Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #16
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath2003
Virgin's prices are nuts. They wanted over £1000 direct for our dates; we paid marginally over £400 indirect (an additional 5 hours travelling time total for us when you include the reduced time travelling to and from the UK airport and the time saved by immigration at the first stop). School holiday prices too (admittedly Easter, and economy).
Is that 5 hours in total or each way? It's the travelling time that puts me off.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Is that 5 hours in total or each way? It's the travelling time that puts me off.
For us, in total. I think it actually adds 8 hours overall but we "gain" that time back in other ways (Heathrow rather than Gatwick saves us an hour in each direction, and then you clear immigration at your first stop so that hour doesn't add any additional time to your travelling as you would have to do it at Orlando anyway). We also like clearing immigration at our first stop and just walking out of the airport on arrival (with good timing, we can be at our hotel within an hour of hitting the ground). Even if it were 8 hours, though, that's a saving of £100'per person per hour for us (4 of us, so £3,200 over VA prices). Put it this way - our flights PLUS hotel cost less than half the cost of a VA flight.

Ultimately, very few people enjoy travelling - it sucks. But 14 hours doesn't suck much more than 10 hours in the grand scheme of things - in both scenarios, you arrive tired, fed up, needing a shower and a decent meal. We find that it does break up the flight a bit, too. Plus, you leave earlier on the last day which we always found was a "clock watching" day and by then we just wanted to get home anyway. Oh and you can get dinner at the airport during your connection on the return flight, before boarding the transatlantic leg on the way home - so no need to eat on the plane (food always awful on the way back) and you can get straight to sleep.

It works for us, and means we can afford to keep going, anyway. But, we don't have kids, we don't care about travelling in cattle class, we don't care about IFE (buy a book a the airport, anything in the plane is a bonus) or special requests or the quality of the meal in flight (hint: it's consistently awful) or baggage allowances or twilight check in or any of the things many other people here seem to worry about. We accept that travelling sucks and make the best of it. It's being there that counts for us.

Last edited by Kath2003; 03-12-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Kath2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath2003 View Post
but we "gain" that time back in other ways (Heathrow rather than Gatwick saves us an hour in each direction, and then you clear immigration at your first stop so that hour doesn't add any additional time to your travelling as you would have to do it at Orlando anyway). We also like clearing immigration at our first stop and just walking out of the airport on arrival (with good timing, we can be at our hotel within an hour of hitting the ground). Even if it were 8 hours, though, that's a saving of £100'per person per hour for us (4 of us, so £3,200 over VA prices). Put it this way - our flights PLUS hotel cost less than half the cost of a VA flight.

But 14 hours doesn't suck much more than 10 hours in the grand scheme of things
What she said

We really prefer indirect. Even with a slightly longer layover, certain routes break the trip into two manageable chunks instead of one long one. For example, going with United via EWR was just over a 6 hour flight, we cleared immigration really quickly, did a quick bag drop, had time for a snack and something to drink before boarding a 2 1/2 hour flight to MCO where we just walked off the plane with the domestic travellers ... and it cost us just over half the price of what VA and BA were quoting for the same dates. Given the choice of direct and indirect for the same price, I'd be inclined to go with indirect.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
What she said

We really prefer indirect. Even with a slightly longer layover, certain routes break the trip into two manageable chunks instead of one long one. For example, going with United via EWR was just over a 6 hour flight, we cleared immigration really quickly, did a quick bag drop, had time for a snack and something to drink before boarding a 2 1/2 hour flight to MCO where we just walked off the plane with the domestic travellers ... and it cost us just over half the price of what VA and BA were quoting for the same dates. Given the choice of direct and indirect for the same price, I'd be inclined to go with indirect.

We need to be Team Indirect. I don't think I would ever pay more than £100 each extra to fly direct. The benefits aren't worth it, especially given the reported immigration times at MCO lately...
Old 03-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #20
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

Well I agree with you about food, twilight check in etc, etc not been a good reason to fly direct. I also fly economy. Flew PE once and I think it's 'the Emperors new clothes' so its not that either. It's just the time. The kids loathe the 9 hour flights so I've never even considered indirect. However, whilst I can still afford Virgin direct I'm starting to object on principle. And the kids are older now. Still flying Virgin this summer but will start to at least explore indirect for 2014 I think. Bit daunting I know nothing about it!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #21
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath2003 View Post

We need to be Team Indirect. I don't think I would ever pay more than £100 each extra to fly direct. The benefits aren't worth it, especially given the reported immigration times at MCO lately...
I totally agree. I'm actually worried about seeing cheaper direct flight prices that would compel me to endure that immigration queue
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
queendisney
DIS Veteran

personally I would always pay say an extra £100 extra to fly direct anyday. I think the difference in how much extra time it takes it's well worth that. BUT I would start to re-think if it starts getting into the £200+ each range.

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #23
mickg7dyd
DIS Veteran

Hi,
It always makes me smile when people talk about "indirect flights"
VA & BA offer non-stop flights. Other airlines such as Delta or United offer direct flights.
As the term suggests a non-stop flight goes from A to B with no stops. A direct flight goes from A to B with stops in between.

Mick.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.!
mickg7dyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #24
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickg7dyd View Post
Hi,
It always makes me smile when people talk about "indirect flights"
VA & BA offer non-stop flights. Other airlines such as Delta or United offer direct flights.
As the term suggests a non-stop flight goes from A to B with no stops. A direct flight goes from A to B with stops in between.

Mick.
It's not direct - it doesn't go DIRECTLY to your destination?!? Furthermore, it's not exactly just a case of "stopping" - you get off of one flight (plane and flight number) and then on to an entirely different plane/flight number?!?

The term indirect is used by almost every travel agent and online booking site, plus comparison sites such as Skyscanner In fact, many of these sites ask if you if you "prefer direct" (i.e. prefer non-stop)?!?

I can't imagine why anyone would use the term direct for a flight that is not? Would you call it a direct train if you had to change half way there? What about a bus where you got off one bus and then on another?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:49 AM   #25
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

Agree
Old 03-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
starrysky
DIS Veteran

Aer lingus have been great the three previous trips we have taken with them. Flights on time and service great. Clearing immigration in Dublin saves so much time.
The extra leg room seats are great as well plenty of room.
We looked at virgin and ba but the prices are just ridiculous this year. It's still cheaper to fly PE from Scotland than standard economy! Still over our budget.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #27
cheryl.UK
DIS Veteran

looking into indirect with aerlingus

Can anyone give me details on the food and entertainment?

If it takes indirect for us to be able to afford it, then indirect it is.
95 I Drive, 95/96 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 96 All Star Sports, 99/00 Courtyard by Marriott, 2001 Villa, 2001 DLP Hotel New York, 2003 One Big Blow Out! 5 weeks of Disney and a drive up to New Orleans , 2005 Wyndham Palace Hotel and Spa , 2005 DLP Sequoia Lodge, ,2006 Hong Kong Disney , 2006 Buena Vista Palace and Poly 2009 SSR, Key West, Miami, Royal Pacific Resort, Polynesian, 2010 SSR, RPR, BLT and the Poly!!!! 2012 SSR,RP, Miami, GF and BLT, 2013 SSR, 2014 OKW
cheryl.UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #28
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl.UK View Post
looking into indirect with aerlingus

Can anyone give me details on the food and entertainment?

If it takes indirect for us to be able to afford it, then indirect it is.
You have to pay extra for the food if you want it. Not something I would consider, we would rather eat before boarding or take our own food unless flying business class.
No idea about entertainment, I just listen to my own music and sleep.
Hopefully someone will post who has already tried their service.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #29
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

I am seriously considering Aer Lingus next year and was looking at their in flight entertainment today.It seems to me to be the same as VA.Only down side is it only flies on a tuesdays and a saturdays which may be an issue for us.
Heres the link to the entertainment pagehttp://www.aerlingus.com/inflight-experience/comfort-and-entertainment/longhaul/
Old 03-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #30
Disney Burns
Earning My Ears

Hey,

We are flying Aer Lingus for the second time in September this year and we can't fault them! We are flying Glasgow- Dublin, Dublin - Orlando!

Admittedly my husband hates the Glasgow Dublin flight (he calls the plane a 'puddle jumper'😂😃 thinks the pilot uses an elastic band to wind the propeller up lol)

However the Dublin Orlando flight is good, seats are comfy enough not the roomiest but will do! Bigger advantage is that each seat has its on personal TV screen, with access to loads of movies, music, tv shows and games or you can just watch the map showing you how long is left!! You get 1 in flight meal and 1 snack included in the price although you can pay and pre order from a 'chefs menu' (¬15-17) the standard meal is nice enough think it was chicken curry last time nothing spectacular but edible. You also get complimentary soft drinks throughout the flight (never realised this until too late last time lol)

Also from this summer all long haul flights will have sockets under seats for chargers plugs etc and access to wifi!!!!!!! Sadly wifi is only free in business class or can be bought for a small fee in economy (funnily enough this price hasn't been realised yet?!!)

Sorry for the long winded post but lots to share

Jenn xx
Disney Burns is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: