Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #31
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

No real thoughts. They love each other, provide a stable home for their kids, etc. I don't care how many or how often they have kids.

FWIW, my coworker had 4 kids in a span of 2.5 years. Her first two are 11 months apart, and then her twins came 18 months after the second kid.

She started having kids at 18 and was done in her very early 20's.

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #32
memma05
Earning My Ears

Wow! I love this thread! Its nice to read some positive comments! I actually like the duggars as a whole and respect their parenting skills and beliefs. That is not to say I live my life the same but I refuse to judge people who in my opinion have done nothing wrong and are no burden to society
memma05 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #33
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtbmom View Post
I wonder if their religion condemns birth control how will they accomplish stopping at 4 or 5?
I don't believe they actually espouse any particular religion, but they could probably be best categorized as Very Conservative Protestant Christian -- I've heard them described as "home churched". As such, birth control would not be forbidden (by anyone outside the family). They've said they believe in the "quiver full" approach to having children, but that's one belief, not a religion.

Even the Catholic church allows the rhythm method of birth control, and although it isn't nearly as effective as modern medical methods, it's more effective than nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh67_68 View Post
Looks like Michelle and Jim Bob are thinking about adoption.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-...ring-adoption/
I wonder how realistic that goal might be. They're not particularly young anymore, and adoption isn't cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Actually, our Social Security and Medicare systems could use a few new people paying in. Maybe the Duggars will help make them solvent again.

And besides. I'm sure there are al least 19 Chinese families only having one child.
If you look at the demographics of who's having children these days, you will be concerned about the future of Social Security. Middle and upper class families, those who are most likely to produce well-educated children who will go on to become society's most productive citizens and taxpayers, are having fewer and fewer children. So, yes, we do need more children who'll be self-supporting tax-payers.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #34
nathalee81
DIS Veteran

My question is where they will adopt?

China has an age requirement and doesn't allow people with a certain number of children to adopt, correct? In fact, doesn't every foreign country with adoption open to the United States (many have shut their doors to the United States, haven't they?) have some kind of rules about that?

I guess they could adopt domestically?
nathalee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #35
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
If you look at the demographics of who's having children these days, you will be concerned about the future of Social Security. Middle and upper class families, those who are most likely to produce well-educated children who will go on to become society's most productive citizens and taxpayers, are having fewer and fewer children. So, yes, we do need more children who'll be self-supporting tax-payers.
But we're talking about THIS family. And I think they instill a work ethic that will make them conbtributing members of society. I have HUGE issues with people having kids when they expect others to pay to support them. But that's apparently not the case here. So while I would never have that many kids...... it's none of my business how many they have.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #36
nathalee81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But we're talking about THIS family. And I think they instill a work ethic that will make them conbtributing members of society. I have HUGE issues with people having kids when they expect others to pay to support them. But that's apparently not the case here. So while I would never have that many kids...... it's none of my business how many they have.
While I don't care how many kids they have, I do disagree about placing your family (including your children) on national television for all to see.

If you choose to do that (and get paid for it) you open yourself to criticism. They made it EVERYONE'S business when they decided to put themselves on display for the whole world to see...
nathalee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #37
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathalee81 View Post
While I don't care how many kids they have, I do disagree about placing your family (including your children) on national television for all to see.

If you choose to do that (and get paid for it) you open yourself to criticism. They made it EVERYONE'S business when they decided to put themselves on display for the whole world to see...
That's a valid point. But I still won't criticize. Then are raising responsible kids who will apparently work hard and support themselves (just a guess on my part, I know). So more power to them.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #38
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathalee81

Exactly, they are media *****s, plain and simple. If they are going to broadcast every time one of them conceives on national tv, then people are going to make comments.

I don't think they are bad people, but their only claim to fame is how often the reproduce.

And do we know for sure that none if them get any assistance?
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #39
wendy46001
Mouseketeer
Dont get me wrong, I love all things wonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
Exactly, they are media *****s, plain and simple. If they are going to broadcast every time one of them conceives on national tv, then people are going to make comments.

I don't think they are bad people, but their only claim to fame is how often the reproduce.

While i dont agree with their belief, how they raise their children, etc etc. I agree they are media *****s and will do anything to keep their TV show (which is in the ratings toilet) going. Also it is known that they did take assistance with their youngest medical bills.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #40
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post

Wow, you feel very strongly about this. I just figure if someone doesn't like them they can just not watch their show. If enough people don't watch, then they will no longer have a show. I don't care all that much. I have seen the show, but don't go out of my way to keep up or watch every week.

But no, we don't know for a fact that none of them get assistance. I'm just making an assumption based on the bits I've seen. I'm believing the story line that they are hard working and industrious. That tends to be the sort that avoids a handout. If I see something to the contrary, then I'll change my opinion of them in a heartbeat.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #41
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy46001 View Post
While i dont agree with their belief, how they raise their children, etc etc. I agree they are media *****s and will do anything to keep their TV show (which is in the ratings toilet) going. Also it is known that they did take assistance with their youngest medical bills.
That would temper my thoughts on them. I'm curious what sort of assistance. Did they not have medical coverage for her?

I do find it pretty crazy that they even attempted more kids after their experience with the youngest. What a disservice it would be to the remaining kids if something happened to all those kids, many of whom are VERY young still.

Regardless, I continue to be amazed at the vehemence with which people condemn others who choose to have large families (this case aside).
Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #42
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That would temper my thoughts on them. I'm curious what sort of assistance. Did they not have medical coverage for her?

I do find it pretty crazy that they even attempted more kids after their experience with the youngest. What a disservice it would be to the remaining kids if something happened to all those kids, many of whom are VERY young still.

Regardless, I continue to be amazed at the vehemence with which people condemn others who choose to have large families (this case aside).
I would *assume* that they were covered by medicaid under the provision for the "medically needy". Many middle and upper middle class families qualify and use this benefit for the astronomical medical bills incurred by having an infant in the NICU. One of my dear friends and his family used it for their youngest child, who was born at 29 weeks. Their insurance actually required them to apply before they covered a dime.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #43
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker725 View Post
I would *assume* that they were covered by medicaid under the provision for the "medically needy". Many middle and upper middle class families qualify and use this benefit for the astronomical medical bills incurred by having an infant in the NICU. One of my dear friends and his family used it for their youngest child, who was born at 29 weeks. Their insurance actually required them to apply before they covered a dime.
That would change my thoughts. But I'm not willing to assume. Nor apparently am I willing to spend time googling to see if I can find the answer!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #44
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy46001 View Post
From the Today show interview. This is Meredith Viera's statement. The Duggars did not apply for Medicaid, it automatically kicked in because of the baby's weight. That would happen for anyone.
You have stated many times that you do not take government assistance and that you are proud of being financially responsible for your children. But babies who weigh less than 1,200 grams at birth are immediately Medicaid eligible. It is a Federal Law. Your NICU will have billed Medicaid for anything your insurance did not cover, which in most cases is a lot of money. A typical bill for a 25 week baby in the NICU is over $500,000. There is also a lot of essential follow-up medical care not covered by the majority of health insurances, so will you use Josie’s Medicaid to access those services?

Last edited by Robbi; 03-27-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #45
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk

Wow, you feel very strongly about this. I just figure if someone doesn't like them they can just not watch their show. If enough people don't watch, then they will no longer have a show. I don't care all that much. I have seen the show, but don't go out of my way to keep up or watch every week.

But no, we don't know for a fact that none of them get assistance. I'm just making an assumption based on the bits I've seen. I'm believing the story line that they are hard working and industrious. That tends to be the sort that avoids a handout. If I see something to the contrary, then I'll change my opinion of them in a heartbeat.

Seems like you feel pretty strongly about them, since you read so much into my post. I just made a comment about their being on tv a lot. Don't need to be a cult follower of the show to see the Duggar name popping up.

And if they don't keep reproducing themselves then the show will quickly die out. That's the whole schtick, after all .

Last edited by chobie; 03-27-2013 at 10:43 AM.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: