Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #91
kris4360
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Swift

Do you think OOP means paying cash? You use your room key/admission card as a credit card. All the charges get sent to your hotel bill. It's virtually no different that what you have to do for the DDP. Instead of paying up front, you pay at the end.

Please post your dining itinerary. Other people who want to do the deluxe plan will benefit from it.

Why would you worry if you know what your dining itinerary is? You'll know how much it costs before you go and you'll know if it's worthwhile. If you don't know when and where you'll be dining, then the DDP is worse, because you'll be worrying if you'll use it all.
I know it's worthwhile for me. I don't care how you spend your money and you shouldn't worry about how I spend mine.
kris4360 is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #92
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee View Post
I don't want to come home with a ton of credit card debt so I would rather pay for it all at once.
Assuming you don't have the money to pay for dining, which is the assumption you're making, wouldn't it be worse to pay for it sooner? That would mean you'd have to pay that interest on your credit card debt even longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee View Post
Why do you have such issues with people who like the ddp?
I don't have a problem with people who like the DDP. I have a problem with people with who make claims then avoid explaining or scream troll when pressed for an explanation.

Aside from one person who posted their 6-day itinerary of 3 adults and 1 child yielding a whopping $2.50 per person per day savings, I haven't seen much hard evidence to back up any claims of why any of the DDPs are so great.
Jonathan Swift is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #93
kevschickee
DIS Veteran
 
kevschickee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stoughton Ma
Posts: 1,183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Swift View Post
Assuming you don't have the money to pay for dining, which is the assumption you're making, wouldn't it be worse to pay for it sooner? That would mean you'd have to pay that interest on your credit card debt even longer.



I don't have a problem with people who like the DDP. I have a problem with people with who make claims then avoid explaining or scream troll when pressed for an explanation.

Aside from one person who posted their 6-day itinerary of 3 adults and 1 child yielding a whopping $2.50 per person per day savings, I haven't seen much hard evidence to back up any claims of why any of the DDPs are so great.
I don't have to assume anything. I had the money to pay for it all then so I did it. You have issues that is for sure.
__________________
Me 32 Halee 7

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #94
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane
 
J.C.&ALI'SMOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Southwest VA
Posts: 4,749

I have read through this thread with great interest. I see posters who are big fans of the plans irritated because J. Swift, and other posters, are presenting the flaws in the plans. There are flaws. Because someone is explaining what they are, does not make them a troll.

Oddly enough my DH participated in a focus group at WDW years ago about dining plan options. He ended up with a $100 gift card for his time. At that time the option he voted for was essentially the regular dining plan, one TS, one CS, and a snack, tax and tips. Fast forward a couple of years and they roll out the plan.

We are loyal Disney Parks visitors with close to 30 trips to WDW and we have also visited DLR. I love the parks/resorts but there is no way that I would pay the kind of money that the company charges for the DDP. For mediocre food. Really. I just don't think most meals are any better than average.

We have a system that works for us. We have a few TS meals and eat at some favorite places offsite. The food is better, the prices are better, we are happier. The food is not a big component of our trips. The resort and parks are our focus. DH would rather stay deluxe than eat all meals at WDW and I would too.

I personally think the DDP was a pretty good deal when it was first offered, then things were taken away and prices were raised. Some people might still get value from it, but believe me, the vast majority of guests take a loss on the plan. And the company is making a killing on it. I agree with a PP, it is a tool, just like ME, to keep guests spending all their money on property.

Another thing that make guests feel good about the plans are the awesome Disney marketing. If the ads say you will save 20% on food, then by God, it's true! Well everything WDW ads say aren't always true. And there are ways to save money, but FOR MOST GUESTS, the plans aren't it.

As far as the "paid for in advance" aspect, our trips are always paid for in advance . I don't use the plan. It is possible without the plan.
__________________

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #95
kevschickee
DIS Veteran
 
kevschickee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stoughton Ma
Posts: 1,183

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.&ALI'SMOM View Post
I have read through this thread with great interest. I see posters who are big fans of the plans irritated because J. Swift, and other posters, are presenting the flaws in the plans. There are flaws. Because someone is explaining what they are, does not make them a troll.

Oddly enough my DH participated in a focus group at WDW years ago about dining plan options. He ended up with a $100 gift card for his time. At that time the option he voted for was essentially the regular dining plan, one TS, one CS, and a snack, tax and tips. Fast forward a couple of years and they roll out the plan.

We are loyal Disney Parks visitors with close to 30 trips to WDW and we have also visited DLR. I love the parks/resorts but there is no way that I would pay the kind of money that the company charges for the DDP. For mediocre food. Really. I just don't think most meals are any better than average.

We have a system that works for us. We have a few TS meals and eat at some favorite places offsite. The food is better, the prices are better, we are happier. The food is not a big component of our trips. The resort and parks are our focus. DH would rather stay deluxe than eat all meals at WDW and I would too.

I personally think the DDP was a pretty good deal when it was first offered, then things were taken away and prices were raised. Some people might still get value from it, but believe me, the vast majority of guests take a loss on the plan. And the company is making a killing on it. I agree with a PP, it is a tool, just like ME, to keep guests spending all their money on property.

Another thing that make guests feel good about the plans are the awesome Disney marketing. If the ads say you will save 20% on food, then by God, it's true! Well everything WDW ads say aren't always true. And there are ways to save money, but FOR MOST GUESTS, the plans aren't it.

As far as the "paid for in advance" aspect, our trips are always paid for in advance . I don't use the plan. It is possible without the plan.
Not irritated that J. Swift is pointing out the "flaws" I am irritated that J seems to think everyone who likes it must be wrong or stupid. Does it work for everyone nope but it works for some.
__________________
Me 32 Halee 7

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #96
kris4360
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 522

I know I could save money without the plan, I know I'm not saving 20%. I still love the dining plan, but I also plan my trip around the food.
kris4360 is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #97
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane
 
J.C.&ALI'SMOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Southwest VA
Posts: 4,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee View Post
Not irritated that J. Swift is pointing out the "flaws" I am irritated that J seems to think everyone who likes it must be wrong or stupid. Does it work for everyone nope but it works for some.

I didn't read him saying anyone was wrong or stupid. The question asked was is the plan worth it. To fully answer that both good points and bad should be discussed so folks can make up their own minds. It's just debating. I'm not sure why you choose to use quotation marks around flaws. Does that mean you think there are none?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4360 View Post
I know I could save money without the plan, I know I'm not saving 20%. I still love the dining plan, but I also plan my trip around the food.
Great! I love good food. If that was the focus of my trip I would probably choose a different destination. There are much better places to eat at much better prices.

See, the money saving part of trips are very important to me because we travel relatively often and if I can go for a lower cost then I can take another trip sooner. That is why we like to buy APs. Room discounts make it easier to return as well.
__________________

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #98
bdklein
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a House
Posts: 1,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee

Not irritated that J. Swift is pointing out the "flaws" I am irritated that J seems to think everyone who likes it must be wrong or stupid. Does it work for everyone nope but it works for some.
No perhaps just some people must be stupid or wrong.

Last edited by bdklein; 04-17-2013 at 08:55 AM.
bdklein is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #99
bdklein
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a House
Posts: 1,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee

I don't have to assume anything. I had the money to pay for it all then so I did it. You have issues that is for sure.
When you used the word debt you implied you don't have the money to pay for trip, in some people's opinion. And perhaps you shouldn't take personal shots at people? That's not very Disneyish nor very mature. Telling people they have issues? You seem to be going tit for tat with anyone who posts here who differs with you. Perhaps the pot calling the kettle black?
bdklein is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #100
kris4360
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein

When you used the word debt you implied you don't have the money to pay for trip, in some people's opinion. And perhaps you shouldn't take personal shots at people? That's not very Disneyish nor very mature. Telling people they have issues? You seem to be going tit for tat with anyone who posts here who differs with you. Perhaps the pot calling the kettle black?
Are you kidding??? It is J. Swift going tit for tat as you call it.
kris4360 is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #101
kris4360
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.&ALI'SMOM

I didn't read him saying anyone was wrong or stupid. The question asked was is the plan worth it. To fully answer that both good points and bad should be discussed so folks can make up their own minds. It's just debating. I'm not sure why you choose to use quotation marks around flaws. Does that mean you think there are none?

Great! I love good food. If that was the focus of my trip I would probably choose a different destination. There are much better places to eat at much better prices.

See, the money saving part of trips are very important to me because we travel relatively often and if I can go for a lower cost then I can take another trip sooner. That is why we like to buy APs. Room discounts make it easier to return as well.
And that is great for you! But I go for different reasons and you shouldn't let that bother you so much.
kris4360 is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #102
kevschickee
DIS Veteran
 
kevschickee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stoughton Ma
Posts: 1,183

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4360

Are you kidding??? It is J. Swift going tit for tat as you call it.
Thank you!!!
__________________
Me 32 Halee 7

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #103
kevschickee
DIS Veteran
 
kevschickee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stoughton Ma
Posts: 1,183

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein

When you used the word debt you implied you don't have the money to pay for trip, in some people's opinion. And perhaps you shouldn't take personal shots at people? That's not very Disneyish nor very mature. Telling people they have issues? You seem to be going tit for tat with anyone who posts here who differs with you. Perhaps the pot calling the kettle black?
It's not me who has something to say every time someone posts something good about the ddp. J seems to thinks it's his job to "correct" everyone.
__________________
Me 32 Halee 7

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #104
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't
 
goofyintoronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 9,286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Swift View Post
Assuming you don't have the money to pay for dining, which is the assumption you're making, wouldn't it be worse to pay for it sooner? That would mean you'd have to pay that interest on your credit card debt even longer.

>>>who says everyone uses a credit card?? some people use the credit card then pay it off right away. When I book a trip, i pay everything in one shot. No credit card debt!

I don't have a problem with people who like the DDP. I have a problem with people with who make claims then avoid explaining or scream troll when pressed for an explanation.

Aside from one person who posted their 6-day itinerary of 3 adults and 1 child yielding a whopping $2.50 per person per day savings, I haven't seen much hard evidence to back up any claims of why any of the DDPs are so great.
The DP is great for us because we like one TS per day, no more. We dont like appetizers at all. But we love dessert. Without the DP, i've spend a fortune on dining. I've tried both, and the DP definitely works best for us. Thats not hard to believe is it?
__________________
I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!



........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........







AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #105
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't
 
goofyintoronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 9,286

Lol Ya i noticed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee View Post
It's not me who has something to say every time someone posts something good about the ddp. J seems to thinks it's his job to "correct" everyone.
__________________
I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!



........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........







AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.