Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjack View Post
We cruised to Alaska in Aug 2009 on the NCL Pearl and loved it. We are a family of four and our mini suite had 2 beds (which our kids used) and DH and I used the sofa bed for the week.

It was our first family cruise, and normally we do suites when we travel to hotels, so it was a little tighter than we are used to but we really weren't in the cabins very much so we were fine.

Out travel agent got us some great discounts and credits on our mini-suite that helped to bring the overall vacation price down since we applied the credits to some of our activities.

Alaska is definitely a location where you want a balcony and for us Glacier Bay was a must so I only looked at ships that offered that in the itinerary.

We wanted a more informal type of cruise with dress & dining so NCL was a great fit for us.

Have a great time. Hope to go back some day.
I did this same cruise in 2009 as well. I agree 100%. We had a mini-suite for the 4 of us and I wouldn;t do Alaskda without a balcony. There was something so magical just sitting out there watching the eagles fly overhead.

The balcony also gives you extra room and you don't feel so closed in.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #17
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

I agree that cruisecritic is the BEST resource for these type of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Tripss View Post
Third and fourth person in a cabin rates can sometimes be quite inexpensive, less than the pp rate for the cabin at double occupancy and on many lines are consistent across cabin types.
There CAN be a big price difference, but many people do not realize that at other times there can be very little price difference, which is hwy I wanted to point it out. In the last 6 years we have never paid more than $200 total more for a week two have two cabins instead of one and have paid as little as $12 more (which, due to OC actually worked out to saving about $80).

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

Carnival Miracle does Alaska.

This is their deck plan;

http://www.carnival.com/legal/~/medi...-plan-pdf.ashx

Look for the balcony staterooms with this square:

■ 2 Twin Beds (convert to King), Single Sofa Bed and 1 Upper Pullman

Those would be best for 4 people I'd think.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

We went on the NCL Star from Seattle to Alaska. (fabulous!!!!) We had 4 in our room. 3 single beds arranged in a "U" shape against the walls (only way to go -- great for floor space!) and one drop-down "bunk" bed. Worked great! Surprisingly more room than I expected.

Good luck!!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #20
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Any ship built in about the last 15 years is going to have pretty similar sized staterooms.
When we cruised on the Disney Magic in a deluxe oceanview stateroom, I marked off 214 square feet in our family room to make sure the kids understood how small a space all 4 of use would be in for a week.
The other ships we cruised on had staterooms about 185 square feet, and while 29 square feet sound like a lot, I bet half of Disney's split bathrooms take up that much space, so the actual stateroom living space is about the same.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #21
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtquinn View Post
Researching Alaska cruises in August, trying to find prices around $800 pp with true sleeping space for two adults and two kids, ages 11 and 8.

Though I love Disney's boats, and those pull down beds, I can't afford the prices.

Any other boats with similar accommodations, priced well? Or just a pipe dream?

Thanks!
Have you considered the Alaska Marine Highway ferry service? Not as fancy as DCL, but less expensive and I bet it would be a cool way to travel to Alaska.

http://www.akferry.com/
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #22
denisem
DIS Veteran

Many years ago, we sailed the The Celebrity Millennium in one of their aft "family staterooms" which average 271 sq. ft., a split layout with sliding frosted doors between the main bed and fold outs. Another plus was the 242 sq. ft. veranda! However, you're still stuck with one bath, which may be inconvenient after utilizing DCL's split baths.

I believe they have 4 ships in the Millennium Class, some have to be going to Alaska. And I echo sentiments about a veranda in Alaska...DH called me out of the shower to see a pod of whales.
denisem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:20 AM   #23
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Royal Caribbean has rooms for four. We sailed the Radiance of the Seas in Alaska many years ago with two parents/two children. We were in a balcony stateroom for four, and it was a little more cramped than the Disney staterooms and doesn't have a split bathroom, but it was a wonderful cruise.

We since cruised Royal three more times all in one stateroom. We really enjoyed their family oceanview staterooms on the Mariner of the Seas (sailed twice). They are at the front of the ship and have porthole windows. They sleep up to six with a tiny room with bunkbeds, a pull-out couch, and a king bed. It was very spacious with the sofa bed never being made out.

And then we also sailed Royal in a junior suite on the Grandeur of the Seas. The junior suite had a pull-out couch rather than pull down bunks, but it was a larger room than a typical balcony stateroom and also had a bathroom with a full size tub.

But yes, most all cruiselines will have rooms for four. Just make sure that you put four people into your search engine because not all rooms that accommodate two will accommodate four. They also may be more cramped than Disney rooms, but check the square footage.

Then as others mentioned, it is sometimes just a little bit more expensive (sometimes less) to get connecting staterooms. If you want connecting staterooms, these have to be booked fairly far in advance because they're difficult to get since if someone chooses a stateroom that could connect but doesn't connect it, then the adjacent room is gone (for connecting), as well. Then there is also the possibility of booking a balcony stateroom for yourself and an inside stateroom for the kids across the hall if it doesn't bother you to have them in a different room than you. You can get your own key to their room so that you can check in on them, and depending on whether the room is directly across the hall or down the hall a little, you may have to assign an adult to each stateroom and then switch.

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #24
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

We sailed on Carnival, Disney and RCL(older ship) in that order. All 4 we felt were fine for 4 people in one room. Both Carnival and Disney we had a bed and the kids(16 & 12) had bunks, but on RCL we all had bunks....lol It was pretty funny, but it did make the cabin feel more spacious even though technically it was the smallest we'd sailed in. We pretty much just sleep in the cabin though.
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: