Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
shanshan444
Earning My Ears

Talking A few q's!

Hi all! We have never been on a cruise at all and we are taking our first one on the Dream in June. I have a few questions:

I hear there is formal night on the ship. Is this optional? I am trying to figure out what to pack and I thought all shorts but now I am not so sure. Are shorts not approriate for nights on the ship?

Also, what about motion sickness? I thought since it was so big you wouldn't feel much however the more I read the more I find that could be incorrect.

Any other info/tips that you guys could give me would be great!!

Sorry for all the "silly" questions I just want to be prepared and get the most out of our trip!

Thanks so much!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanshan444 View Post
Hi all! We have never been on a cruise at all and we are taking our first one on the Dream in June. I have a few questions:

I hear there is formal night on the ship. Is this optional? I am trying to figure out what to pack and I thought all shorts but now I am not so sure. Are shorts not approriate for nights on the ship?

Also, what about motion sickness? I thought since it was so big you wouldn't feel much however the more I read the more I find that could be incorrect.

Sorry for all the "silly" questions I just want to be prepared and get the most out of our trip!

Thanks so much!
On the 3 & 4 night cruises there is no formal night. There is a "dress up optional" night. Dress up or not as you wish. From the DCL site regarding shorts:

Question
What should I wear to dinner?
Answer
Dining Dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with additional attire requirements. Here's a breakdown of these events by cruise itinerary.

On 3-night cruises:
•One cruise casual night—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
•One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
•One "dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women

On 4-night cruises:
•First night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
•One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
•One "dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
•Final night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops

Now, this just addresses what to wear for dinner in the MDRs. Around the ship, you certainly may wear shorts with no problem.

Some people are more prone to seasickness, regardless of size of the ship. Others aren't. Do you have any problem with motion sickness otherwise?

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanshan444 View Post

Thanks so much!
Since you are going to be on the Dream I am guessing you are taking either a 3 or 4 night cruise. There is not a formal night for these sailings but there is an "optional dress up night". I will not get into whether shorts are appropriate for dinner on the cruise or not but I will tell you that the DCL website asks that no shorts or tank tops be worn to dinner. What you choose to wear is up to you.

As far as motion sickness, we did not have any problems but it would probably be a good idea to take some bonine or something similar with you just in case. Have a great cruise.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Weedy
DIS Veteran

First thing read through the info on theses boards. There is a red bar at the top of the page with loads of information.

Also read through a few days of questions. You will find lots of interesting information.

The shorts in the dining room questions comes up every few days. It is a very hot topic and gets discussed to death.

If you still have questions after reading a bit please feel free to ask. Dis boarders are happy to answer questions.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
daisywithak
Mouseketeer

If you are prone to motion sickness it is a good idea to bring some medicine or other remedy that you use. Motion sickness pills are available at guest service also if you find you need it.
daisywithak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: