Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Anyone with experience with arthritis prescription meds?

I've got arthritis in my lower back and now my feet, per my doctor. Thus far, I've managed with Aleve and ibuprofin, non-prescription. However, unfortunately, especially my feet seem to be feeling more painful and I'm wondering about prescription meds (the only name I know is Cymbalta). I definitely don't want narcotic pain meds-besides, the discomfort isn't THAT bad! Anyone with experience taking regular meds for arthritis, and if so, what did you think?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
ohiomom28
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom
I've got arthritis in my lower back and now my feet, per my doctor. Thus far, I've managed with Aleve and ibuprofin, non-prescription. However, unfortunately, especially my feet seem to be feeling more painful and I'm wondering about prescription meds (the only name I know is Cymbalta). I definitely don't want narcotic pain meds-besides, the discomfort isn't THAT bad! Anyone with experience taking regular meds for arthritis, and if so, what did you think?
I am on Naproxen as needed. Its just prescription-strength Aleve. Cymbalta is an anti-depressant/anxiety med. It is also used for osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using DISBoards
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

Are you sure it's arthritis in your feet and not a foot problem-plantar fasciitis? I have osteo-arthristis in my thumbs and lower back. The ONLY thing that relieves my pain is taking fish oil and eliminating sugar from my diet. Advil actually causes swelling which then presses on my lower back. SUgar causes swelling. Ever since I cut sugar, no more back pain!

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

I have severe psoriatic arthritis in my feet and hands. I take a prescription NSAID, plus Plaquenil and Enbrel, a weekly injection. I was nearly crippled with the arthritis before we found the right med cocktail. Have you seek a rheumatologist yet? Perhaps you should. My general doctor wasn't as knowledgeable as the rheumatologist.

Even with all the meds, I have to take 1or2hot soaking baths every day, just to loosen up the joints in my feet and hands.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

I have been on Celebrex, Daypro and am now on Mobic. I would try the Mobic before I would try Cymbalta. I am pretty sure its covered by most insurance and even if its not, its pretty inexpensive.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

Mobic is naproxen with a stomach buffer (so it doesn't bother the stomach as much as over the counter stuff). I'm thinking you probably didn't mean Cymbalta. Celebrex is a sulfa-based drug, so if you have sulfa allergies (like I do), don't even try it. I still mourn the loss of Vioxx. I too have arthritis in my foot (and yes, it's different than plantar fasciitis, which I have also had).

One thing that helps -- non-med thing -- is the right shoes -- the orthopedic surgeon suggested New Balance Rollbar shoes. My problem is the plates behind the toes growing together -- the Rollbar shoes have a steel bar running through them so the shoes don't bend on the ball of the foot - the toe is raised slightly so you roll off the toes rather than bend your foot. They're expensive ($130) and fairly ugly, but they've been a lifesaver for me. You can only get them at New Balance stores or online (not at Kohl's or other discounters).

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I've taken about every NSAID available for my arthritis for years. I do also take narcotic pain relievers, sometimes the NSAIDs upset my stomach so bad, I have to take a break from them for some relief. I know Cymbalta is being used for pain relief (but was initially marketed for as an anti-depressant), but I don't believe it is an anti-inflammatory. So far, Celebrex has been the most effective for myself.

Arthritis usually responds better to ice, vs heat, though heat does feel more comforting, ice relieves swelling induced by inflammation. Meds like Enbrel and Humira are TNF blockers which help specifically with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I'd see a Rheumatologist and find out what type of Arthritis you have (there are many, many types) and together figure out what type of meds are best for you. My Rheumatologist wanted me to take Humira, but I don't have Rheumatoid arthritis, but I do have "flare ups" a couple times a year, where multiple joints act up at the same time. I chose, myself, to take Prednisone during these episodes, since they don't occur often, vs Humira which has some multiple horrible possible side-effects. Though Humira can be a life-saver for some types of Arthritis

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

Have you been to a rheumatologist? If not, you should go to one. What kind of arthritis do you have, Osteo or Rheumatoid?
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

I have RA and it took a while to get the medicine combination right. I've tried Methotrexate, Lefluenomide, and Humira (injections). Right now the combination of Sulfasalazine and Enbrel (injection) is working.

I am on my third Rheumatologist. The first two stunk. This one is awesome.
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Tea Party View Post
I have RA and it took a while to get the medicine combination right. I've tried Methotrexate, Lefluenomide, and Humira (injections). Right now the combination of Sulfasalazine and Enbrel (injection) is working.

I am on my third Rheumatologist. The first two stunk. This one is awesome.
It's hard to find a good Rheumatologist!! I had the same Rheumatologist for 8 years in Missouri and absolutely loved him, when I came to CO, it was hard to find a good "fit". The first one wouldn't even look me in the eye (he always looked at the wall when talking to me) and poo-poo'd any suggestions I had regarding my care. I was finally able to find a Rheumatologist that actually listened to me. I've been bone on bone on my knees for years and was told four years ago that I was a candidate for knee replacement any time I decided I was having more bad days than good. I decided that it "was time", and the Rheumatologist told me I was "too young". What, too young to enjoy my life and walk like normal? My quality of life totally stunk, I couldn't go for long walks, had to do ECV at Disney, couldn't dance, and barely could make it up the stairs.

My new Rheumatologist sent me to an Orthopedic Surgeon as soon as he saw my X-rays. I'm happy to say I now have two brand new knees and a new lease on life!! I'm 53, but who knows how long i'll be on this earth. I didn't want to waste my life sitting on the side-lines waiting till I'm 62 to get new knees! I'm so glad I found a Rheumatologist that knew quality of life is important

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
wowsmom
DIS Veteran

I have OA in my lower back, knees, hands and hip. My doctor prescribed Mobic (meloxicam), but doesn't want me taking it daily. He says it's too hard on the stomach.

I find it helps with my back pain, but doesn't touch the knee or hand pain. Can't say if it helps the hip pain, as my hip usually starts hurting late at night and when you take Mobic, you have to take it with food and stay upright for 30 minutes.

I'd love to hear of other things that have helped other people. I've been trying to exercise (walk on treadmill) daily but some days, it is very hard to get on there! My rheumy just tells me "lose weight and exercise!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23 View Post
Mobic is naproxen with a stomach buffer (so it doesn't bother the stomach as much as over the counter stuff).
Mobic is actually meloxicam, not a form of naproxen. Similar in that they are both NSAIDS.
wowsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVALASKA View Post
Are you sure it's arthritis in your feet and not a foot problem-plantar fasciitis? I have osteo-arthristis in my thumbs and lower back. The ONLY thing that relieves my pain is taking fish oil and eliminating sugar from my diet. Advil actually causes swelling which then presses on my lower back. SUgar causes swelling. Ever since I cut sugar, no more back pain!
Yes, I'm sure it's arthritis-after a recent foot problem, my doctor sent me for an Xray. Apparently, it showed some arthritis. It's interesting you mentioned sugar. I have such a sweet tooth, and I admit that I probably eat too many sweets. Maybe I should at least cut down-then if the pain decreases, that might give me the motivation to give it up entirely.

Oh, and the arthritis is osteoarthritis. I'm interested in hearing about the Mobic. Thanks! I'd never heard of that before. Any more recommendations?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #13
wowsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I have such a sweet tooth, and I admit that I probably eat too many sweets. Maybe I should at least cut down-then if the pain decreases, that might give me the motivation to give it up entirely.
It's just SOOOO hard to give up sugar! I have a major sweet tooth. Have had my whole life.
wowsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #14
LisaR

I know it doesn't address the medicine question, but have you tried physical therapy? I have severe arthritis in my shoulder and elbow (plus other issues with my shoulder). I have minor arthritis in my back. I did the physical therapy for my shoulder/elbow and the improvement is beyond amazing. On top of that, the therapy greatly reduced my back pain and that wasn't even what we were focusing on. Of course, I have to be religious in keeping up the exercises at home now to keep the pain at bay and to remain limber. Hope you are able to find some relief.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #15
RNMOM
BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL

I have OA in both knees for a long time and now also have psoriatic in my hands and feet and sacroiliac joints. I also have taken methotrexate for the past 6 years with good results. I take Plaquenil and effexor which is an antidepressant and in the same catagory as Cymbalta. I am highly allergic to sulfa so that limits a couple drugs. I also have borderline high liver enzymes so my doctor won't try any of the biologicals like Humira or Enbrel. I was comfortable on Aleve or motrin but my stomach began hurting. I got good relief from Darvocet but that was taken off the market so now I take one Vicodin a day, usually at bedtime since getting comfortable for sleep is my biggest issue. I also have Fibromyalgia and take flexaril for that. It works well.

I recently had very low white cell counts on my monthly blood work so we had to reduce my methotrexate dose by 1/3. I am having a bit more pain in my hands especially but that's the way it goes.

I have a woman rheumatologist. Frankly, I usually don't seek out women doctors in particular but women get much more immune diseases and I think she really gets "it". I really love her and the office. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
RNMOM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: