Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
reimero
DIS Veteran

I think that, as always, the truth is somewhere in between. Reading between the lines, it sounds like there was about a 45-minute window between when they couldn't find the child and when the child was found. During that time, the parents ran all over the ship trying to find the child while not getting an adequate sense of urgency from the cruise staff. There's a whole lot we don't know about this situation.

It's possible the DCL staff was distracted or didn't think it was that big of a deal. Alternately, the DCL staff could have been trained in responding in a calm manner that wouldn't escalate the level of distress. We don't know. A lot of the reports are based on the father's perception of the situation at the time, which, as others have mentioned, may actually have been counterproductive in terms of locating the child. DCL staff are all over the place, and, as mentioned, this sort of information would likely have been relayed in code, and not in public.

The two questions really are, was the child actually in any real threat of danger (as opposed to perceived danger), and was DCL actually dealing with it or did they treat it as parental overreaction? I don't know. I wasn't there, and I don't know DCL's policies on that. The malfunctioning wristband is a problem, obviously. But I also don't honestly see them letting a child that young off the boat unaccompanied and without a KTTW, and I have to think that the youth counselors assigned to the area would have noticed a child that young trying to leave without a parent. But, again, I wasn't there.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
3mmm
Mouseketeer

We lost a child on the Magic years ago. It was during the Until We Meet Again Gathering. We turned our back and when we looked back the elevator was closing and he was gone! Turns out he never got on that elevator but instead had run out to the balcony to see the characters.

I immediately when to the cruise director while my husband chased the elevator. She called the kids club and someone came immediately, took a description and sent an alert. The kids club staff did the searching. Turns out they found him just as he was knocking on our stateroom door. When he couldn't find us after a few minutes, he headed to the stateroom. My only complaint which I never voiced was that they would not let him stay in the room with my nanny who had answered the door. She had permission to sign him in and out of the club. They brought him back to the kids club, I was notified immediately and before I could even go get him, my husband had returned to the club and gotten him.

We were very happy with the response and they were very reassuring. Told me it happens all the time and that they would find him and they did.

Now, my child was a little older and he was gone maybe ten minutes so it is different, but it is scary. I thought Disney did a great job.

My point in posting is not to contradict the story but to reassure those who are alarmed by this.

DS 15, DS 13, DD11, DS9, DS6 as of August 2013

Last edited by 3mmm; 03-11-2013 at 01:52 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #18
KappaSigHero
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea

It's the blog for Consumer Reports. Not exactly a fly by night organization.....
Ever since CR bought the site from Gawker and laid off the original editorial staff, the site really went downhill.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I saw it as the father's information that "How had our son been able to craw away and fall asleep without anyone noticing?" The blog also said that "Luckily, there was no need for that, as a friend flagged Brent down to tell him the boy had been found and was unharmed." The fact that they didn't say the kid had been found in a different location. Given the slant of the article, I would expect the father to ask why the kid had been able to leave the club area if he had been found outside. That is just went through my mind when I read it though. DD has disappeared a few times, once it got to the point of getting a picture so the police could post it to all units but she had snuck back into the house and was found hiding behind a recliner. It can happen anywhere, even right under your nose. Regarding the bracelet, I thought that the CMs did say it had a GPS chip in it, which is why it is so expensive to replace if lost. I know the first thing the CM at the door use to do was scan our KTTW card and see if the child was still in the club. I don't see where it mentions that anywhere, though if the father was allowed into the club to look for his kid it may have said he was still in the club. I don't think complete info was given by either side.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
Old 03-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
It's the blog for Consumer Reports. Not exactly a fly by night organization.....
Its a blog blogs are opinions not always facts....that does not make it a journalistic group....many respected magizines use blogs to print thing they would not trust to the magizine.....AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 03-11-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #21
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I was curious to learn more about this story so I Googled it and found the Fathers original blog post

http://www.brentcsutoras.com/2013/03...st-confidence/

Based on what he writes his son never left the club and was never in any danger. He panicked and IMO that's why his trip was less than stellar. I don't think Disney owes this man anything. His son was in the club where he was supposed to be the whole time.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #22
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Now Stacy.........why would the blog not challenge the statement and print it loud and clear, if it was not true?

You may also note I was questioning why the child was not found during the first search by the Father and CM's, whose job it was to keep track of the child.....that doesnt really put DCL in a good light.

I also question why the family name was not included ..... and that this in somthing like 2 months ago.

AKK
How could the blog have challenged Disney's statement? I'm just saying that OF COURSE this is what Disney would say.

If I were missing a child, he wouldn't have been found later in the Club I'd searched up and down. I can't imagine "missing" or not seeing my kid if he was there the whole time.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
KappaSigHero
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace

How could the blog have challenged Disney's statement? I'm just saying that OF COURSE this is what Disney would say.

If I were missing a child, he wouldn't have been found later in the Club I'd searched up and down. I can't imagine "missing" or not seeing my kid if he was there the whole time.
OF COURSE Disney would confirm what the father says in his blog.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

Regarding the wrist bands, my DD got lost on the Wonder when she was five. It was very clear it was not a GPS locater for the whole ship, but could tell you if your child was scanned into the club/lab.

When our DD got lost (she booked and ran up stairs instead of down when our backs were turned), it took maybe 10-15 min to find her. I went to the clubs first,.where she hasn't gone in, they put out a call on walkies and a CM helped me look for her. Luckily a maintenance CM found her and under DCL protocol took her to the clubs where they got ahold of me.

Back to the article though, there obviously was a glitch though if it said the child wasn't checked in and they were?

DL: 1985, 1988, 1994, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 (x2),2013 (x2) WDW: 2010 DCL: 2010, 2011, 2012 Aulani : 2013, 2014
Old 03-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #25
KappaSigHero
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2aidanNpiper
Regarding the wrist bands, my DD got lost on the Wonder when she was five. It was very clear it was not a GPS locater for the whole ship, but could tell you if your could was scanned into the club/lab.

When our DD got lost (she booked and ran up stairs instead of down when our backs were turned), it took maybe 10-15 min to find her. I went to the clubs first,.where she hasn't gone in, they put out a call on walkies and a CM helped me look for her. Luckily a maintenance CM found her and under DCL protocol took her to the clubs where they got ahold of me.

Back to the article though, there obviously was a glitch though if it said the child wasn't checked in and they were?
Agreed that the glitch in the system is an issue that needs to be addressed.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #26
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post

All they had to do was ask the Father where the child was found and say so..........

and that is why I am questioning the Father and CM's did not find the child the first search...................it seems a little strange.

AKK
Old 03-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

My DD10 actually got separated from us on the first night on the Dream. We saw Golden Mickeys and said we were going to take the stairs to deck 5 and go to the kids club. Tons of people were walking up the stairs, my dd10 was going up quickly, and I was holding the hand of my DD4 who walks rather slowly. I figured it was no big deal because she knew where we were going. I get to deck 5, look all around, and can't find her. I walk down to the kids club, assuming she just walked ahead, she isn't there. I asked if they could track her via her wristband and they said no, it is only to provide info on if they are in the club-side or lab-side.

I panicked. Since it was the first night, she did not know her way around very well and it isn't like her to wander off. The ship was moving, so the CM jokingly said, "at least we know she is on the ship!" That really did not do much to ease my mind as I'm picturing some stranger pulling her into his stateroom (I watch too many crime-dramas on tv, I know).

Thankfully my 3DDs had the same outfits on so the CM quickly made a call via the intercom with her description and clothing details. The CMs were actually very nice and assured me they'd find her. My DH was up at a tasting, and we didn't have our wave phones with us, so I quickly checked my younger dds in the the club so I could search for her myself much faster. I thought to go up to our stateroom, even though i couldn't imagine why she would go there since she knew we were heading to the lab (and didnt have a room key). But she was there, standing outside our door crying. She said she thought we were going to the kids club but when I said we were taking the stairs to Deck 5, she thought I said we were going up 5 decks (we were on Deck 3, so she thought we must have been going to our room on Deck 8). Anyway, as we walked back to the lab, about 5 CMs stopped me and said, "you found her!" So they recognized that she was the missing girl based on the description. The one CM was in our hallway on his way to check our stateroom.

I know she is much older than the other little one who was missing, but it was very scary. With our situation, I felt as if DCL did a good job getting the word out. Even days afterwards, some CMs came up to her and joked, "you're not going to get lost again, right?" I am thinking her picture must have come up with the missing person announcement because I couldn't imagine how they would all recognize her days later based solely on the description 10 y.o. girl, long brown hair...
Old 03-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #28
Barkell
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
All they had to do was ask the Father where the child was found and say so..........

and that is why I am questioning the Father and CM's did not find the child the first search...................it seems a little strange.

AKK
According to the father's blog (linked in a previous post):

Quote:
I went inside and they told me that my son had crawled into a ‘tunnel’ of stacked chairs and fell asleep, not to be found until 45 minutes later.
I have a 3 year old. They can put themselves into places you'd never think that they could, or that you'd never think to look. I'm not at all surprised that the father and the CM could not find the kid underneath stacked chairs after a quick search. If the father had not gone off on a wild goose chase all over the ship and the mother had not become useless/inconsolable, the kid would have probably been found sooner. I'm glad he was OK.

The concerning part for me is the wristband. When we sail in May, I'll be sure to have the CM check my child's wristband before leaving the club. And remind my child to have a CM call me if she wants to take a nap.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #29
KappaSigHero
Mouseketeer

After reading Dad's blog, it's pretty clear that the Consumerist copied and pasted from the blog itself (there's a typo that the two share). Why would the writer choose to leave out vital information such as where the child was found?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #30
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

Last edited by JKMJ441724; 03-11-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: