Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
zekie20
Earning My Ears

Walt Disney Essay

Hello everybody!

I am new to DIS boards and I am a huge disney fan! I'm so glad I found a whole community of people that share my obsession with me! Anyways, as a class project on innovators, I, of course, chose Walt Disney as my innovator. What are some interesting things to talk about in my essay about his personal life and childhood?
zekie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekie20 View Post
Hello everybody!

I am new to DIS boards and I am a huge disney fan! I'm so glad I found a whole community of people that share my obsession with me! Anyways, as a class project on innovators, I, of course, chose Walt Disney as my innovator. What are some interesting things to talk about in my essay about his personal life and childhood?
How he did his own homework?

Seriously, there are lots of great books on Walt, starting here. YouTube the "One Man's Dream" video, too. Good luck.
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
zekie20
Earning My Ears

Thank you very much! The youtube videos and books were just what I needed to do my OWN homework.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Ember
I've also crazy glued myself to many things
I'm calling it a victory. At least until next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praying Colonel

How he did his own homework?

Seriously, there are lots of great books on Walt, starting here. YouTube the "One Man's Dream" video, too. Good luck.
Why is asking for ideas not doing your own homework? We weren't asked to write the paper, or even come up with the thesis. Just what we thought was interesting as a starting off point. People always seem to have a comment at hand when asked for homework help, but I've never understood why. As a Disney board the question seems very reasonable to my mind. Good luck OP!
Ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember View Post
Why is asking for ideas not doing your own homework? We weren't asked to write the paper, or even come up with the thesis. Just what we thought was interesting as a starting off point. People always seem to have a comment at hand when asked for homework help, but I've never understood why. As a Disney board the question seems very reasonable to my mind. Good luck OP!
Because he should write about what HE thinks is interesting, and use his own thoughts. People should do their own homework, not get the ideas from random people on a message board.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
zekie20
Earning My Ears

Okeydokey, I already have my paper put together and have found all the information I need on my own. I was just asking if anyone had a collection of any additional facts or interesting information I hadn't already known about. And I didn't mean to create a so called "heated" discussion. I was just hoping for some people who were willing to share some of their disney knowledge with me.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Luv2Scrap
The only way is if you have the Gypsy
Y'all are going to get me in so much trouble with my supervisor!
The new baby was much more interactive

I just did a paper on The Walt Disney Company for my Macroeconomics class, and one of the things I found very interesting is that Mickey Mouse was created after the rights for his character "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit" were stolen from him in 1928. Also, he went bankrupt one time and came close several other times. But he never gave up... and here we are today!

You might find some useful tidbits here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000370/bio
Nov '09 Pop - free dining
Aug '10 CSR - Free dining and BCV for our first DVC trip home!
Jan '12 CSR - Free dining
Luv2Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

I don't mean to pick on you OP, but there are many posts here from parents asking for help with their kid's homework. As someone who has worked in education it is a pet peeve of mine. Teachers would rather you do the best you can do on a project, rather then have someone do the work for you. I see you have already done the work, so I apologize for jumping to conclusions.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I think it is just how the request was worded. If OP asked for resources to find facts, people wouldn't have jumped on it.

As it was written, it sounded like OP wanted us to provide the facts so he/she wouldn't have to.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
zekie20
Earning My Ears

Yes, you're right. Now that I look back on it, I really need to think before I type anything here on the DIS boards.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Okeydokey, I already have my paper put together and have found all the information I need on my own. I was just asking if anyone had a collection of any additional facts or interesting information I hadn't already known about. And I didn't mean to create a so called "heated" discussion. I was just hoping for some people who were willing to share some of their disney knowledge with me.
Well ... it's kind of hard for people to do that when they don't know what you already know!

You say that you already have your paper put together and have found all the indo you need on your own, but your OP says, "What are some interesting things to talk about in my essay about his personal life and childhood?" That kind of makes it sound like you haven't started and are looking for other people to tell you stuff for your paper.

Remember that while YOU know what you already have on paper and YOU know what kind of stuff you're looking for still, all WE know is what you tell us.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the site of the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. They have a lot of fun Walt Disney stuff that doesn't always show up in other places.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
zekie20
Earning My Ears

Quite frankly, with the comments and feedback I have gotten off only my FIRST post, I think I'll stick to just reading other people's posts.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, you're right. Now that I look back on it, I really need to think before I type anything here on the DIS boards.
Hopefully you think before you type anything anywhere!

Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quite frankly, with the comments and feedback I have gotten off only my FIRST post, I think I'll stick to just reading other people's posts.
OK ... maybe after reading a bunch of posts, you'll get a better feel for what makes a good opening post and you'll give it another shot.

Seems a shame to write off an entire board full of folks because of comments you got on one post from a half-dozen people. Learn from it, and try again. We've ALL been there!

Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Quote:
Didn't get much of a welcome so far, huh? I guess first impressions can make a very big difference. Not everyone here is judgmental and snarky. Give this thread and the Dis time and another try. There is a few people on here who are well known for their not so pleasant comments.

The one comment that always intrigued me that I heard was said about Walt was that he had once been accused of not having an imagination, funny huh? There are so many interesting facts about Walt Disney. Just look around this board and you will find all sorts of interesting facts. Good luck.
Plus by the way Welcome to the Dis.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: