Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #31
pharmjenn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
yay! A Paddington Lover!

If any of you reading are in North America and don't know Paddington, you can check out some old TV episodes on NetFlix! Love Love Love!
How can someone not know Paddington? I guess since I was born in the UK, but moved back to the US when I was 2, we don't count as Americans!

Quote:
[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]
The girls were really pleased this room had a murphy bed, so neither had to have the top bunk. As it happened the murphy bed was pretty old and not very comfy, but Alice didn't seem to notice!
Esme is 5'6" and both beds were too short really. She managed but I certainly wouldn't want to be an adult on either of these.

[
I slept one night on the sofa and didn't think it was too short. I am 5'9''. It was a really rough night and DS5 had crawled into our bed. So after a bit (when I realized he was there) I switched to his.

Loving your report. We were on the Wonder in December and seeing the pics brings me back to a great vacation.
pharmjenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #32
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
How can someone not know Paddington? I guess since I was born in the UK, but moved back to the US when I was 2, we don't count as Americans!

I slept one night on the sofa and didn't think it was too short. I am 5'9''. It was a really rough night and DS5 had crawled into our bed. So after a bit (when I realized he was there) I switched to his.

Loving your report. We were on the Wonder in December and seeing the pics brings me back to a great vacation.
Hello,
Yeah, to be honest the sofa was longer than the murphy bed, but her feet did press against the end. She managed fine. We sleep curled up anyway. Murphy bed was funny though. Her feet dangled off the end. And as it was a little broken at the end, the mattress sagged - it looked like she was going to slip off!
You're so tired at the end of every day though, I think we could have slept anywhere!

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #33
dhopgood
Earning My Ears

I'm really enjoying your trip report! We will be on the Wonder April 22.

dhopgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #34
5forDis
Mouseketeer

We're on the same cruise dhopgood & I love reading this trip report with the great pictures and descriptions!

Thanks for taking the time to write this trip report!!!

14 12 9

5forDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #35
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhopgood View Post
I'm really enjoying your trip report! We will be on the Wonder April 22.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5forDis View Post
We're on the same cruise dhopgood & I love reading this trip report with the great pictures and descriptions!

Thanks for taking the time to write this trip report!!!
Thanks Guys!
April 22 is really close! You must be getting excited now!
I found a trip report for the Wonder a few weeks before we left and seeing the pictures got me really excited!
Another sea day and then the Cabana at Castaway Cay to come
Thanks for reading.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #36
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Video of stateroom

I was just downloading the next days pictures when I found some videos Alice made. She did a Paddington Video Diary that she's going to put together for family and friends.
But I thought I'd share her one of the Stateroom tour. She has Esme on camera. It's not a great tour! No bathroom, but it wouldn't occur to kids to show the toilet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA8C0...ature=youtu.be

Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #37
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Where's the pirate party?!

OK, yes, I realise now I completely forgot the Pirate Party!

I am using my photos as a guide to our report, and as I didn't take any of the pirate party, I thought I was done for the day!

Tonight's show was Toy Story.
When we booked, this was the show we were really looking forward to. Then I read lots of reviews that didn't like it at all. I'm not one to take the opinion of others as gospel, so went into it with an open mind. And we loved it!
Sure, so maybe it's a little out of the box compared to Disney's other shows, but it was very entertaining. I could have done with a little less Sid, but the toys were great! It was just fun to see all the characters like slinky and rex come alive. And Sid's toys were excellent too.
Admittedly I thought the story was a little slow in places, but the larger than life characters made up for that.
Obviously it's not everyone's cup-of-tea, but I hope those who haven't seen it will go in with an open mind.

I think we headed straight up for the pirate party after the show. Ponz saw us outside and remembered our names. This excited the girls and made them feel special.

We found a spot to stand by one of the podiums. A great place to stand by the way, as a number of characters come and dance there.

The party was much better than that on the dream, like all the activities on deck were in our opinion. Of course it's smaller, so you can see better, but the show itself was much better. The pirate show on the dream was so confusing we had no idea what was happening!
There was lots of dancing and we had to learn lots of steps. Ponz saw us and came over to dance with the kids. It was loads of fun and even Esme joined in! And when Minnie came to the little stage right by us to do some of the dance moves, it was a real treat. A special moment for Alice.

We have done the parks a number of times, but one thing I love about the cruise is there are often spontaneous meeting of characters, and occasionally they have time to spend with you. Just having even a costumed character like Minnie look your child in the eye for a few moments, is a memory they'll cherish.

We danced, we sung, we laughed.

And then there was fireworks!

After it was all over we decided not to go to the after party dessert buffet but rather return to our room for room service! This was on our 'must do' list, so we went back and ordered cookies and milk and the cheese plate. We played a game in our room and concluded our best day so far. And then we realized the boat was not rocking and the seas were calm!

Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #38
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

2nd sea day - and we can enjoy it

Last night the seas had been calmer and this morning much of the same. We were so excited to have a sea day we could enjoy. The last one just went by in a blur to be honest.

Again I was up early and made the clamber over the murphy bed to take these from the balcony. This was the most annoying thing about the room. With the murphy bed down it's really hard to get to the balcony. My thoughts of early morning coffee out there or late night wine were not easy and therefore not done as often as I'd hoped.
The view was worth the gymnastics this morning though.

We'd taken our nightly peek at the navigator while having milk and cookies. Strangely there was very little that we wanted to highlight.
There were 2 more animation classes we wanted to do, but that was about all.
Looking at the previous sea day we marked 9 activities, but today just 2.

The activities in the Edge did not interest Esme at all. Just catering more to the younger crowd I guess. (They keep letting those younger ones up from the Lab! ) Bingo? Apples to Apples jr?
To be honest there were a few things I think she may have done if she'd connected with more people in the club. She likes 'Just Dance' and the Gender Wars game, but it's not so much fun making a fool out of yourself if you're on your own!
Nothing was good enough to be more appealing than hanging out with us!

So, after a lazy start we headed to Parrot Cay for breakfast. This was a nice balance between the formality of Tritons to the craziness of BBB. We could choose a variety of things but still be waited on for drinks etc.

When back in our room the beds were put away and I captured my favourite shot of the cruise.
This is what my rose-tinted idea of cruising looks like.

I think we did a little shopping now.
The girls had lots of money burning a whole in their metaphorical pocket.

Alice immediately saw the pirate ship! It has mickey pirate and lots of other characters. She has the cinderella castle and also likes playmobile and lego friends, so i knew she'd play with it. I was dreading seeing how much it was. I was very surprised to see it was only $50. Compared with lego this was a bargain! And as she was buying it with her (early) birthday money from her nana, I thought nan would be pleased with this too.

It was soon time for the first animation class so Ben and Alice carted the ship back to the room while Esme and I finished up browsing. I bought a DCL swim top which i thought I'd need for Castaway tomorrow and she bought a pin.

now...I hadn't mentioned earlier, but each night the girls had been pin trading at the station near the theatre. Esme had started a collection of pooh character silhouette pins and by now had all but 2 of the 8-set. As we were paying she saw one she needed on the CM's patch. Of course she didn't have her pins to trade, but he let her take it. Then she dashed back to get her pins to give him one back! I felt I had to hang around in the store as collateral! While I was waiting I bought a christmas decoration and some mickey head dice. We play a lot of yahtzee and thought these would be fun.

Esme back, pins traded and we were off to Animator's Palate to draw Goofy.

After the class the girls headed back to our room with the pictures while Ben and I headed to Cove Cafe for some caffeine.

When we got back to the room the girls were bursting! They'd had a delivery!

And an envelope with details of tomorrows delights!

We were all excited now, so ordered room service and sat out on the verandah for a game of yahtzee with the new dice!

Ordered 4-cheese pizzas and the steak sandwiches.
Both were delicious. Only problem, I didn't read the description well enough. The four cheese pizza includes gorgonzola cheese. So not the girls favourite.

After lunch and the game, we were getting up from the verandah floor when Esme's new ring flew off her finger and under the dividing wall to the next verandah! We peeked under but couldn't reach it. We thought about sticking something under there to get it, but thought it might be alarming if anyone was in the room!
Just joking, Ben said, "I'll just climb on the outside of the ship and shimmy over"! The girls didn't realise he was joking and both cried out "no stop' in alarm. Quite a funny moment!
Instead they went to knock on the door, but no-one was home. Fortunately our room host was out and about and he went in and got it for us.

All good.

Next - more drawing and a nice surprise.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #39
jm106
DIS Veteran

Your family sounds like a lot of fun! Great TR.

jm106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #40
pharmjenn
Mouseketeer

I love that Pirate Ship, and you are right, the price is not bad at all. The Jake and Neverland Pirates one is around $45 and it only has a couple pieces. May have to be on the lookout for that one!

You photos of the cabanas are now making me want to have one as well. I have never been to CC, but figured the cabanas wouldn't be worth it. It looks like you get a lot of stuff included.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #41
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm106 View Post
Your family sounds like a lot of fun! Great TR.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #42
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great TR! Love all the pics!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #43
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
I love that Pirate Ship, and you are right, the price is not bad at all. The Jake and Neverland Pirates one is around $45 and it only has a couple pieces. May have to be on the lookout for that one!

You photos of the cabanas are now making me want to have one as well. I have never been to CC, but figured the cabanas wouldn't be worth it. It looks like you get a lot of stuff included.
Wait until you see the pictures of the real thing!

They are a lot of money. But I did some, what my husband calls, 'Mummy math'.
If you add in $70 for snorkel equipment, $24 for cycles, $48 for floats and tubes that's $142 without drinks and snacks. With our $150 on board credit the Cabana only cost us $200. That's Mummy math.

I can't wait to share castaway pics. Have a snow day here today so I hope I'll get time later to sort through the memories of paradise!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #44
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Here's a taste of what's to come.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #45
pharmjenn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Wait until you see the pictures of the real thing!

They are a lot of money. But I did some, what my husband calls, 'Mummy math'.
If you add in $70 for snorkel equipment, $24 for cycles, $48 for floats and tubes that's $142 without drinks and snacks. With our $150 on board credit the Cabana only cost us $200. That's Mummy math.

I can't wait to share castaway pics. Have a snow day here today so I hope I'll get time later to sort through the memories of paradise!
I like that math! We are a family of 3, so it wouldn't be worth it. But if we ever do an extended family cruise, and can fill the cabana with 6-10 people, the price goes down so much per person it would be worth it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: