Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #16
Mickey527
DIS Veteran

I had a lap band placed in 2009 more for health issues than weight loss although I did need to had high blood pressure, fatty liver, pre-diabetic, cancer in 2004 and was overweight. I tried many diets but because of my neuropathy I couldn't exercise. Every time I got about a block away from the house my legs would go numb and I couldn't walk home.
I had to see a nutritionist and psychologist before my surgery in addition to my general physician, and my cardiologist. I saw the nutritionist a few times more on my own to get some good information on how to plan a good diet with the proper nutrients.
I lost 85 lbs with my lap band and have kept it off since 2009. I did gain 5 lbs on my last trip to WDW but it will be gone soon. My band is empty and has been empty since 2010. when the band was new I had .5 cc, then 1 cc after 2 months and at 6 months I went up to 2 cc. That was as high as I did go because I was able to lose with the food I was eating.
Once I lost the weight and learned what and how much to eat I was able to keep the weight off without the band doing it for me. And I did it all without exercising since I couldn't do much. My exercise consists of walking around my back yard and circling my house because if my legs go numb I can sit in my yard for as long as I need.
I went from a size 20 to a size 6 although I have been wearing size 8 latemy because they feel more comfortable although I haven't gained weight. I wish I could walk more and work on tightening these thighs but size 6-8 thighs are much better than size 20 thighs....
I eat cake and cookies, ice cream and alcohol when I want but I know what is an acceptable amount and what I can eat to keep the weight I am. Before my lap band and the education I got I know which foods I can eat to stay healthier and which to eat occasionally when I want to splurge.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #17
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey527 View Post
I had a lap band placed in 2009 more for health issues than weight loss although I did need to had high blood pressure, fatty liver, pre-diabetic, cancer in 2004 and was overweight. I tried many diets but because of my neuropathy I couldn't exercise. Every time I got about a block away from the house my legs would go numb and I couldn't walk home.
I had to see a nutritionist and psychologist before my surgery in addition to my general physician, and my cardiologist. I saw the nutritionist a few times more on my own to get some good information on how to plan a good diet with the proper nutrients.
I lost 85 lbs with my lap band and have kept it off since 2009. I did gain 5 lbs on my last trip to WDW but it will be gone soon. My band is empty and has been empty since 2010. when the band was new I had .5 cc, then 1 cc after 2 months and at 6 months I went up to 2 cc. That was as high as I did go because I was able to lose with the food I was eating.
Once I lost the weight and learned what and how much to eat I was able to keep the weight off without the band doing it for me. And I did it all without exercising since I couldn't do much. My exercise consists of walking around my back yard and circling my house because if my legs go numb I can sit in my yard for as long as I need.
I went from a size 20 to a size 6 although I have been wearing size 8 latemy because they feel more comfortable although I haven't gained weight. I wish I could walk more and work on tightening these thighs but size 6-8 thighs are much better than size 20 thighs....
I eat cake and cookies, ice cream and alcohol when I want but I know what is an acceptable amount and what I can eat to keep the weight I am. Before my lap band and the education I got I know which foods I can eat to stay healthier and which to eat occasionally when I want to splurge.
Congratulations, that's fantastic!!!!
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #18
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

I have a cousin who had gastric bypass when she was a teenager and she didn't change her ways so it didn't work and she's heavier than ever with multiple health issues.

There is a lady I see daily walking who had it done and she swears by it. She has lost over 130 pounds with it. Her only complaint now is all the extra skin.

I personally have lost over 100 pounds by just changing what I put in my mouth and watching and counting calories. My brother even asked me if I would consider the surgery.

Good luck with your decision.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
wvjules
DIS Veteran

If you have to follow such a strict diet afterwards, why not just follow the diet now and avoid having a major surgery?
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #20
Mickey'sMainMami
I love playing video games!!
I also love playing with my nephew's toys!

I researched the lapband about 2.5 years ago. I was really pushing for it, I didn't want anything invasive and was scared to death of surgery. I asked around and found a great surgeon, he gave me all my options, told me he would give me whatever I wanted but told me the results are not great with the lapband.

I ended up going with the gastric sleeve. I love my decision and have lost 105 pounds in a year. This has been the best thing I have ever done for myself as I battled with my weight my entire life. I also watched my mom, brother, grandparents, uncle battle their weight too, so I knew willpower alone was not going to be enough for me.

People will tell you all sorts of horror stories of people they know who died from weight loss surgery. I personally know 8 people who have had either bypass or the sleeve and all have come out fine. Are there risks involved, yes, but you also have to tell yourself that it is the population of people who are getting the surgeries who already have major underlying medical issues which is why a lot of them have complications. Most ppl are already dealing with hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, etc...before undergoing a major surgery, so of course their rate for complications may be higher, but it would be if they were to have any surgery. I was a healthy 34 year old who was just 100+ overweight, so my risks were lower. Also, find a good, experienced surgeon and do your research on them, complications can also be from an inexperienced surgeon, so do your homework on them!

Don't be discouraged by ppl who tell you it might be the easy way out, those that mostly say that are the ones who have never dealt with being overweight ever in their lives and have no idea the struggle. This has been the best thing I have ever done for myself, I wish I had done it 15 years ago! I am the sleeve's biggest supporter and would encourage anyone who has struggled with their weight to research the surgery.

Good luck in whatever you decide and if you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me!
Mickey'sMainMami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
Goofy'slady
Life is short so I save for Disney trips and Coach purses!

No, the lap band may not be the procedure for you if you would like to or need to lose that amount of weight. I work for the bariatric decision at UMMC and the head of bariatrics.

I tell ppl all the time that the most the average and notice I said average (there are always exceptions) is 30-60 lbs. Find out what your current BMI is by multiplying your weight and your height. Once you find out that you'll have a better idea of which procedure is best for you.

Personally ppl don't realize that you have to be religious about your office visits to have the band adjustments. No adjustments no real weight loss its that simple.

Look into the sleeve or bypass which frankly will probably be your best bet. It's major surgery but the bypass gives the best results that and following you new postoperative lifestyle...not diet.

Me, BF, DD14, DD7
Goofy'slady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #22
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy'slady View Post
No, the lap band may not be the procedure for you if you would like to or need to lose that amount of weight. I work for the bariatric decision at UMMC and the head of bariatrics.

I tell ppl all the time that the most the average and notice I said average (there are always exceptions) is 30-60 lbs. Find out what your current BMI is by multiplying your weight and your height. Once you find out that you'll have a better idea of which procedure is best for you.

Personally ppl don't realize that you have to be religious about your office visits to have the band adjustments. No adjustments no real weight loss its that simple.

Look into the sleeve or bypass which frankly will probably be your best bet. It's major surgery but the bypass gives the best results that and following you new postoperative lifestyle...not diet.
Your BMI is not your weight times your height
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #23
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sMainMami View Post
I researched the lapband about 2.5 years ago. I was really pushing for it, I didn't want anything invasive and was scared to death of surgery. I asked around and found a great surgeon, he gave me all my options, told me he would give me whatever I wanted but told me the results are not great with the lapband.

I ended up going with the gastric sleeve. I love my decision and have lost 105 pounds in a year. This has been the best thing I have ever done for myself as I battled with my weight my entire life. I also watched my mom, brother, grandparents, uncle battle their weight too, so I knew willpower alone was not going to be enough for me.

People will tell you all sorts of horror stories of people they know who died from weight loss surgery. I personally know 8 people who have had either bypass or the sleeve and all have come out fine. Are there risks involved, yes, but you also have to tell yourself that it is the population of people who are getting the surgeries who already have major underlying medical issues which is why a lot of them have complications. Most ppl are already dealing with hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, etc...before undergoing a major surgery, so of course their rate for complications may be higher, but it would be if they were to have any surgery. I was a healthy 34 year old who was just 100+ overweight, so my risks were lower. Also, find a good, experienced surgeon and do your research on them, complications can also be from an inexperienced surgeon, so do your homework on them!

Don't be discouraged by ppl who tell you it might be the easy way out, those that mostly say that are the ones who have never dealt with being overweight ever in their lives and have no idea the struggle. This has been the best thing I have ever done for myself, I wish I had done it 15 years ago! I am the sleeve's biggest supporter and would encourage anyone who has struggled with their weight to research the surgery.

Good luck in whatever you decide and if you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me!
Congratulations and thank you for sharing!
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #24
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb

Your BMI is not your weight times your height
Simply measure your height (in inches) and weight (in pounds). Multiply your weight by 703. Multiply your height times itself. Now divide the first answer by your height times itself. For example, say you are 5'3" tall (63 inches), and 130 pounds. The first multiplication is simple: (703 x 130 = 91,390). Now do the second multiplication: (63 x 63 = 3,969). Finally, the division: (91,390 / 3,969 = 23). Your BMI is 23.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #25
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
Simply measure your height (in inches) and weight (in pounds). Multiply your weight by 703. Multiply your height times itself. Now divide the first answer by your height times itself. For example, say you are 5'3" tall (63 inches), and 130 pounds. The first multiplication is simple: (703 x 130 = 91,390). Now do the second multiplication: (63 x 63 = 3,969). Finally, the division: (91,390 / 3,969 = 23). Your BMI is 23.
The PP said "Find out what your current BMI is by multiplying your weight and your height", I was pointing out that this was incorrect (or the poor OP was going to end up with a BMI in the thousands!)
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #26
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex

Almost a year and a half ago I was told there were markers in my blood that showed I would be diabetic within a year. I weighted around 355 pounds at that time. I had weighted as much at 375 pounds the summer prior. I do not do needles or blood, so dibeties was NOT going to work for me. Gastric Bypass (but not lap band) has a research history of reversing dibeties immediately after surgery, not just because of weight loss. I chose to have the surgery, which I had considered medical anorexia prior to that. I was having it for a medical reason, not vanity, and that made all the difference. I had no complications. And have lost almost 200 pounds from my highest weight. My friend had the lap band a couple of years before I had the bypass. She lost 60 pounds and that was it. Nothing more. My doctore recommended against the lap band. My only recommendation is to find a "center of excellence". Drs. who do bariactric surgery can become centers of excellence and some insurances will only work with these centers. but the centers also give a lot more support to the patient.
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #27
starann
In having children, I have lost my mind, but found my soul

PLEASE research any dr that you want to work with. I am a nurse and let my husband have the bypass only after I researched his dr, the program the hospital ran and their outcome data. Any WLS can be risky with any dr, but at least give yourself the best chance with a good program. The program he went with was with the hospital I work with, they offer pre and post surgery support (office visits, a forum board and a FB page), are a center of excellence and are picky/strict with their patients (won't do surgery unless you stop smoking and you have to lose weight before the surgery). My hubby, at his heaviest was 385, was about 350 pre surgery and is 204 now (10mo post surgery).

Good Luck!
Cody 12-19-03 and Shane 2-23-05
Casey 5-13-11
and last..........
Our little 'Souvenir' who arrived 6 weeks early, Josephine 4-24-14

You Brought WHAT Home From WDW?!?!?!?! A Setp 2013 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0#post49731870
starann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #28
Mrs.Malone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
If you have to follow such a strict diet afterwards, why not just follow the diet now and avoid having a major surgery?
This is what I'm wondering.
Say two people of similar size/metabolism/activity level etc follow the post surgery diet religiously for 6 months. Say one of the people has a lap band and the other does not. Would they both lose the same amount of weight?
Is the advantage of the lap band only that it makes you sick if you overindulge, so you learn to keep your eating in check to avoid being sick? Or does it do something to your body that actually accelerates weight loss?

I have 50 lbs to lose. I have a friend who has a similar amount to lose and is going for the lap band soon. I wonder if I could follow the post surgery diet she'll be following, and have the same results without the surgical risk.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #29
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I don't know but I guess maybe because the miniscule amounts of food you can handle with a lap band would leave someone w/out it feeling very hungry. My niece got a lap band and I went to the doctor and nutritionist with her several times and she was shown the proper amount of food that would satisfy her with proper band adjustment. It fit on a saucer the size one would use with a coffee or tea cup.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #30
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Congratulations, that's fantastic!!!!
Thanks! It's nice to know it works for some!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: