Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #31
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Long car rides = obsessive DIsney planning with my husband.

We went to visit my family for Easter yesterday which meant a two hour drive each way. On the way there the kids watched a movie so I got to pick DHs brain about the trip and ask things he would normally be too distracted to really give thought to.

First up was Grandpa. Rich's grandpa lives about 1.7 hours away from WDW and since we very rarely see him I figured Rich would want to head over there one day to visit. I really REALLY like to know when he plans to do this ahead of time so I can, duh, plan. He says "I figured we would drive straight to his house and maybe crash there the first night since I never get to see him. He has a whole house I don't think he'll mind"

I will admit my first reaction was kinda like and then inside I was ... because it felt like shorting our vacation for an entire day. I mean I want to visit his family but a whole day seemed like a lot. After I thought about it though I realized that first day we are kinda just tired and out of it, so maybe driving there, saving some $$ and getting an early start on WDW in the am wasn't so bad. And that way we can visit first thing and not worry about traveling during the week and just relax.

So as one thing leads to another this led to...... number crunching!! If we skip a day, could we switch to a different resort and stay within budget? Hmmm...

So when we finally came home I opened up my trusty laptop and got to work

I will try to spare you the boring details but I have come to this conclusion;
if there is no discount we will probably still go with the 2 AsMo rooms.

If there is a room only we will go to AoA

Free dining and DH will get his wish and we will go to Ft.W.

If they do S/P/D I will have to price it out and go from there.

So tonight I will go back to checking resort threads. I had exhausted all the AsMo info I could find so now I will go back to Ft Wilderness maps and AoA reviews and pics.

And of course a complete reworking of our tentative schedule since our first day will be a day later now. Although it is just one day later, arriving in Dec instead of November makes it seem so much longer now :\ Though DH should probably talk to his Grandpa before I put anything in stone
Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #32
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Hey Jessie!

Okay--my first question is this: I see you live in Connecticut, but your husband is a Saints fan. I was born and raised in Maine and am a diehard Patriots fan so this concerns me.

Look forward to following along as your plans come together.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
carissanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #33
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
Hey Jessie!

Okay--my first question is this: I see you live in Connecticut, but your husband is a Saints fan. I was born and raised in Maine and am a diehard Patriots fan so this concerns me.

Look forward to following along as your plans come together.
Thanks for joining in

This concerns me too As I sit typing this in my Patriots sweatshirt, I often wondered how Rich fell in love with the Saints when he was with me, what a betrayal It started innocently enough, just watching a few games with his friend on Sunday. Then it escalated to a whole season and a jersey. If I had known his friend was a Saint's fan I never would have let it go that far.
On the plus side since he is NFC and we are AFC we rarely play each other. I have actually grown to like the Saints and he the Pats, I think we have the two best coaches in the league. We came really close to a Saint/Pats Superbowl a few years back and I almost hope that never happens
Old 04-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #34
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie View Post
Thanks for joining in

This concerns me too As I sit typing this in my Patriots sweatshirt, I often wondered how Rich fell in love with the Saints when he was with me, what a betrayal It started innocently enough, just watching a few games with his friend on Sunday. Then it escalated to a whole season and a jersey. If I had known his friend was a Saint's fan I never would have let it go that far.
On the plus side since he is NFC and we are AFC we rarely play each other. I have actually grown to like the Saints and he the Pats, I think we have the two best coaches in the league. We came really close to a Saint/Pats Superbowl a few years back and I almost hope that never happens
I like the Saints as well and think they're a fine 2nd team to root for--after the Patriots!

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
carissanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #35
mckelvey72
Mouseketeer

We too are going 11/30 - 12/7 and we too are doing a day at LegoLand. My son is very excited. Do you want me just to take your son with me HAHAHAHA!!!!!

I live on the DE/MD border so wave when you go drive by. We are flying though...cannot imagine that long drive!!

Donna

mckelvey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #36
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

One more decision made - Photopass / +?

Well, I went back and forth on this quite a bit. We have never purchased a photopass CD before and last trip was the first time we even had photographers take our picture. When I got home and saw how nice those pictures were, not to mention all of us together... well I definitely saw the appeal in using photopass! I know you can ask each photographer but to be honest with you, if I can leave the camera in the room and just use a camera phone for snapshots here and there, that would be great for me. Not to mention I feel weird constantly asking other people to take my picture for me.

So then the next question was to + it or not. I am such a cheapskate in normal life that the price tag alone makes me 199 for pictures?? But then during our 6 hour drive home from PA last week we had plenty of time to discuss the pros and cons of photopass (yeah, DH was mega psyched that I wanted to weigh the different photopass options endlessly ) and I was finally able to make a decision. Since we want to do the DDP and will end up at some of the participating character meals, not to mention the ride pics, we are going photopass+. I am really excited about it I also love that we will automatically get the prints at the participating restaurants Gah I cannot wait!!!

I have questions for any photopass experts here. About how long did it take you to get your CD? And can you use the images at other sites before you get the CD? I was thinking of sharing my account info in case whoever draws my name in the family secret santa wants to make me a book of our vacation but I didn't know how much more expensive the Disney version of a photobook is.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #37
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie View Post
I was thinking of sharing my account info in case whoever draws my name in the family secret santa wants to make me a book of our vacation but I didn't know how much more expensive the Disney version of a photobook is.
I don't think you even want to ask this question. We ARE talking Disney here. It will cost you an arm, a leg & a kidney for their book.

Take the CD. Load it into shutterfly. Wait for a coupon & get the book there. You will save LOADS!

I'm also getting the photopass plus for the first time in November & super excited to try it out!!!
Tinker326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #38
disneyfantotheend
DIS Veteran

Not a photopass expert, but we do LOVE the photopass. This will be our first year with + and we are psyched!!! We love all the big rides, so that alone will make it worth it. I always want to buy the ride photos, but never do, because I am too cheap. Problem solved!

I am thinking it took less than a week to get our photopass after ordering it.
disneyfantotheend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #39
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker326 View Post
I don't think you even want to ask this question. We ARE talking Disney here. It will cost you an arm, a leg & a kidney for their book.
Yeah somehow I suspected as much Thanks, I think we'll end up ordering through something like shutterfly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfantotheend View Post
I always want to buy the ride photos, but never do, because I am too cheap. Problem solved!

I am thinking it took less than a week to get our photopass after ordering it.
Yeah I have that too cheap problem too. And a week is great!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #40
::danielle::
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie
Yeah somehow I suspected as much Thanks, I think we'll end up ordering through something like shutterfly.

Yeah I have that too cheap problem too. And a week is great!
I'm going to rebrand all of us (myself included) into saying that we are NOT cheap. We simply want a good value for our money! After all, someone who is cheap doesn't spend $199 on a photo cd!

Can't blame us for stretching our dollars whenever possible!

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.

Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)
::danielle:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #41
disneyfantotheend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::danielle:: View Post
I'm going to rebrand all of us (myself included) into saying that we are NOT cheap. We simply want a good value for our money! After all, someone who is cheap doesn't spend $199 on a photo cd!

disneyfantotheend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #42
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::danielle:: View Post

lol true!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #43
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

Joining in from the December Code Watch group - nice to feel like I can obsessively plan somewhere without the eye rolling!

Love the movie nights, now I have to be more creative in introducing my DD to the Disney magic!

We are doing split stay Poly/BC Dec. 1st - 11th. First time at these resorts...

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #44
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringingUpDisney View Post
Joining in from the December Code Watch group - nice to feel like I can obsessively plan somewhere without the eye rolling!

Love the movie nights, now I have to be more creative in introducing my DD to the Disney magic!

We are doing split stay Poly/BC Dec. 1st - 11th. First time at these resorts...
There is a thread here with some great countdown nights! A Poly/BC trip sounds amazing Are you in the December FB group?

And welcome!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #45
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

The first planning wall

I have hit my first obsessive planning wall. There really isn't much more for me to plan right now. I have a list of ADRs I want but until hours/discounts come out I can't really nail anything down.

Actually since discounts usually come out after the ADR date I am in a bit of a pickle...

If free dining is offered I will buy 2 park tickets. I will have two full day tickets and will use one of my NE tickets to hop among the other two parks.
Or in scenario 2
If a discount is offered I will only buy 1 ticket so I can buy the DDP and then I will hop two days instead of one.
I know I could just book at a resort or make sure I hop to the same place for dinner either way but for some reason I can't seem to work it that way since in me head
Scenario 1
MK
AK
EP/DHS

and Scenario 2
AK
MK/Epcot
MK/DHS

See how in the first one DHS and Epcot are the same day and in the second one they aren't? Hmmm.. much to think about. I don't want to be an ADR hoarder but I might book an extra ADR or two.

At least our Universal, legoland and water park days aren't affected and I can plan those how I want.

Anyone else have different scenarios based on different discounts offered?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: