Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
mouseketeermama
Mouseketeer
 
mouseketeermama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winter Haven, FL
Posts: 286

Which would you chose?

My sister in law and I are taking a Girls Only 30th birthday trip in June. We are trying to decide the best place for us to stay. We plan to spend a lot of time lounging and would love to have some nice dining options. My sister in law has stage 4 ovarian cancer and leukemia, and her kidneys are not doing so well. It takes a lot for her to walk, so we would like a resort where she doesn't have to do too much of it. These are our options:

Wilderness Lodge-$252 per night

Yacht Club-$259 per night

Poly-$353 per night

Contemporary-$279 per night

Board Walk-$266 per night

Can you give me your choice and why you would chose it? We were thinking about CL at the Poly, but I haven't seen any discounts available for it yet, so I just don't think it will work. Our husband's are generous, but not that generous.

Any insight is appreciated!
__________________


Just a married to my raising our littleand tiny
mouseketeermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran
 
lsenquiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canton, Ga
Posts: 2,700

Are you planning to do any parks? If so which ones? I am a big lover of the EPCOT resort area so my first instinct was to say YC or BW. However, one of the big reasons I love it is because I can walk to EPCOT and DHS and because there is so much energy in the Boardwalk area. However if walking is a struggle for your SIL and you are looking for alot of down time then that might not be a good option.

So, I think I would go with Contemporary. I think the walk to the monoral is shorter than the walk to EPCOT from the YC or BW? I also think you can spend more time lounging around there. You can watch Wishes and the Electric Water Parade in the evenings and you would have good choices for meals.

Sending prayers and to your SIL for a full and quick recovery.
lsenquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
partypa
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 435

My sisters and I had one of our very best Girls Only Holiday staying CL at the Wilderness Lodge. It is so peaceful and Beautiful, I highly Recomend it
Be sure to book directly with Disney or use Dreamsunlimited so when those Summer discounts come out, you can Modify your reservation
Sending lots of Pixie Dust to your SIL
partypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...
 
LSchrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: no longer tagless on Long Island
Posts: 4,888

i would first suggest renting a scooter (check out the disabilities board). my parents had difficulty walking, and found they loved having the scooters (they hated the idea initially, of course).

there are quite a few dining options at the BW, or you could walk/ferry over to the BC/YC, swolphin, or world showcase (or DHS if wanted).

the BWI pool is imho, the most serene and visually appealing pool on property. also there are entertainers, carny games, etc on the BW nightly.

poly would be fabulous for the resort itself, as well as the options, but the $90 price difference could buy dinner nightly (or part of CL at the BW)

prayers for your SiL, and best wishes for a fabulous time!
__________________
laurie °o°
09/25-10/05/2014 BWV because home is where the BWVs are...
LSchrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 10,807

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseketeermama View Post
My sister in law and I are taking a Girls Only 30th birthday trip in June. We are trying to decide the best place for us to stay. We plan to spend a lot of time lounging and would love to have some nice dining options. My sister in law has stage 4 ovarian cancer and leukemia, and her kidneys are not doing so well. It takes a lot for her to walk, so we would like a resort where she doesn't have to do too much of it. These are our options:

Wilderness Lodge-$252 per night

Yacht Club-$259 per night

Poly-$353 per night

Contemporary-$279 per night

Board Walk-$266 per night

Can you give me your choice and why you would chose it? We were thinking about CL at the Poly, but I haven't seen any discounts available for it yet, so I just don't think it will work. Our husband's are generous, but not that generous.

Any insight is appreciated!
Wilderness Lodge.

It is small so very little walking. Artist Point is there and is a great restaurant.
The WL is so calm, and relaxing, I would think it would be great to just chill. I would also suggest CL there. Top Notch.

Good luck deciding!
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD7) (DS Due 1/16/15!!)


PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
scarlett24
Dreamin' of Disney
 
scarlett24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 334

I would choose The Polynesian. The resort itself is absolutely beautiful and not very big either. The grounds are lush with greenery, palm trees and flowers. At night, the tiki torches are lit which just adds to the ambiance. The Great Ceremonial House has plenty to do, a great store called Boutiki, and two wonderful restaurants and a great little bar that looks out on the resort & MK. The volcano pool is really great too. Also, it is really quick and easy to get back to your resort from the MK for a dip in the pool once it gets too hot. You are a quick monorail ride from the GF, Contemporary and MK. Also the TTC is next to the Poly, so a monorail ride to Epcot also. One of our favorite things about The Poly is watching Wishes from the beach. As you can tell, we LOVE the Polynesian. Hope you girls have a great trip.
__________________
May 1996 Grand Floridian
October 2005 Port Orleans Riverside
April 2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
December 2007 Wilderness Lodge

December 2008 Caribbean Beach Resort
May 2010 Polynesian
May 2012 Polynesian
May 2013 Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy-our first cruise! Poly & Yacht and Beach Club
April 2014 Polynesian

scarlett24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran
 
FantasiaMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 845

A monorail resort would most likely be a good choice because transporatation to the MK and EPCOT (through TTC) would be easier. There are also many great places to eat at the MK resorts.

Have a great trip!
__________________
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354
FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,565

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypa View Post
CL at the Wilderness Lodge. It is so peaceful and Beautiful, I highly Recomend it
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett24 View Post
I would choose The Polynesian. The resort itself is absolutely beautiful and not very big either. The grounds are lush with greenery, palm trees and flowers. At night, the tiki torches are lit which just adds to the ambiance. The Great Ceremonial House has plenty to do, a great store called Boutiki, and two wonderful restaurants and a great little bar that looks out on the resort & MK. The volcano pool is really great too. Also, it is really quick and easy to get back to your resort from the MK for a dip in the pool once it gets too hot. You are a quick monorail ride from the GF, Contemporary and MK. Also the TTC is next to the Poly, so a monorail ride to Epcot also. One of our favorite things about The Poly is watching Wishes from the beach. As you can tell, we LOVE the Polynesian. Hope you girls have a great trip.
I agree with both of these. We love both the Poly and WL for different reasons. If WL CL is doable, the lounge would be a great place to relax as the seating is set up around the railing overlooking the lobby, which is very relaxing, IMO. The Poly is also a great resort as the tropical atmosphere is beautiful and there are plenty of places to lounge and relax.
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
mmmears
DIS Veteran
 
mmmears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 8,258

If you are really going to be lounging around the resort, I'd try to stay CL if at all possible (just have to wait and see about those discount promotions...)

If you want to feel in the middle of everything, then I'd pick the Poly -- you can see the castle and the fireworks from the pool and beach area, so you don't have to be in the park to enjoy them. And there is a very relaxing atmosphere there. It is spread out, but you could try for a building close to the lobby. It's also nice because you can take a boat or monorail to the MK and a monorail to Epcot. Lots of good dining choices on the monorail, too.

WL would be nice if you want to get away from it all -- I think it's beautiful and when we visited we found it quite peaceful.

YC is a very nice resort if you like Epcot -- you can walk there or take the boat there and to DHS. Nice dining options, too.
__________________


* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
mouseketeermama
Mouseketeer
 
mouseketeermama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winter Haven, FL
Posts: 286

Thank you all for your insight and well wishes!
After a ton of back and forth, we decided to go with The Wilderness Lodge. Christina, my sil, has visited the lobby there before and she just fell in love with the atmosphere. I would love to do the upgrade to CL if we can get a good enough discount. Starting to get very excited now!
__________________


Just a married to my raising our littleand tiny
mouseketeermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
kimnvbva
Mouseketeer
 
kimnvbva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 437

I think you'll love the WL! Such s beautiful resort. It's nice and on the smaller end so there's not a lot of walking. Artist point is very nice too! Have a wonderful time! I'm excited for you!
__________________
Kim

September 2009 Caribbean Beach Resort
December 2010 Wilderness Lodge
August 2011 Port Orleans Riverside/Disney Dream
November 2012 Art of Animation Resort
June 2013 Coronado Springs
kimnvbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
cocofifi
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: displaced Alabamian
Posts: 225

WL sounds wonderful! I hope you and your SIL have a magical trip.
cocofifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
mmmears
DIS Veteran
 
mmmears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 8,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseketeermama View Post
Thank you all for your insight and well wishes!
After a ton of back and forth, we decided to go with The Wilderness Lodge. Christina, my sil, has visited the lobby there before and she just fell in love with the atmosphere. I would love to do the upgrade to CL if we can get a good enough discount. Starting to get very excited now!
We visited and love the lobby there and loved it, too! I think it's a great choice -- close to the MK but it feels more like a retreat -- I hope you can get a great discount and upgrade!
__________________


* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #14
yankeesgirl63
DIS Veteran
 
yankeesgirl63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,035

WL is beautiful! Wishing you and your SIL a wonderful trip!
yankeesgirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #15
Disneyhenry
DIS Veteran
 
Disneyhenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Washington State - To far from WDW!
Posts: 1,128

I am going to vote for Contemp or Poly, they both have good transportation system and that should make it easier if one is not feeling well, they can travel back to the resort faster
__________________


DH DSME


Disneyland 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008,2007, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1994
WDW Split stay AKV-Kinadi and POP 2011
DCL - DREAM 2011, Wonder to Hawaii 2012
Dec 2013 Family Reunion at WL!
Disneyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.