Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
cruisingonthedream
Earning My Ears

Smile February vs May 7-N Eastern

Due to the high cost to sail during the month of May we are considering the month of February instead. We are just concerned about how the temps will be in St. Maartin and Castaway Cay at that time of the year. If you have sailed at this time of the year on the Fanasy please give me your suggestions whether or not you would have rathered going in the month of May.
cruisingonthedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingonthedream View Post
Due to the high cost to sail during the month of May we are considering the month of February instead. We are just concerned about how the temps will be in St. Maartin and Castaway Cay at that time of the year. If you have sailed at this time of the year on the Fanasy please give me your suggestions whether or not you would have rathered going in the month of May.
Just went last month to CC. The island was about 70 degrees the day we went with a little wind and some clouds. It was a cool day, did not get into the water. But, we walked the 5K, ate lunch and sat at Serenity Bay.

Been 2 times in April and 1 in May, both the weather was a little for consistant. It just depends on you and what you want to do at CC. Have been to CC 11 times and have been in the water everytime until the feb13 cruise. COuld have if we wanted but DW was already cool without getting in the water. Enjoyed the day anyway.

St. Maartin will be nice eith month. If you want a sunburn on CC, don't select February, but I will rebook in a heartbeat. Less crowds and the price is better as you stated.

2014 - 4 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 9, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(23) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy - 12/14
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015

Last edited by Justacruiser; 03-11-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

We just went on the Dream the last week of January. The weather was actually beautiful, low 80s and sunny during the day, but pretty chilly at night. However, I know a few weeks after our sailing had much cooler temps, so i think we may have been lucky. Our CC day was gorgeous, but the water was pretty cold. We had a great time, but the thing that bothered me about sailing during that time of year was how early the sun sets--just before 6 pm. We would leave the pool area around 4:30 to get ready for dinner, and after dinner it was completely dark and too chilly to be outside more than a few minutes. I'd love to go in May, and after dinner maybe we could ride the aqua duck, sit on our veranda, sit outside on one of the upper decks, etc. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisavince3
We just went on the Dream the last week of January. The weather was actually beautiful, low 80s and sunny during the day, but pretty chilly at night. However, I know a few weeks after our sailing had much cooler temps, so i think we may have been lucky. Our CC day was gorgeous, but the water was pretty cold. We had a great time, but the thing that bothered me about sailing during that time of year was how early the sun sets--just before 6 pm. We would leave the pool area around 4:30 to get ready for dinner, and after dinner it was completely dark and too chilly to be outside more than a few minutes. I'd love to go in May, and after dinner maybe we could ride the aqua duck, sit on our veranda, sit outside on one of the upper decks, etc. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great time!
We were on one of the ones a few weeks later (2/15 out of galveston) and CC was cold! I've sailed 3 times in February and this was the first time it's been cold. DH and I actually sat under blankets while our crazy children swam in the pool. I've been to CC in February when it's been in the 70s but it was tolerable. This trip I sat in the sand under a towel and prayed for those rare breaks between clouds when the sun would warm us up. My kids made sand castles and then played in the water but I swear their legs turned blue.

If you are willing to risk a potential cold front (which is apparently what happened to us), its really nice to sail in February. The ships are much less crowded, as are the ports.

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
dceks cruisers
Mouseketeer

Hi! We've been there twice in Feb. The first time was absolute perfect weather - low to mid 80's every day. The second time was the Feb. 8 cruise just over a month ago and we had partly sunny. We had a rain shower and some misty rain later but still had a great time on CC. The ocean was warm but then when you are from up north like I am, it feels warm as long as no ice!

Overall our most recent trip had temps in the mid 70's to maybe low 80's and had higher winds than expected but it was also same week as winter storms and lots of pressure systems going on. We were told by cast and locals that it wasn't typical. This is limited info but hope it helps. I have no complaints about Feb. cruises all in all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: