hours or 5 hours with a qualifying food or merchandise purchase.

That is ABSOLUTELY what Florida needs.

Every single operating day there are now hundreds of guests who park at DTD and walk the 10 minutes to Saratoga Springs to catch a bus rather than paying to park at a theme park. It clogs up the DTD parking lots. It clogs up the Saratoga Springs buses.

Hopefully that would also encourage Disney to revive bus service between the theme parks and DTD/Disney Springs. They eliminated such service about 10 years ago because it helped facilitate the parking cheats. (In reality, it just shifted much of the problem to Saratoga Springs.) There are many times we've skipped a trip to DTD because we just didn't want to deal with the hassle of two bus rides rather than direct service.

Passholders and resort guests would undoubtedly get unlimited free parking at Disney Springs, too.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #34
utahkennedys
DIS Veteran

I hope DTD doesn't just become a typical high-end mall! What I used to love in the last 38 years that I have been going was that the stores weren't "typical" mall stores but had some uniqueness. Slowly over the last 15 years or so this has already faded just like the Main Street stores. Somehow that depresses me to just have row after row of same old, same old made in China junk.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #35
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahkennedys View Post
I hope DTD doesn't just become a typical high-end mall! What I used to love in the last 38 years that I have been going was that the stores weren't "typical" mall stores but had some uniqueness. Slowly over the last 15 years or so this has already faded just like the Main Street stores. Somehow that depresses me to just have row after row of same old, same old made in China junk.
Even Disney won't be able to come up with 150 unique shops and restaurants. And most of the locations will be run by outside vendors.

Expect it to be a mixture of unique and familiar.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #36
tth5454
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz

Even Disney won't be able to come up with 150 unique shops and restaurants. And most of the locations will be run by outside vendors.

Expect it to be a mixture of unique and familiar.
I'm looking forward to the changes
tth5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #37
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The parking model at Downtown Disney in California provides free parking for up to 3 hours or 5 hours with a qualifying food or merchandise purchase.

That is ABSOLUTELY what Florida needs.
They stated that parking would be free.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #38
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
They stated that parking would be free.
Yes, I saw that. Perhaps foolishly, I'm clinging to the hope that there are asterisks to that statement. As in, parking will be free for up to 3 hours or unlimited with a qualifying DTD purchase (meal, movie ticket, etc.)

Disney generates an impressive revenue stream by charging $15 per vehicle at its theme parks. It's unfathomable to me that they would put 6000 free parking spaces within a 10 minute walk of the nearest Saratoga Springs bus stop.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #39
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:

Yes, I saw that. Perhaps foolishly, I'm clinging to the hope that there are asterisks to that statement. As in, parking will be free for up to 3 hours or unlimited with a qualifying DTD purchase (meal, movie ticket, etc.)

Disney generates an impressive revenue stream by charging $15 per vehicle at its theme parks. It's unfathomable to me that they would put 6000 free parking spaces within a 10 minute walk of the nearest Saratoga Springs bus stop.
If Disney felt this was enough of a problem, they would do what you say. I for one hope they don't.

They charge $14 per day at the parks, by the way.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #40
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You know I'm usually with you...

But I'm thinking you're overstating this particular problem.

Undoubtedly, there are abusers and some will take advantage...but if they're going to go to that trouble...I actually don't care.

Remember one difference...overcrowded, pay for parking California doesn't necessarily need the same accommodations as central Florida...where there isn't generally the need for pay lots and the wages are pathetic.

They have to supplement there business with floridians...especially with more "retail" offerings such as Apple, Coach, etc.
And paid parking won't work there. It seems trivial...but when you make minimum wage serving tourists (as the majority of Orlando does)...it does matter
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 03-14-2013 at 07:53 PM.
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #41
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
If Disney felt this was enough of a problem, they would do what you say. I for one hope they don't.
Problem is, the Disney suits don't have to fight for bus space with parking violators.

It's even worse in the evening when guests are waiting to return to Saratoga Springs. Cast Members actively encourage guests headed from theme parks to DTD to take the SSR bus and walk over. All because Disney doesn't want to spend the money on a dedicated bus.

I'm guessing you don't stay at Saratoga Springs so it's just someone else's problem.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #42
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
You know I'm usually with you...

But I'm thinking you're overstating this particular problem.

Undoubtedly, there are abusers and some will take advantage...but if they're going to go to that trouble...I actually don't care.
I'm not prone to hyperbole but at the predictable times (park opening, evening), it's a big frickin' inconvenience to the guests who expect reasonable service from the resort's bus system.

Many mornings you can literally see the parade of folks walking over from DTD.

At night, people leaving theme parks are actively encouraged to take the SSR bus to reach Downtown Disney. I've even had a DME driver give out that advice--unsolicited--as we were headed to a completely different resort from the airport.

I understand Disney's financial motivation in this case. And I also realize that all guests have certain entitlement to resort-wide transportation. But neither of those are much comfort when you're squeezed out of a bus--and left waiting another 20 minutes--by folks just looking to save $14 (or whatever the price may be.)

Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #43
thorphin
DIS Veteran

Seems like giving RFID cards to resort guests and RFID readers on the buses would be an easy, relatively low impact way of keeping the right people in the right place, while securing the proper parking revenue stream. I can't imagine Disney NOT doing this by 2016.

'83, '84: Fort Wilderness...'84: Golf Resort
'88, '93: Disney Inn..........'95, '98: Off Property
'00: Dixie Landings...........'02: PO Riverside
'05: Beach Club Villas.......'09, '10 PO Riverside
09/2013: Poly!
thorphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #44
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorphin
Seems like giving RFID cards to resort guests and RFID readers on the buses would be an easy, relatively low impact way of keeping the right people in the right place, while securing the proper parking revenue stream. I can't imagine Disney NOT doing this by 2016.
Disney provides transportation for all guests, not just resort guests.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #45
thorphin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Disney provides transportation for all guests, not just resort guests.
Fair enough. I suppose that makes it more complicated. But using RFID, they could still conceivably limit the ability to board a bus at Saratoga Springs to resort guests. And probably overhaul the bus stops at Downtown Disney to support transportation to the parks in a way that is profitable AND benefits guests of Saratoga.

And I believe that the intent of Disney's transportation is to transport people from their on-site rooms, theme parks, and paid parking lots to theme parks. I do not believe that Disney intends to transport people who are getting free parking to shop at DTD to theme parks. I also believe that if Disney has the ability to increase revenue (including parking revenue) with little negative impact to paying guests, they will.

The point is that technology is being implemented that will enable lots of interesting things and 2016 is a LONG time from now.

'83, '84: Fort Wilderness...'84: Golf Resort
'88, '93: Disney Inn..........'95, '98: Off Property
'00: Dixie Landings...........'02: PO Riverside
'05: Beach Club Villas.......'09, '10 PO Riverside
09/2013: Poly!

Last edited by thorphin; 03-14-2013 at 08:21 PM.
thorphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: