Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormania View Post
So from what I read in the article it will be basically a high end Disney outdoor shopping mall, with some "theming." Like I don't have access to high end stores at the "malls" here. I didn't see anything "new" that would get me to want to go to DTD with this announcement.

I've never understood the draw that people have to go "shopping" while on vacation. For souvenirs and such, that's understandable. But to spend valuable WDW time shopping for fashion clothes and such.....

But I'm also a guy and as long as my shorts and t-shirt are clean I"m all good for clothes.

Fo you shoppers.....enjoy!!
That's pretty much how I describe it now, in its current form. I didn't read the specifics yet, but are they adding a Tiffany's or something?
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

no way could they charge for parking and if they did and then didn't for resort guests or AP
holders it would be totally unfair to patrons and businesses not Disney owned

Never gonna happen Mickey would be shooting himself in his
bank account as the masses rebeled especially locals
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #18
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

I certainly don't go there clothes shopping (maybe occasional souvenir type). If they change DTD very much, I will just stop going there. I definitely won't pay to park, usually just use Disney transportation anyway. We enjoy a few restaurants and shops, walking around, but that's just about it.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
Tormania
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
That's pretty much how I describe it now, in its current form. I didn't read the specifics yet, but are they adding a Tiffany's or something?
A Dior is coming and some other, over-priced, foreign clothiers. I'm drowning in the Pixie Dust here!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I for one am excited about the additions! In Buffalo, we don't have stores like Tiffany's, MAC, Dior, etc. So, when I go on vacation to big cities like Orlando, I like to do some shopping. With these at DTD, I don't have to inconvenience everyone to make a stop at Mall at Millenia or some other place to do some shopping. I think it will be a nice mix to have Disney items along with other things.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran

I'm not much of a shopper but I enjoy walking around in DTD. I'm excited for the changes. I find that it has felt kind of dead since PI and some other shops have gone away.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
Tbiafore
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADnNOLA View Post

There is a comment on that URL that is hilarious. "A few days ago, an unnamed source provided us with a PDF document referring to the overhaul of Downtown Disney by a project name which we will not be disclosing at this time."

They will tell you whats coming, but "we cannot disclose the project name". Seems sort of backwards to me...who cares about a project name when they are spilling the beans what is going in there. LOL.

--Thor
Tbiafore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbiafore

There is a comment on that URL that is hilarious. "A few days ago, an unnamed source provided us with a PDF document referring to the overhaul of Downtown Disney by a project name which we will not be disclosing at this time."

They will tell you whats coming, but "we cannot disclose the project name". Seems sort of backwards to me...who cares about a project name when they are spilling the beans what is going in there. LOL.

--Thor
I thought this was very funny also! I use to work for a very large well known software giant. They would spend hours in meetings coming up with a project name of the next version of their operating system. Who cares lol... Just make it work is all people care about! People don't even know the project name anyway because after naming it a famous ski resort for example they rename it when released...confused lol.
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #24
Maleficent's Dad
Married to the Red Head

WDWMagic.com is reporting that CM's have been given an overview of the new DTD, to be renamed Disney Springs.

For what it's worth, where I live, you pay to park everywhere - even shopping malls and the such. Just a fact of life here...

I also don't care much for DTD, so this announcement is no biggie to me.

Maleficent's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #25
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Whaaaaa they are getting a Trader Sam's?!?! This is the best news I have heard in a loooong time.
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #26
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbiafore View Post

--Thor
maybe the project name is something dirty or some innuendo about what disney springs is going to do to your wallet.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #27
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I've been to Trader Sam's in DL, it is basically just the Adventurers Club with a Polynesian theme and without the actors. There were even Adventurers Club props there (some of them were replicas).

It was fun and I wouldn't object to its presence but the Ad Club was better.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #28
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Moving to news and rumours board

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #29
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I've been to Trader Sam's in DL, it is basically just the Adventurers Club with a Polynesian theme and without the actors. There were even Adventurers Club props there (some of them were replicas).

It was fun and I wouldn't object to its presence but the Ad Club was better.

The fact they would be putting in something fairly similar to the AC, is probably the final nail in the coffin of anyone's hopes that it would return (not that there was much hope to begin with).

That said, it would still seem to be a step in the right direction.

ETA: Is Trader Sam's Disney owned/operated? Or is it a 3rd part establishment?

Last edited by mcd2745; 03-12-2013 at 05:57 PM.
mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #30
JoWiJo
Longing to go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormania View Post
So from what I read in the article it will be basically a high end Disney outdoor shopping mall, with some "theming." Like I don't have access to high end stores at the "malls" here. I didn't see anything "new" that would get me to want to go to DTD with this announcement.

I've never understood the draw that people have to go "shopping" while on vacation. For souvenirs and such, that's understandable. But to spend valuable WDW time shopping for fashion clothes and such.....

But I'm also a guy and as long as my shorts and t-shirt are clean I"m all good for clothes.

Fo you shoppers.....enjoy!!
I would say that it depends on how much time you plan to stay during your visit and how many times you've already visited. People like me, who don't get to go often AND who have a short trip, I totally agree. Spend time among the entertainment options instead of shopping.

But the people who go to WDW every year and those who are staying a week or so, I can see them going there just for the change of pace, keeping the variety alive.

I actually went to DTD right after check-in on my last trip there. I had lunch and relaxed before venturing over to HS for my only shot at seeing Fantasmic. It was actually a really nice way to start the vacation.
Fourth visit 2009 -- Celebrated birthday by visiting Animal Kingdom.
Next visit -- Who knows?
JoWiJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: