Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #31
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

Yes, the wristband tells where they are IN the club/lab. Every time we picked up our DDs they would tell us something like, "XX is in the lab, and the other two are in the club."
Old 03-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #32
KappaSigHero
Earning My Ears

That seems to be something that's not clear even with most online accounts- many people assume that it's a GPS- can anyone confirm exactly what the bracelet does? I can see it knowing which club your kid is in if they scan upon entry exit, but a transmitter of exact location throughout a ship doesn't sound feasible to me.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #33
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

I have a 3 year old. They can put themselves into places you'd never think that they could, or that you'd never think to look. I'm not at all surprised that the father and the CM could not find the kid underneath stacked chairs

OK.now that explains why they didnt find him and shows the blog for what it is, a cheap, rip off, poorly written and leaving out information to make it more dramatic!

Green Tea......now you may understand why I was questioning the blog.

The system did work the child never left the club. The parents did have a scare.......but the child was never in danger.

Yes this could happen on any line. The fact that this was DCL, is most likely the only reason the blogger even bothered writing about it! Other lines would not have been so dramatic to write about, but the Dinsey name, bring in readers.

It also seems to explain the Fathers intense interest in what he would get out of this in compensation.

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 03-11-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #34
zippingalong
Mouseketeer

Reminds me of my August cruse on the Dream.

I was sitting in the concierge lounge one morning waiting for my family to go to breakfast.

A woman came into the lounge looking for "Bobby"..Apparently he'd been sent to the lounge, by himself, to wait while his parents dressed. (I'd seen the family in the lounge several times and he looked about 5) Anyway, Bobby was not in the lounge as planned. Concierge was on the phone making calls to guest services and security etc. Mom, never left the lounge, just kept yelling to "Track him on the GPS!"

Concierge explained to Mom that it wasn't a GPS tracker..and kept on the phone. It was quite a bit of commotion.

Then, mom's wave phone rang. Mom said, "We found him. I'm out of here!" and walked out the door. No, "Thank you for helping", to the CM. Nothing. She was a horribly rude woman (we'd been treated to her and her family more than once on this trip).

The very next morning, Bobby was in the lounge unattended again.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #35
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

It doesn't work throughout the ship, solely in the club/lab. On the Dream/Fantasy, you can check them into the club or the lab and the kids can freely roam between the two areas. I couldn't see the computer that well, but it seemed as if there was an outline of the two areas on the screen and a little dot that showed where their transponder was.

Last edited by Lisavince3; 03-11-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #36
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDisneyFreaks View Post
Well, first, the dad's wrong, the bands don't tell you where on the ship or even in the clubs a child is, they only tell you if the child has been checked into the club or not, there's no GPS chip in the band at all.

Second, what's missing from this story is where the child found? Probably right there in the kid's club since he couldn't be checked out by anyone else, either that, or he was checked out by someone who had the right password and marked as a person who could check in/out and there was a huge misscommunication on the part of his party.

Disney has never offered refunds on cruises unless it's a major act of God and the cruise can't sail at all, even then they usually only offer to reschedule, so I'm not surprised he didn't get a refund, they did try and offer a couple of passes to the parks, so it's not like they ignored him, honestly, he panicked, didn't understand their lost child process, and wanted the world.
I agree with this especially when you read the part

Quote:
Luckily, there was no need for that, as a friend flagged Brent down to tell him the boy had been found and was unharmed. Crisis over, but there were still too many questions for Brent and his wife:
makes you think the friend had access or the child saw the friend and left with him....btw- could you imagine the panic if they made a ship wide announcement about a child missing???
Old 03-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #37
Weedy
DIS Veteran

My son got lost on Castaway Cay when he was 7 years old. Yes it was scary, but Disney did a great job. I told one of the life guards he was missing, they quickly got a description and began calling his name over their megaphones. He heard his name being called and asked the lifeguard if they were looking for him. He was out on the dock with the slides and the ropes climb I guess that what happens when your kids are good swimmers. He also thought he had permission to go out there. We were much better after that about being sure to communicate with both kids and adults about where you are going.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #38
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Reading the father's account makes me question even more...and not because it happened on DCL. First of all, the father "specializes in social media marketing, content marketing, and viral content creation." Next, he tells of how HE ignored his wife twice during this time -- which as a mom would make me react more than CMs going about doing their job to try and help find my kid. He says "My wife had shown up by this time and was understandably distraught but there was no time for me to console her." The next time he sees her he says "One look at the terror on my wifes face and the pleading look in her eyes told me he was still missing. I shook my head and she began to sob, calling out for help. I will never forget that moment. I was forced to turn my back on her and head the other way to continue the search for our son." Honestly, if my kid was missing I would rather have people looking for them rather than consoling me. You have to hold it together and keep your head so that you can answer questions until they are found. The only question I would have is why the band malfunctioned. He said he had looked all over in places kids could hide with the CMs, so he also overlooked his own child during the search. Also, at no time during the entire day did ANY kid want to go between the club and lab? I find that difficult to believe also.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
Old 03-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #39
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisavince3 View Post
...the kids can freely roam between the two areas. ...
This is the case on the Dream & Fantasy, but not the Wonder & Magic. The club and lab are across the atrium opening from each other and CMs have to take kids who can't sign themselves in/out from one area to the other.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads

Last edited by lbgraves; 03-11-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #40
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

Thank you, lbgraves. I should have specified that. I've changed my pp.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #41
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

The last two days were ruined? After they found the kid?

Of course they probably don't feel like putting him back in the club, but ruined? To the point where they should get a full refund?

Is he alleging they were all looking for his kid and that is why they did not have time to properly "console" his wife? Or just standing there staring? Obviously they couldn't all leave with other kids in the club.

Would also like to know how the kid ended up with the friend. Was the friend in there searching too? It seems the kid never left the club and fell asleep under some chairs and they just didn't see him. What is the father going to sue for?

Last edited by TDC Nala; 03-11-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #42
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala
The last two days were ruined? After they found the kid?

Of course they probably don't feel like putting him back in the club, but ruined? To the point where they should get a full refund?

Is he alleging they were all looking for his kid and that is why they did not have time to properly "console" his wife? Or just standing there staring? Obviously they couldn't all leave with other kids in the club.

Would also like to know how the kid ended up with the friend.
Each of my three kids have gotten away from us once.
They're now 31, 22 and 19 and I STILL will never forget that feeling and I may not have recovered from it for days.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #43
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Each of my three kids have gotten away from us once.
They're now 31, 22 and 19 and I STILL will never forget that feeling and I may not have recovered from it for days.
But did you sue the place they got away from you at, or ask for a full refund?

This kid didn't leave the club. He didn't go anywhere. He crawled under some chairs and fell asleep, and nobody, even the dad, thought to look under those chairs. Now he wants a refund?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #44
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Is it not true that if this had happened on another cruise line other than Disney, most of the people who have posted would have said this family should have a FULL REFUND and then some....along with maybe firing the club CM's and any number of other things????

Everyone would be saying "I'll NEVER cruise with them." Or "I won't LET my family and friends cruise with them".......
Old 03-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #45
gilsan
DIS Veteran

I just read the account of the incident on his blog. Wow he over reacted big time. Running all over the ship freaking out at the staff. While I am sure it was upsetting it doesn't sound like he was helping the situation at all.

I also don't understand why they think that the cruise should be refunded. His child was exactly where he was suppose to be. Perhaps if he had kept a cooler head he might have helped find him earlier.

The couple seemed quick to plan what they should get for the incident vs just being happy with the fact that their child was safe.

They managed to go out to dinner at Palo's the next day presumably without the child. They couldn't have been that traumatized. Did they put the child back in the club while they were at dinner

Quote:
Near the end of the meeting, the Cruise Director asked me what they could do to make it up to us. I told him I didnt have a specific remedy in mind, but something needed to be done, especially for my wife since this cruise had been booked to celebrate her birthday. What happened essentially ruined her birthday and spoiled the entire trip for her.

I mentioned that we had a dinner reservation for her birthday, and I thought to myself that maybe the Cruise Director or the Captain might come by to wish her a happy birthday and apologize to her in person. At least to show that they do value their customers and that truly cared for what had happened to us.

Later, I spoke with my wife and we agreed that the best outcome would be not having to pay for a vacation that was ruined. So I sent a note to the Cruise Director and then headed to the restaurant.
Dinner was alright, considering we were hardly in a mood to celebrate after what had happened. Disappointingly, no one came by to apologize or offer birthday wishes.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: